Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
And I'm saying if you think the offer that you may have thought was good enough in the past will get it done now, I doubt it. Chevy will be in no hurry whatsoever to make a trade now. I suspect one will happen before the draft, however it is possible that it may not happen at all (unlikely, but possible)

So better be prepared to come with an even better proposal than you thought before, because there will be more players at the table as time goes on.

We already know you think you will get Mcdonagh, Miller, Hayes and Skjei for Trouba..... Lets wait and see what happens

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The way I see it, it's just enough years for the expansion draft to be over. Then a deal like this, a good cap team can trade for him since his hit is low.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
But Jet fans have been saying it's a lot easier to move him now!

I didn't post Mckenzie's tweets because of anything anyone said in this thread. I posted them because I now agree with much of the viewpoint, and especially after hearing the GM refer to Trouba as a part of the family and a big part of the Jets future going forward during a radio interview this afternoon. He was almost getting emotional when referring to pictures from Trouba's draft that hang on the wall of his office. Given some hindsight, I now don't think this was a deal to facilitate a trade, but rather, that this is pretty much a standard bridge for a player that was asking big coin to sign long-term. Chevy sure doesn't sound like he intends to trade him anytime soon. It appears, at least in my own view, more like a challenge to the player to prove your worth. From the sounds of Chevy's interview, I doubt he is traded anytime soon. Like Mckenzie said, they signed him because he fills a need.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
So what you're saying is that even though Toronto was told "they were not a fit" yesterday, they're going to pay just as much (or in your words) even more than they would yesterday just because they'll have him for 18 months before having to deal with the same headache Winnipeg has been dealing with?

Do you even read what you write? That's the very definition of illogical.

Not a fit. Jets want a LHD don't they? Fowler could be a fit at some point. Not sure if that's a fit either, but it does make some sense for both teams.

Jets just dealt with a player wanting out, why would they have Fowler as the key piece who has les than 2 years left untill he can be a UFA? The risk isn.t worth the player, not for Trouba,

Trouba is an asset that has almost 4 years left before he can be a UFA it is prudent the Jets get equitable value back. If they don't get it year wise they need to get it from the on ice value.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Pretty good deal for the Jets here. Trouba can make it worth it for himself if he comes out and has a strong two years and earns a big payday at the end of this deal. Hopefully he doesn't sulk about having to come back to Winnipeg as he can be a big part of their blue line

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
This ×1000000. For Chevy to get what people thought he wanted to move him he'd need a sweetheart contract. It's short enough for Trouba to settle and if Winnipeg wants to keep him it gives him time to work his way into the spot he wants but long enough for him to bring in decent assets in a trade.
Most definitely. I think some people where in denial when they didn't think him being an unsigned RFA who wanted to be traded didn't hurt his value. Now that he has a nice cheap bridge contract teams can't lowball as much. I'm curious to see how badly he wants out. Is there a chance he stays and the they trade like Myers instead? Will be interesting to see

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
don't understand why posters think Chevy and the Jets beat Trouba and made him sign a bridge deal.

Trouba doesn't want to play for the Jets. He wants to be traded and already asked to be moved. So the Jets are still losers in this as they have a player who doesn't want to play for their organization. Chevy was not able to get this kid to change his mind and be part of the team long term.

Don't kid yourselves. Just because he signed a 2 year bridge at 3M teams understand Chevy is in a tough spot with a guy who doesn't want to be there. We all know how Jets players treat guys who don't want to be there.....see KANE. Now I am not saying Trouba is Kane but same idea that they both wanted out.

Teams are not going to overpay for Trouba knowing they will have to extend him come July 1st to make it worthwhile to deal for him in the 1st place.

Don't think the Jets won anything today.

Well they won because fact is Trouba and his agent thought they were getting out of Winnipeg without ever having to sign there. Chevy stood his ground and dug in. Trouba wasn't getting dealt without first signing a good value contract.

That's why Trouba and his agent are considered the losers here. They may have got their end game, but it cost him a month of the season and now he comes back with his tail between his legs. Not exactly what they had in mind.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I didn't post Mckenzie's tweets because of anything anyone said in this thread. I posted them because I now agree with much of the viewpoint, and especially after hearing the GM refer to Trouba as a part of the family and a big part of the Jets future going forward during a radio interview this afternoon. He was almost getting emotional when referring to pictures from Trouba's draft that hang on the wall of his office. Given some hindsight, I now don't think this was a deal to facilitate a trade, but rather, that this is pretty much a standard bridge for a player that was asking big coin to sign long-term. Chevy sure doesn't sound like he intends to trade him anytime soon. It appears, at least in my own view, more like a challenge to the player to prove your worth. From the sounds of Chevy's interview, I doubt he is traded anytime soon. Like Mckenzie said, they signed him because he fills a need.

I do hope you're right, but just never got that read when listening to that interview. May have to listen to it again, but it sounded for all get up like a guarded but slightly less guarded than normal Chevy.

Going to have to listen again, but did he say in there that there was nothing to the talk of Trouba not wanting to play in a Canadian center?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
But Jet fans have been saying it's a lot easier to move him now! :laugh:

It is easier to trade him now. Where did Mckenzie say it wasn't? He said he doesn't see it as being more likely for reasons on the Jets' end, not other teams. His value has gone up, that doesn't matter if Chevy doesn't want to trade him.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Listened again. When Lawless asked him if they had agreed to immediately trade him once he was under contract, Chevy seemed a little off his game for a moment & came back with a rather lame answer about Trouba being a Jet now and blah blah blah. Seemed it would have been easier to flat out deny that any such conversation had occurred; seemed like he dodged the question there.

Then when he got sentimental about having drafted him & had his picture up & always wanted to keep him as a jet, thats fine but it really seems to me that this may still be a one-way street. Then he goes on to say that "from the very onset, Jacob didn't have a problem playing in Wpg, didn't have a problem playing in Canada...". Hasn't that been contradicted by Overhardt since then?

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I don't feel there was a clear winner here. I don't think a bridge deal is what Chevy wanted to sign him at. I think he wanted to sign him longterm to be part of the core of the team. Trouba wants out but realized he needs to play, and play well for him to be traded, since no deal will happen unless Chevy gets what he wants in return.

Looks more like they met in the middle and a trade is still to come later in the season or at least by next year's draft.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
The aav isn't amazing for a bridge deal. imo his value would've been higher with a long term deal in place because he'll have to be signed long term after already going through a rough negotiation. Someone want to explain why a bridge deal would boost trade value significantly?

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg

Hes saying that as PR so that fans dont boo, thinking he'll be here longterm. Trouba will be traded, since when as Jets fans did we start taking everything Chevy says at face value?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The aav isn't amazing for a bridge deal. imo his value would've been higher with a long term deal in place because he'll have to be signed long term after already going through a rough negotiation. Someone want to explain why a bridge deal would boost trade value significantly?

From the stand point that the AAV for the next 2 years is much lower than the near market price of a long term contract. If this cap hit allows teams who could not stomach the price of acquiring Trouba if it meant making additional moves to become cap compliant then demand goes up. Some teams would have to wait to the summer to go after a trade for Trouba now it may allow them to do it in season. A team would be more likely to trade a player of similar value on double the salary. i.e. the Jets could take back a 5 - 6 mil player and the other team is only adding 3mil.

The new "math" could open the door to more teams and that is good for increasing Chevy's chances of getting a deal he is comfortable with.

If he were signed long term that may have had separate positive impacts as well.

I think Trouba signed = more value than being in limbo.
New team can re-sign him this summer and get a cheap year out of him.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
From the stand point that the AAV for the next 2 years is much lower than the near market price of a long term contract. If this cap hit allows teams who could not stomach the price of acquiring Trouba if it meant making additional moves to become cap compliant then demand goes up. Some teams would have to wait to the summer to go after a trade for Trouba now it may allow them to do it in season. A team would be more likely to trade a player of similar value on double the salary. i.e. the Jets could take back a 5 - 6 mil player and the other team is only adding 3mil.

The new "math" could open the door to more teams and that is good for increasing Chevy's chances of getting a deal he is comfortable with.

If he were signed long term that may have had separate positive impacts as well.

Exactly. Now a team can trade for Trouba AND free up cap space for a potential deadline deal

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Exactly. Now a team can trade for Trouba AND free up cap space for a potential deadline deal

As someone mentioned Jets could retain salary on him as an easy way to increase value without adding a valuable asset. Imagine him at a 1.5 hit per year for the new team.

Not something that would be in our franchises playbook but if we have cap space it's an interesting way to spend it.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If he's not traded, that's a huge boost to the Jets. They NEED to shore up that defense because they are leaving their goalies exposed big time. Hellebuyck in particular is a good goalie who is getting thrashed.

Absolutely, however all three goalies (Pavelec included) have very bad rebound control and puck abilities which is why they all finished bottom of the league in expected save percentage, even though Hellebuyck had one of the best adjusted save percentages in the league. Yes their defense has allowed a lot of initial high danger shots, but their style of play especially Pavelec's naturally allows a lot of secondary chances. That's why they need a better goalie coach, and of course they need to shore up their defense.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
As someone mentioned Jets could retain salary on him as an easy way to increase value without adding a valuable asset. Imagine him at a 1.5 hit per year for the new team.

Not something that would be in our franchises playbook but if we have cap space it's an interesting way to spend it.

Someone like Josi has to come back if the Jets retain half of his already low cap hit lol.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Jets just dealt with a player wanting out, why would they have Fowler as the key piece who has les than 2 years left untill he can be a UFA? The risk isn.t worth the player, not for Trouba,

Trouba is an asset that has almost 4 years left before he can be a UFA it is prudent the Jets get equitable value back. If they don't get it year wise they need to get it from the on ice value.

I'd say Mattias Ekholm is a good piece to look at. Signed to a very friendly 6 year deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yep, thats exactly what you said -- that his value hadn't changed a bit now that he's been signed to a bridge.

You know you're wrong with that like you've been with so many other assumptions you've made on the trade thread the last week, so just continue spewing misinformation & then claim "I told you so" when the exact opposite happens.

LOL. Whatever makes you sleep better at night bud. :laugh:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Listened again. When Lawless asked him if they had agreed to immediately trade him once he was under contract, Chevy seemed a little off his game for a moment & came back with a rather lame answer about Trouba being a Jet now and blah blah blah. Seemed it would have been easier to flat out deny that any such conversation had occurred; seemed like he dodged the question there.

Then when he got sentimental about having drafted him & had his picture up & always wanted to keep him as a jet, thats fine but it really seems to me that this may still be a one-way street. Then he goes on to say that "from the very onset, Jacob didn't have a problem playing in Wpg, didn't have a problem playing in Canada...". Hasn't that been contradicted by Overhardt since then?

Don't read too much into what a GM say. Bergevin said Subban wasn't getting traded, we all know how that turned out.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

The bolded is a really good point. For the part regarding cap savings buying time, I'm still not sure. I think a long term deal would be valued at 5-6 mil. Let's split it asst 5.5 for simplicity. I'm struggling to think of a team with the "expendable" assets to get him and is that close to the cap. I'd think Winnipeg would take a 1-2 year dump to get it done. Maybe not. It doesn't matter now and you're right, it's flexible but obviously more secure than no deal. Appreciate the thoughtful response :cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad