Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Theodore/Larson would be the prospect I'm sure we'd be looking for in addition. In terms of fwd prospect coming back that one could be tricky with each fan base expectations and valuations of players. I can't remember which insider who said it (MacKenzie, Dreger or Lebrun) but they said that cap space has become an asset in itself, and getting the younger, better (IMO) and higher ceiling D man along with cap space is also extended value on top of Trouba. And I think that's where our fan bases may disagree with the prospect being attached to Trouba would be, along with player valuation.

That's fair, but many people looking to acquire Trouba could think his value is damaged/diminished because in 2 years he will be arbitration elligible/1 year form UFA, and looking a tough negotiation.

With Vatnanen, you get a premium asset in the NHL (RHD offensive defenseman) signed to a good contract for term.

I think most duck fans would pass if ask is a Theodore/Larson and no top shelf forward prospect coming back. Theodore in particular, is close to untouchable because of the looming expansion draft and the fact he would the guy we expect to slide in to whomever we lose/trade.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
we have quite a few:

Pettersson - probably could be had with nothing/minor prospect coming back (2014 2nd round pick)
Theodore/Larson - we'd expect a very good forward prospect back

I'd consider it for Vatannen & Theodore, but the player/prospect probably wouldn't be the quality you're wanting (Stafford, Burmi, maybe Armia, Dano)

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
thanks for responding, can you explain why? RHD? not the package you'd look for, prefer to just keep him?

A 1 for 1 involving a RD isn't necessary with Byfuglien and Myers. A top 4 LD or LD prospect with top 2/4 potential is what they're looking for. That's not to say they would accept a RD prospect with top 4 potential. He'd have to a pretty good one.

IMO Anaheim should be looking for a F to help with scoring.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
A 1 for 1 involving a RD isn't necessary with Byfuglien and Myers. A top 4 LD or LD prospect with top 2/4 potential is what they're looking for. That's not to say they would accept a RD prospect with top 4 potential. He'd have to a pretty good one.

IMO Anaheim should be looking for a F to help with scoring.

Reducing cap by 2 million would do that.

We have Montour a top rhd prospect but no one wants to move lindholm or even fowler anymore.

Vatanen makes sense from ducks pov. Despite being a top4 defenseman, he actually thrives on 3rd pairing taking advantage of weaker matchups.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I'd consider it for Vatannen & Theodore, but the player/prospect probably wouldn't be the quality you're wanting (Stafford, Burmi, maybe Armia, Dano)

Theodore is considered one of the top blue line prospects in the league. I don't think the difference in value between trouba and vatanen is him.

A quality forward prospect might get it done but agree those guys aren't of interest.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Reducing cap by 2 million would do that.

We have Montour a top rhd prospect but no one wants to move lindholm or even fowler anymore.

Vatanen makes sense from ducks pov. Despite being a top4 defenseman, he actually thrives on 3rd pairing taking advantage of weaker matchups.

Vatanen probably works better for another team, not the Jets. He's also not close to Trouba in value in a 1 for 1. Like other Jets fans have mentioned, there'd need to be a solid add like Theodore or possibly Larsson.

I really don't see these teams ad good trade partners with what's being offered.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Theodore is considered one of the top blue line prospects in the league. I don't think the difference in value between trouba and vatanen is him.

A quality forward prospect might get it done but agree those guys aren't of interest.

I think we get an offer from a team coming closer to meeting our needs.

Theodore is a player of interest, but his value isn't enough alone. Adding a pick would be a secondary piece and not necessarily needed.

Also, don't need to get smaller and less physical on our blueline. With Byfuglien, Myers and Enstrom receiveing most of the PP minutes, there's no room for Vatanen at the cost of Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's fair, but many people looking to acquire Trouba could think his value is damaged/diminished because in 2 years he will be arbitration elligible/1 year form UFA, and looking a tough negotiation.

With Vatnanen, you get a premium asset in the NHL (RHD offensive defenseman) signed to a good contract for term.

I think most duck fans would pass if ask is a Theodore/Larson and no top shelf forward prospect coming back. Theodore in particular, is close to untouchable because of the looming expansion draft and the fact he would the guy we expect to slide in to whomever we lose/trade.

Vatanen is not as good as Trouba, and will cost more over the next 4 years than Trouba would, without much question.

Ducks would have to add a lot to Vatanen to start the conversation.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Just what he said when he came back, that it wasn't about Winnipeg/Canada. Up to you if you choose to believe him.

A lot of what he said at the scrum seemed forced except for that. Sure sounded like a coach/player problem after hearing what Maurice had to say too.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Thai do you have a link to that scrum....I cannot find it anywhere....thanks in advance.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Unless we are desperate to trade Trouba (and we are definitely not) I'm not even sure that we do the Vatannen + Theodore thing. Yes Theodore has all sort so potential but so far thats all it is.

I suggested throwing in some value forwards that we might have to expose to expansion anyway, thats more than fair (quite sure thats more than enough from our perspective already). Thats as good as it gets here.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Soooo a bunch of posters who said that Trouba would come back and pull a Turris, man I'm not sure how anyone could be so wrong :D

He has been a beast on the ice took a puck in the head yesterday while sliding to block a shot while up 3-0.....

Too bad we won't have him here long term (I still think he is moved in the next 12 months) but if he keeps his play up Chevy's ask price will notch up a few ticks :D

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Soooo a bunch of posters who said that Trouba would come back and pull a Turris, man I'm not sure how anyone could be so wrong :D

He has been a beast on the ice took a puck in the head yesterday while sliding to block a shot while up 3-0.....

Too bad we won't have him here long term (I still think he is moved in the next 12 months) but if he keeps his play up Chevy's ask price will notch up a few ticks :D

He obviously was trying to get a serious head injury on that play, so he could get LTIR'ed and not play for the Jets again.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
God I hope that a long term solution is figured out that keeps him here.

He played really really well yesterday.

I suspect that if the Jets play continues as it is at the moment, it might be easier to sign him long term if it looks like we will be in the playoffs more often now then not.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He totally dominant out there. Can't believe he missed training camp and is still playing like he is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->