Would you want Nurse in the NHL next year?

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
I'm on board with the AP track. Keep him in the minors this year, give him a 9 game stint at the NHL level next year, then back down to the OHL. Full time in 15-16.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
No. He can't go to OKC though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the NHL

Yeah, this is my problem. I don't get why if you can play in the NHL, you can't play in the AHL.

I posted in the prospects thread I'd prefer for him to do the Pietrangelo route, but thinking some more about it and Seth Jones having the guidance of Weber this year, if Mac T somehow was able to get that stud d-man, then I'd consider Nurse coming up.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It's really too bad he wasn't born just a few months earlier. That solves the whole "9 game" then to AHL issue.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
He was imo our best dman in camp. Shut down the cycle played hard on the boards and had the best pass. However if we get ekblad and klefbom coming next year as well. I think you can only have at max 2 rookies on the blue line. It will be intersting

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One rookie per season. Klefbom next year, Nurse debits in 15. If we draft Ekbkad then he debuts in 14 or 14 depending on how NHL ready he is.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Darnel Nurse will be an NHLer next year.

He almost made it this year, he was heartbroken when he didn't make it and with his work ethic he is out there right now, lifting daily, training hard, and doing everything he can to wear an Oiler uniform next year.

I doubt there is anyone out there who is working harder than that boy right now.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I suppose if he's ready, but i doubt he will be.

doesn't matter what i think, he's on the team next year fosho, because Mact will not be able to acquire any decent D in a trade (because he refuses to offer anything but Hemsky for them) and you can forget about FAs. this franchise is the plague, now.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Let him develop/fill out his frame until hes 20. Don't rush this guy, hes our only hope on D :(

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Let him develop/fill out his frame until hes 20. Don't rush this guy, hes our only hope on D :(

Thankfully our Oilers don't have a history of rushing skilled young players to league, wasting their entry level years, not considering bridge contracts, and ruining their development.

What I'm saying is, we could see him playing for the Oilers once his junior season is done.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Darnel Nurse will be an NHLer next year.

He almost made it this year, he was heartbroken when he didn't make it and with his work ethic he is out there right now, lifting daily, training hard, and doing everything he can to wear an Oiler uniform next year.

I doubt there is anyone out there who is working harder than that boy right now.

This. If he earns the spot, who cares how old he is

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
If he's better than what we have now, then yes. Honestly, he could end up being our best defenseman next year. :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This. If he earns the spot, who cares how old he is

If he isn't physically mature enough to play the same style of game in the NHL that he is currently playing in the OHL, then it's better to let him season until he can. We saw him trying to line up players for big hits in TC and bouncing off them. When he's filled out, that won't be an issue and he'll bring that game to the NHL. Play him too early and he may stop hitting as much because it isn't effective for him against grown men.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
I think Mac-T will be finished the Oil Change finally by the start of next season and Nurse will be one of the shiny new platinum spark plugs he adds into the rebuilt engine.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Nurse is going to make an incredibly strong case for himself next season in TC. He's been absolutely dominant in junior, and he's an amazingly special and gifted athlete.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, his parents should have conceived earlier. That wouldve fixed this whole thing.

thats-the-joke-n1302709431142.jpg

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No, another year of junior until the guy can fill out his frame. Has to if he wants to play the same game at the NHL level.

In a dream scenario, Nurse gets paired with Ekblad at the WJC, they have instant chemistry and SSM decides to load up and trade for Ekblad. Then you definitely keep the two down there next year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If he gets up to at least 205-210lbs. and we get some actual solid veteran D to surround him with then fine. If not keep him in SSM.

loller12

Mar 29, 2010
Hope nurse never goes down to OKC Hall, Eberle, and RNH were waaaay better before they spent half a year down in OKC, now they developed bad habits like the constant drop passes in the Offensive, and neutral zones, and forcing passes down the middle instead of passing the puck along the boards. Oh yeah and they also forgot how to cycle to puck. I remember one game when we played Nashville during RNH rookie season and the 3 of them dominated Weber + Suter down low with there cycle.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I'm pretty set on going down the "Pietrangelo" route. But man, after seeing him cry after being cut from the team this year after all his hard work, it's going to suck to see his heart broken after being sent down again. However, regardless of the externalities, our main concern here is his development and I know unless he has a Weber or Chara beside him, this current team will not benefit him in any way possible. Some people need to remember, he's still a kid and extremely important for this team's future. Let's not mess this one up ;).

Just some rambling but I like a timeline something like this:
Code:
[U]Current season:[/U] 
Nurse > OHL
Klefbom > AHL
Ekblad? > OHL

[U]2014-2015: [/U]
Nurse: > 9 NHL gm's > rest in OHL
                             or > crazy  development > 3rd pairing

Klefbom: >9 NHL gm's > successful > 3rd Pairing
                                > not good enough > AHL

Ekblad: >9 NHL gm's > successful > 3rd Pairing