Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Absolutely, however all three goalies (Pavelec included) have very bad rebound control and puck abilities which is why they all finished bottom of the league in expected save percentage, even though Hellebuyck had one of the best adjusted save percentages in the league. Yes their defense has allowed a lot of initial high danger shots, but their style of play especially Pavelec's naturally allows a lot of secondary chances. That's why they need a better goalie coach, and of course they need to shore up their defense.

We get back Myers our D is in pretty good shape. New goalie coach? Absolute priority.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
My guess is that Winnipeg was pushing hard for a long term ~5 mil contract, and Trouba probably wanted quite a bit more to stay in Winnipeg long term. I don't think either side wanted a short term contract, but this is what it came down to.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
So now that he's signed and ready for any NHL team. Do you think the Trouba trade will be the next Blockbuster and will it be bigger than the Kane-Bogo deal?!?!

Discuss.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
So now that he's signed and ready for any NHL team. Do you think the Trouba trade will be the next Blockbuster and will it be bigger than the Kane-Bogo deal?!?!

Discuss.

Yes and yes. Maybe not as many pieces involved, but more quality for sure.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Interesting the prevailing wisdom that this is such a great deal from a monetary perspectivw....

Last 3 bridge deals for semi-comparable young DMen:

1. Murray (CBS): 2 years, $5.7M
2. Ceci (OTT): 2 years, $5.6M
3. Dumba (MIN): 2 years, $5.1M

Trouba is the class of the field there, but he's also the highest paid.

Seems like a fairly standard deal to me...

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
This is a concession on behalf of Trouba.

He accepts less money and ensures that the assets going to the Jets are even higher now that the contract value for the next 2+ years are laughably low. The higher premium limits the number of possible landing places for him too.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Interesting the prevailing wisdom that this is such a great deal from a monetary perspectivw....

Last 3 bridge deals for semi-comparable young DMen:

1. Murray (CBS): 2 years, $5.7M
2. Ceci (OTT): 2 years, $5.6M
3. Dumba (MIN): 2 years, $5.1M

Trouba is the class of the field there, but he's also the highest paid.

Seems like a fairly standard deal to me...

Trouba cannot be compared to these guys.

Apples to oranges.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
This is a concession on behalf of Trouba.

He accepts less money and ensures that the assets going to the Jets are even higher now that the contract value for the next 2+ years are laughably low. The higher premium limits the number of possible landing places for him too.

That assumes they plan to trade him though. Enstrom's contract comes off the books at the end of next season IIRC. On July 1, 2017 the Jets can easily offer Trouba big $$$ to extend the deal long-term and get ahead of anything that would get messy if they waited too-long.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No he didn't, Pretty sure he signed that sweetheart of a deal to get traded to an American team in the near future. Or else he would've signed a long term deal.

This sweetheart deal likely ups his trade value. He's still an RFA until after the 2019-2020 season, he'll have arbitration rights after this season I believe?

Works well for both sides, if Trouba wants out he's opening up his options with this favourable deal. WPG now has far better leverage in trade negotiations as well for a better return.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Yep i see it being like Kyle Turris, All over again.

Except it really isn't. The Turris situation was much more rancorous with plenty of hard feelings on both sides of the table. The Trouba thing conversely looks like business as usual on this end, at least thus far. I suspect your want to compare the two situations as being analogous stems from your desire to have the player on your team.

Just because the two players share the same agent does not necessarily mean the end result will prove similar.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Let me spell it out.... $3M cap hit is much easier to fit under the cap for a lot more teams than a higher cap hit. More potential teams = easier to trade.

True. And assuming that the trade happens this year or in the summer, the team acquiring him will have more time to move other assets if they are trying to fit in under the cap.

There's a strong market for good, young defenders, especially RHDs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad