Worst trades your team avoided

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I remember seeing something at 2010 draft that was like Eberle + 2nd for 2nd overall (Seguin)

Obviously would have done that in a heart beat. I would be interested to see if Boston fans would have done that with everything that went down

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Supposedly when Pronger was on his way out of St. Louis, the Jackets were in the running, but didn't get him because MacLean refused to give up Alexandre Picard.

And of course, there's the legendary one that would have left us in pretty bad shape yet at the time was so horrifying to contemplate for the other team's fans that we actually took to taunting them with it after two and a half years of garbage proposals: "The price for Ryan Johansen is Jordan Eberle." :laugh:

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
A steep price sure, but for Pronger in 09-10? Varlamov had played 6 games up to that point, Alzner 30, Carlson 0, and the Caps had no idea what pick they would have, or who they could take with that unknown pick, in the 2010 draft.

You never know how things would've worked out. Maybe the Caps lose to Montreal anyway. Maybe they lose to someone else. Pronger on that Caps team though? Tough to call that one a worst trade avoided. I can see not doing it, but you're still talking about a Pronger that was very good.

Yep - people are underestimating the impact that Chris Pronger had here.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Well regardless of style, replacing Carlson with pronger on the postseason roster wouldnt have done anything.

They would have still had tom poti, joe corvo/dennis wideman, mike green, john erskine, jeff schultz and pronger. That defense got walked around and theodore poor play hurt them.

Imo there is no chance that caps win cup with that trade since the rest of the defense was awful and theodore was horrible

pronger brought the Oilers to game 7 stanley cup final.

Aug 21, 2014
And then almost traded him for Mike Peca.

I was also legit waiting for a Ms Universe reference.

Depending on which GM you ask it was never offered. :laugh: If it is real Flames sure dodged a bullet.

wasnt there a rumour that the flames offered giordano and backlund for ROR before the offersheet?

I think the Flames offered that, and Avs said no. So Feaster then offered an Offersheet.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
Franson for Gorges was definitely a bullet we dodged there.

Instead, we turned Franson and Santo into:

Travis Dermott, Jeremy Bracco, Martins Dzierkals, Brendan Leipsic and 2016 St. Louis 6th round pick :laugh:

Absolutely huge bullet dodged.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
In recent memory it was a signing we almost made.
Mac-T offered Clarkson more money than Toronto did, but thankfully Clarkson turned him down.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Just Glad Habs didn't trade Price after Halak's amazing playoff run in 2010

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Habs fans must be saying McDonagh for Gomez, what a close one for them... :sarcasm:
People remember that but McDonagh while being a key piece was just considered as a throw in by Gainey. He never talked with his chief amateur scout about his progress...apparently the chief amateur scout even cried when he heard about the trade (As McDonagh was his favorite prospect). The other main pieces were Higgins and cap relief to the rangers.

That trade was terrible from the get go same with the Forsberg Vs Erat trade.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure Chia offered Spooner and second. Murray countered with Subban. Chia would not give that.

Now what I'm not sure is whether Murray turned down Spooner and a 2nd or Neely nixed the trade. I thought Murray turned it down - I was under the impression Neely nixed a possible trade with Arizona as it included our 2015 1st (1st + Spooner for Vermette or 1st + Spooner + Krug for Yandle + Vemette was what I heard). Two other awful trades we missed out on I suppose.

So I don't have a complete answer for your question but I believe Murray turned down Spooner + 2nd. Thank the ****ing lord.

Yeah, that's right, that was what I read. That it was Neely who nixed the Spooner + 2nd deal. I originally said it was Chia who nixed it. My bad.

I sure hope it wasn't Murray who turned down Spooner + 2nd for Stewart. I still can't imagine he did, especially considering that he ended up trading Stewart for one 2nd round pick in 2017...
It wouldn't make much sense if he turned down Spooner and a 2nd, then turned around and traded him for a 2nd round pick a couple years from now. Boy I sure hope that's the case anyway... lol.

We will probably never know for sure. But for my own piece of mind, I am just going to assume it was Neely who nixed that deal and not Tim Murray... lol.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wouldn't say worst, but apparently Sather had the option to trade Callahan for a "futures" package to I think San Jose. I don't think any specific details were ever released who or what was in the package.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I wouldn't say worst, but apparently Sather had the option to trade Callahan for a "futures" package to I think San Jose. I don't think any specific details were ever released who or what was in the package.

I vaguely remember something like that too. Part of me wants to say it was either built around Nieto or Mueller.

I honestly can't remember a deal that the Islanders could have done. They keep things so hush-hush.

entropism

May 8, 2011
New Jersey
Back in 1999, the Islanders' owners, (******** that they were) wanted to trade Ziggy Palffy to the Rangers for Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, the 11th pick in the draft, prospect Patrick Leahy and approximately $2 million.

Dear god, what a nightmare that would have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad