Would you want Nurse in the NHL next year?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The one crappy thing is... if we draft Ekblad, I really think both these guys will be NHL ready. Nurse may get sent down if they want him to fill out more. But like I said on Ekblad, he has 3 years in Junior already. He weights 24 lbs more than Nurse and 13 lbs more than Jones, while being a year younger.

Nurse will get the 9 games for sure. I just can't see him not holding on to the spot if guys like Brodin and Trouba are making it in their 2nd season after being drafted (yes he is in their league)

Oct 15, 2008
Nurse could have made the team this year. If anyone is watching him play in junior he has been dominant. There is nothing to gain from him going back there next year. He will be on the Oilers next year and rightly so.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Nurse could have made the team this year. If anyone is watching him play in junior he has been dominant. There is nothing to gain from him going back there next year. He will be on the Oilers next year and rightly so.

Totally disagree. For d-men, especially physical ones, they need to mature to play in the NHL. Dominating against kids is one thing, doing so against men is another.

Until he's at least 205, I want him to play in the minors. If he's there next season and earns a spot, then great. But if he looks fantastic in TC, but still can't play his physical style effectively at that level, he needs to go back down.

Oct 15, 2008
Totally disagree. For d-men, especially physical ones, they need to mature to play in the NHL. Dominating against kids is one thing, doing so against men is another.

Until he's at least 205, I want him to play in the minors. If he's there next season and earns a spot, then great. But if he looks fantastic in TC, but still can't play his physical style effectively at that level, he needs to go back down.

Jonas Brodin is 194. Should he go play in Europe until he is 205? Have you seen him play with the Greyhounds this year? He doesnt really even belong there this season and you think it will be good for his development to go back there next year?

Or should he just stay away until he weighs 205lbs?

How much does Philip Larsen weigh?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Jonas Brodin is 194. Should he go play in Europe until he is 205? Have you seen him play with the Greyhounds this year? He doesnt really even belong there this season and you think it will be good for his development to go back there next year?

Or should he just stay away until he weighs 205lbs?

How much does Philip Larsen weigh?

Neither of those players play the same style as Nurse. Physicality is a huge part of his game. Bringing them up doesn't really apply.

I fully admit I haven't seen him play this season. The reports about him are very encouraging. But he's doing it against 16-20yo players. In TC we saw him try to play a physical style and bounce off NHLers. Until he can lay out full grown men, he needs to keep seasoning.

Petro played 2 years after the draft in the CHL, why is that a bad idea for Nurse?

Oct 15, 2008
Neither of those players play the same style as Nurse. Physicality is a huge part of his game. Bringing them up doesn't really apply.

I fully admit I haven't seen him play this season. The reports about him are very encouraging. But he's doing it against 16-20yo players. In TC we saw him try to play a physical style and bounce off NHLers. Until he can lay out full grown men, he needs to keep seasoning.

Petro played 2 years after the draft in the CHL, why is that a bad idea for Nurse?

Matt Dumba is 173lbs.

Jacob Trouba is 183lbs.

Nurse is 185lbs.

Peitrangelo had injury issues. Each player is their own story/entity. You cant say this guy did x so that guy should do x too. They are all different.

Im just going by what I saw in camp and what Ive seen in the little bit Ive seen him play in junior this year. Other reports Ive seen by those watching him play in junior this year seem to corroborate what Ive seen. If he is ready, he is ready. It shouldnt matter what x player did or if he hits some arbitrary weight target.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Matt Dumba is 173lbs.

Jacob Trouba is 183lbs.

Nurse is 185lbs.

Peitrangelo had injury issues. Each player is their own story/entity. You cant say this guy did x so that guy should do x too. They are all different.

Im just going by what I saw in camp and what Ive seen in the little bit Ive seen him play in junior this year. Other reports Ive seen by those watching him play in junior this year seem to corroborate what Ive seen. If he is ready, he is ready. It shouldnt matter what x player did or if he hits some arbitrary weight target.

He's two inches taller than Trouba and like 5 inches taller than Dumba.

He can make the team next year, but he'll need to hit the weight room and start downing mass shakes all summer long IMO.

Thank goodness the Oilers did not put him on the roster this year. Being in this situation would've crushed the poor kid.

We've seen some of the ups and downs of trying to develop a kid who's body isn't quite NHL mature in Nugent Hopkins.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
I would wait till training camp and then just go with the best six who can help you win. Obviously we want him to fill out a bit and he should but if he's ready or Klefbom or if we drafted Ekblad and he was you put your six best out their. If one or more happen to be rookies that's managements fault for not bringing in capable veterans.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009

Have you seen many of his games this season?

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Matt Dumba is 173lbs.

Jacob Trouba is 183lbs.

Nurse is 185lbs.

I agree that Nurse is proving he's too good for the OHL right now and I'm personally leaning towards him being on the Oilers' NHL roster next year, but just because he weighs more than those two players, it doesn't mean he's as physically developed as they are. For one, he's like 4-5" taller than those guys, but it was also pretty obvious in preseason that he was still a little bit lanky and could stand to fill out a little more. But that's something players do more of in the offseason anyway.

Spending another year in junior didn't hurt Pietrangelo, nor did it hurt guys like Phaneuf, Weber, or Seabrook. All of whom continued to improve in junior despite the fact that they were all NHL ready (the latter 3 had no choice due to the lockout). Dougie Hamilton spent two years post draft in the OHL despite having a similarly dominant season in the OHL post-draft.

So while all players are different, there's little evidence of a highly rated defenseman being hurt by staying an extra year in junior. It seems a lot more likely to me that bringing them up early would be worse.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I'm in no rush with this kid, wouldn't be against using next year as a development year as well. The type of player he is benefits greatly from taking the slow development path.

Oct 15, 2008
Have you seen many of his games this season?

No, but I have seen enough to see that reports of him dominating down there are accurate. I plan on seeing more now that I have hockeystreams.

Its a pretty good deal and the quality is much improved since my last go round with them a few years ago. CHL, NHL, AHL, Olympics, World Junior, all games archived to view at your own convenience. Its pretty good value. I would recommend it for anyone who would like to follow our prospects and/or draft eligible players.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I agree with IATL. My live viewing of Nurse this year matched everything that I read about him. He dominates both ends of the ice.

On top of his skill though, when you see him at camp next year, I guarantee you he will be showing that he wants it more than any other player. He has a fierce determination on his face every moment that he is on the ice.

BillP

Oct 24, 2012
Canada
No, stop the bleeding. Quit rushing players, and wait. Number 1 lesson: LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
AHL until he's over ripe AND the Oilers have finished in the top 20 the prior season.

I don't think he plays a game in the AHL. Next year it is either the NHL or OHL, so he will be in one of those 2 places. the year after that he will be more than ready physically to play in the NHL. I have seen him obviously here in the Soo and while he does have to add some weight, his game is well rounded enough that his hockey IQ can more than carry him to be a solid NHLer in the mean time. I would hate to see him leave the Soo after this year, but if he is ready, he is ready.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The only way he comes up next season:

-Puts up .85 ppg over a full OHL season
-Continues to be a physical, shut down D and doesnt sacrifice his D zone positioning to score at the .85 ppg pace.
-Comes to training camp at 205, plays like a legit top 4 NHL D in his preseason games and 9 game tryout

Might be hard to do, but I want patience with him. As he has now grown into a prospect with legit first pairing potential. And if he reaches those benchmarks, theres nothing more he could learn in junior, and a neccesity that he sees the next level of competition. Too bad he couldnt go to AHL next season

Lets look to Winnipeg and their treatment of Trouba this year to see how it turns out. As both Trouba and Nurse are similar prospects (draft position, style of play, emegering offense).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't think he plays a game in the AHL. Next year it is either the NHL or OHL, so he will be in one of those 2 places. the year after that he will be more than ready physically to play in the NHL. I have seen him obviously here in the Soo and while he does have to add some weight, his game is well rounded enough that his hockey IQ can more than carry him to be a solid NHLer in the mean time. I would hate to see him leave the Soo after this year, but if he is ready, he is ready.

Exactly. There's no reason for him to ever see time in the AHL.

If you go by the OHL website, he's 193 lbs, and the guy works out all the time. Am I the only one that wouldn't be surprised for him to come in at 200+ next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad