Would Portland Oregon be a good place for an NHL team?

jacketracket*

Exactly. Look at the area you went and now let's look at the top sports mills(they party zones not school)

Michigan State
Ohio State
LSU
UW
Mississippi
Oregon
Oregon State
USC(biggest joke of them all)
Florida State
Florida
Texas

None of these school are hard to get into at all. Some only need a 60 or 65 in Grade 12 English. Very sad
U.S. News & World Report’s widely read rankings of undergraduate colleges in America currently places Ohio State as the 18th best public university and 56th overall ranked university in America. Ohio State ranked 14th in US News' new "Up and Coming" colleges section. The list includes the top colleges in the nation "that are making improvements in academics, faculty, students, campus life, diversity, and facilities. These schools are worth watching because they are making promising and innovative changes."[20]

Internationally, in 2010 QS World University Rankings[21] ranked Ohio State University 124th in the world, and 40th in the United States. It scored 88th in Social Sciences in the international subject rankings. Three years back, China's Shanghai Jiao Tong University placed Ohio State as the 61st ranked university in the world in their 2007 Academic Ranking of World Universities.[22]

The Lombardi Program on Measuring University Performance at Arizona State University detailed analysis and rankings of American universities currently places Ohio State as the 24th ranked university in America, the 10th ranked public university in the country and the top overall university in Ohio. Of their nine ranking criteria, Ohio State ranked in the top-25 in four categories and between 26–50 in an additional four categories.[23] The Washington Monthly college rankings, which seek to evaluate colleges' contributions to American society based on factors of social mobility, cutting edge research, and service to the country by their graduates, currently place Ohio State as 12th in the nation and 10th among public universities.

Ohio State is also the only public university in Ohio to which the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has given both its highest overall classification of Doctoral/Very High Research Activity and highest undergraduate admissions classification of more selective.

US News ranks the undergraduate program at Ohio State's Fisher College of Business 12th in America and the top undergraduate business school in Ohio. The graduate program of the Fisher College is ranked 21st in America and is the top graduate school of business in Ohio. The Economist ranked The Fisher College as the 29th ranked MBA program in the world in their 2005 "Which MBA?" issue.[26] Fisher's Executive MBA program was ranked 3rd nationally for return on investment by The Wall Street Journal in 2008 citing a 170 percent return on an average of $66,900 invested in tuition and expenses during the 18-month program. In 2006, The Public Accounting Report ranked Ohio State's accounting department 9th in the nation for undergraduate programs and 10th in the nation for graduate programs. In each case, the ranking was the highest among Ohio universities.
I've broken this out from the larger quote, as my degree is from Fisher - one of the most competitive public business schools in the country.

Your analysis ... sad, indeed.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
USC is one of the best schools in the country. As are Michigan, Notre Dame, UCLA and Texas. And lest we forget basketball... Duke and UNC alone are amongst the best schools in the US.

Totally off base.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It was remodeled to be basketball only. A basketball court is much smaller than an ice rink so seats have to be taken out to fit a rink. Also some of the seats that remain probably have terrible sight lines, like America West Arena in Phoenix was when the Coyotes first moved there.

Was it remodeled in the 90's when it was renovated, because if it was why did they not make it accessible for the Tbirds?

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I have a few friends who live out in that area, and they are pretty rabid Winterhawks fans. Would an NHL team work? Hard to say, but the support for the Winterhawks is there.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Can we pull up something similar for Portland?

Portland can definitely accomodate both.

rose%20garden%20map%2010-11%20border.png

There is a third level to the Rose Garden that I'm guessing is closed off in that image because they rarely if ever use it.

Listed capacity for hockey is 18,280.

Steve Passless*

Was it remodeled in the 90's when it was renovated, because if it was why did they not make it accessible for the Tbirds?

Barry Ackerley, then owner of the Supersonics, wanted to make sure his team never had to co-exist with an NHL team, so he specified that the renovated KeyArena couldn't host NHL hockey.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Portland can definitely accomodate both.

rose%20garden%20map%2010-11%20border.png

There is a third level to the Rose Garden that I'm guessing is closed off in that image because they rarely if ever use it.

Listed capacity for hockey is 18,280.

It looks like it from that.

If a team moves to Portland though, it'll have to be Paul Allen owning the team.

Portland is a city on the rise, so I think that's more plausible than Seattle, which would for sure need a whole new arena - something they can't get to business on.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
In some places, hockey already is the craze without an NHL team. Why should the league go to places where they have to give away tickets and market their butts off to hope that people will start to like the game before they lose too much money? Just go to cities that want it and will buy tickets at full price from day one.

really? like where?

US cities only - Canada doesn't count as it doesn't accomplish anything in the big picture for the NHL.

The Sounders play 15 home games per year - not 41 and the tickets are cheaper than they would need to be for the NHL. Soccer is also more widely followed/accepted/enjoyed in the USA than is hockey. In short, the MLS has a much better shot at being successful in Seattle than does NHL hockey.

what? soccer is not more popular than hockey in the US. and i live in miami - where there is an incredible amount of latin americans. hockey is surviving here - soccer did not.

Last edited:

Steve Passless*

The Badgers are popular throughout Wisconsin. When Columbus loses the Blue Jackets, they'll go on supporting Ohio State hockey just fine. There are plenty of northeastern towns that support the AHL well. Not every town can support the NHL. It's not easy.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The best hope for a Portland NHL franchise is if the NBA goes into a strike/lockout and totally implodes. With the Trail Blazers kaput, Paul Allen would be looking for 45 events a year. Do I reallistically expect that to happens? Less than 5% chance IMHO.

What I really expect to happen is some contraction/relocation, but that's it. Given the fact that the Trail Blazers have the 2nd highest NBA attendance, I think they'll be around as long as the NBA is around.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The Badgers are popular throughout Wisconsin. When Columbus loses the Blue Jackets, they'll go on supporting Ohio State hockey just fine. There are plenty of northeastern towns that support the AHL well. Not every town can support the NHL. It's not easy.

Ohio State hockey is not a draw in Columbus. At all. They draw about 3,000 people on average in their 17,000 seat arena. And that's actually up from their historical average.

Rocket

Feb 3, 2007
New York, USA
I call shenanigans on this. Show me one TV ratings metric that indicates that.

While I don't agree with him that soccer is more widely followed than hockey, especially after the recent resurgence of NHL, the difference is not that big. Comparing NHL ratings to any one soccer league or tournament ratings will not show that but soccer fans in America follow a dozen soccer leagues and a dozen tournaments. It has no off-season (top euro leagues 9 months a year; MLS, part of Mexican league, national team tourneys, and club exhibition events in summer) so it gets steady numbers from January to December while hockey doesn't get anything in its off-season. So while in the overlapping part of the year NHL gets better ratings, soccer nearly makes up for it in the other 4 months. There are enough soccer fans in America to support 3 soccer centric networks that are available today while ESPN is thinking of adding another. It's niche is not as small as some people believe.

BTW, I don't think Portland has enough population or money to properly support NHL, especially after adding MLS. It would turn out to be another Columbus.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I wouldn't really compare Portland with Columbus. Columbus is Ohio State all day every day. While I'm sure Portland has their fair share of Oregon and Oregon State fans the main campuses of those two schools aren't in Portland.

I don't think population or money would be a problem in Portland. I think the only issue would be if fans wanted to watch hockey, but as with all sports a good team and good marketing will bring fans in.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
No NHL, or any major pro sports team for that matter, is relying on 18,000 individuals showing up for games. They want to sell season tickets and that means there needs to be interest from the corporate community. As mentioned there is great support for the Trailblazers and a great amount of that comes from the corporate world and unfortunately, as is the case in most markets now, from ticket brokers that buy season tickets. I'm not sure how many of those companies will shell out money for a second sport whose season runs parallel to the one they already support.
There is a core group of hockey fans that have supported the Winterhawks for years. If you introduce an NHL team to the area and the Winterhawks stay put I don't see the NHL team stealing away the Winterhawks fan base. They will get some but I'm not sure that the cost increase will be justified for enough of them to make the switch. Junior hockey fans are fans of the game of hockey. The "bang for the buck" is greater with Junior hockey in my opinion and most junior fans I know would rather watch juniors than NHL regular season games.
NHL playoff hockey is the best game in pro sports but until the new team makes long playoff runs over a few years time I just see people taking the "wait and see approach" before finally buying in.
I'm sure it has been looked at in great detail and so far nobody has thought that it was something that would fly. Portland has been talked about for years in discussions about a place for a team relocation but nobody has thought they could make it work. The NHL certainly isn't going to expand anytime soon and no team has any plan to move there so for the immediate future it looks like the Winterhawks will be the hockey option in Portland.

jacketracket*

BTW, I don't think Portland has enough population or money to properly support NHL, especially after adding MLS. It would turn out to be another Columbus.
Where the hell were you the last nine seasons, when the CBJ were averaging over 16K a game?

Not enough money? They were $7-8 mil above the floor last season, and per management have been greeen-lighted by ownership to spend more in attempting to sign quality UFAs this off-season.

Their issue is with a lack of success. No fan base can survive tem seasons without some sign that theyre turning a corner. Much less a fan base that has no past experience with winning.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Barry Ackerley, then owner of the Supersonics, wanted to make sure his team never had to co-exist with an NHL team, so he specified that the renovated KeyArena couldn't host NHL hockey.

http://www.seattlehockey.net/Seattle_Hockey_Homepage/Seattle_and_the_NHL.html

This is a link to Seattle's last expansion bid in the early 90's (Ott/TB round).

Owner of the Sonics at the time screwed his partners. Such a shame that the city of Seattle didn't build the arena to accommodate NHL hockey. Now, the Sonics are gone too, so a double whammy to Seattle.... Ackerley at the end of the day, screwed both sports.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
the problem with Oregon is that it is a huge College sports state is it not??? Oregon Ducks dominate the sports scene there

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
the problem with Oregon is that it is a huge College sports state is it not??? Oregon Ducks dominate the sports scene there

Portland is two hours away from Eugene. It would be like saying a team wouldn't work in Cleveland because Ohio State dominates the sports scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad