Would you want Nurse in the NHL next year?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
After striking out at giving predictable UFA bomb Clarkson 6 million per year, I wouldn't be surprised if they succeed with Phaneuf where they have failed in other whale hunting attempts.

Won't always be able to get out of making horrible mistakes by virtue of being a team few want to play for forever.

Hopefully he has the good sense to not answer the Oilers call. That will end uglier than Souray.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Hopefully he has the good sense to not answer the Oilers call. That will end uglier than Souray.

We can hope

But unfortunately, he grew up in the area like other recent Oiler high profile UFA signings(Ference/Souray), and the Oilers are in dire need of a top pairing defenseman.

It's looking like a perfect storm of incoming epic disaster

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
if he's ready to go on an individual level: yes.

any positive is a positive.
theyre going to sell us more manure anyhow for next year. this isnt changing for 3-4 years of revamping the garbage roster.

prepare for an Atlanta Thrashers rebuild turning into the Winnipeg Jets build and no cup. book it.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I will send him to juniors after 5 or so games. I son't want to keep any new kid here before this team starts winning again

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Yep. He seems to be too good to the OHL, one more season against juniors could seriously hurt his development. He could easily take N. Schultz's spot with playing sheltered minutes to start the season.

"Phaneuf" - Petry
Belov - J. Schultz
Ference - Nurse

In before "losing 82 games in the nhl would really do good things for him", not even going to read those childish angst posts.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yep. He seems to be too good to the OHL, one more season against juniors could seriously hurt his development. He could easily take N. Schultz's spot with playing sheltered minutes to start the season.

"Phaneuf" - Petry
Belov - J. Schultz
Ference - Nurse

In before "losing 82 games in the nhl would really do good things for him", not even going to read those childish angst posts.

Where is Ekblad?

Jul 19, 2012
No, he stays in the AHL for at least 1 year learning the game at the pro level. Can't you guys see how rushing our young players has damaged them both physically and developmentally?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Why does nobody just accept the team just isn't good enough?

There's always an excuse.

Losing attitude... that's why we lose? I think that's a load of crap.
We lose because the other teams are better.

You put the best players on the Ice you can. If Nurse is one of the 6 best defencemen next fall. You put him on the team.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Why does nobody just accept the team just isn't good enough?

There's always an excuse.

Losing attitude... that's why we lose? I think that's a load of crap.
We lose because the other teams are better.

You put the best players on the Ice you can. If Nurse is one of the 6 best defencemen next fall. You put him on the team.

It's because we're coached horribly, don't kid yourself, we have yet to hire a decent coach. Better team than last year, worse than the team 3 years ago. The one before we got Hall.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
No, he stays in the AHL for at least 1 year learning the game at the pro level. Can't you guys see how rushing our young players has damaged them both physically and developmentally?

Yah it's really not that cut and dry.

The only time I buy this argument is when the player isn't playing.
Having a player play 15 mins a game in the NHL every game doesn't damage them. Some players just don't improve after a certain age.
Having them play 8 mins a game and playing every other game.. yes I can buy that.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's because we're coached horribly, don't kid yourself, we have yet to hire a decent coach. Better team than last year, worse than the team 3 years ago. The one before we got Hall.

Sure we may be better. But the other teams in the NHL got better too.

This game is always a measurement against the other teams as that's ultimately what determines wins and losses.

I don't think there is somesecret trade that's going to evolve this team into a playoff contender. It's sit and wait for these guys like RNH, Hall, Yakupov, etc. to mature and become better players then the other teams best players. I didn't expect it to take this long but this league is evolving. It's not a young players game.. especially in the west.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee

fake. the roster/environment damaged them more. there's plenty of young kids learning on teams that arent complete gong shows. having 9 children and 6 Dead Beat Dad's (hyperbole) doesnt make that good of a family.

get some real ****ing vets for this piece of trash roster and the kids will function a lot better.

Tambo failed hard in doing that and Mac-T is following suit

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
The Edmonton Oiler WILL Contend Next Year.....

Next year, I know you Oiler fans have heard that a lot. However, think of all the prospects that could join the defensive core and help defensively.

I am so excited to see Aaron Ekblad possibly in an Oilers jersey, he is like a "bigger Drew Doughty", and is so sound at both end of the ice. He doesn't make many mistakes in his own end, and can definitely chip in offensively with a cannon of a shot. Klefbom should be ready and will probably make the jump next year. He should be counted on as a shut-down defenseman, Darnell Nurse should be able to make the jump too....He has a nastiness to his game that I love, and he can skate and contain opposing forwards with that skating ability despite his large stature. Secondly, the forward core need to learn a two-way games as well. There primary focus shouldn't be offense, but focus on the little things that lead to success. A run and gun games shouldn't and doesn't work anymore. Even Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, etc. have a 200ft element to their game. I'm assuming come trade deadline, someone will make a knee reaction and take a chance on Ales Hemsky and the return would most likely be a low first rounder. With that please draft Alex Nedeljkovic who is a first rounder for sure....He remind me of Jonathan Bernier/Jon Quick. But he is a couple years away, so sign Ilya Bryzgalov for another year and have Laurent Broissoit as your backup. Also Martin Marancin will probably be ready for third pairing duty after he finishes up his second full year in the AHL...

Lineup for next year:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Gordon - Joensuu
Gazdic - Lander - Pitlick

Ekblad - Schultz
Ference - Petry
Klefbom - Marancin
If Nurse impresses, he easily makes the top 6....

Bryzgalov
Broissoit

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Next year, I know you Oiler fans have heard that a lot. However, think of all the prospects that could join the defensive core and help defensively.

I am so excited to see Aaron Ekblad possibly in an Oilers jersey, he is like a "bigger Drew Doughty", and is so sound at both end of the ice. He doesn't make many mistakes in his own end, and can definitely chip in offensively with a cannon of a shot. Klefbom should be ready and will probably make the jump next year. He should be counted on as a shut-down defenseman, Darnell Nurse should be able to make the jump too....He has a nastiness to his game that I love, and he can skate and contain opposing forwards with that skating ability despite his large stature. Secondly, the forward core need to learn a two-way games as well. There primary focus shouldn't be offense, but focus on the little things that lead to success. A run and gun games shouldn't and doesn't work anymore. Even Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, etc. have a 200ft element to their game. I'm assuming come trade deadline, someone will make a knee reaction and take a chance on Ales Hemsky and the return would most likely be a low first rounder. With that please draft Alex Nedeljkovic who is a first rounder for sure....He remind me of Jonathan Bernier/Jon Quick. But he is a couple years away, so sign Ilya Bryzgalov for another year and have Laurent Broissoit as your backup. Also Martin Marancin will probably be ready for third pairing duty after he finishes up his second full year in the AHL...

Lineup for next year:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Gordon - Joensuu
Gazdic - Lander - Pitlick

Ekblad - Schultz
Ference - Petry
Klefbom - Marancin
If Nurse impresses, he easily makes the top 6....

Bryzgalov
Broissoit

:laugh::cry:

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I hope not. let him take the pietrangelo route. Kick OHL butt for two years, play wjc and then come into the nhl and dominate. easy

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I doubt you can do this, but what I'd like to see if we got Ekblad is...

start with Nurse in the OHL and Ekblad in the NHL... give Ekblad 9 games then return him to juniors. Then call up Nurse for 9 games (likely can't do that). Then after Nurse's 9 games, send him back to the OHL. Then call up Klefbom for the rest of the year.

-Either way, I'd like Nurse to get 9 games next year, and if we got Ekblad, I wouldn't mind him just to get 9 games and then returned to juniors as well.
Be patient with our guys for a change (though I bet MacT drafts Ekblad, decides he isn't completely NHL ready and ships him off for Erhoff or Brian Campbell since they are better right now, we compete for the playoffs until the end of March and 2014-2015 is a successful year)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Too early to tell. Lets see how he does this year and what kind shape/size he comes into camp with.

Odds are he shouldn't be in the NHL, but sometimes there are exceptions to the rule. As of right now he is making a case to be in that exceptions category, but it's far too soon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For me the oilers have rushed every pick for the 6 years and they need to let the guys develop better. Another year in juniors wont hurt his game

Alex P. top d-man in the league right now. high draft pick went back for nearly two full years

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I doubt you can do this, but what I'd like to see if we got Ekblad is...

start with Nurse in the OHL and Ekblad in the NHL... give Ekblad 9 games then return him to juniors. Then call up Nurse for 9 games (likely can't do that). Then after Nurse's 9 games, send him back to the OHL. Then call up Klefbom for the rest of the year.

It's 9 games played so what you could do is keep them both up but healthy scratch one of them each game. Might not be the best solution since they are getting less playing time but then again it might ease them into it, give them a chance to see things from the pressbox.

I still think it's too early to be talking Ekblad. Even if we end up in 30th we could lose the lottery and have someone else pick him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad