Worst trades your team avoided

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Prior to the Flyers trading Mike Richards to the Kings, it was reported he was almost traded to the Leafs for Nazem Kadri and Nikolay Kulemin. At that time Kadri was not as established as we see him today and Kulemin was coming off a 30 goal season. From what I remember Brian Burke told Paul Holmgren he wanted to talk it over with his management group and while that happened Richards got traded to the Kings instead. With hindsight I say it was a good thing the trade with the Leafs never happened, if we are to assume Richards production kept going down while he was in Los Angeles.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
What would have been a bad trade for your team, that luckily they didn't make.

Please post a link to where these rumors came from.

For example:
At the 2011 deadline, it was reported that the Rangers were close to acquiring Brad Richards from Dallas for a package believed to be Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky and Derek Stepan. That's a big price to pay for someone who...
A. Probably wouldn't have single handedly helped them win a cup
B. Signed with us a few months later anyway
C. Hasn't been great since
D. Would've required Dubinsky. No Dubinsky=no Nash

2011 NHL Trade Deadline: Brad Richards Asking Price Too High?

If we had made that trade, we wouldn't be any better now, and without Stepan, we'd be worse in the future

Wouldn't have helped you singlehandedly win a cup, but 5:14 left in Game six 2015 SCF wait wait pass to Patty Kane to seal the win Hawks fans will take all day haha. Thanksz

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Probably not since they would have traded away their starting goaltender

Absolutely no reason why with Pronger anchoring the back end Neuvrith couldn't have been the guy, heck 2 years after the rumoured trade with pronger-varly didn't go through didn't he go like 45-20 or something for you guys?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Flames fans would be happy this never happened:

Doug Gilmour, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, Jamie Macoun and Rick Wamsley

For

Gary Leeman, Craig Berube, Alexander Godynyuk, Michel Petit, Jeff Reese.

That would have been disaster for Calgary.

Oh wait ... ;)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well the trade still went down but it was a near-miss. In 2004 the Habs offered a 2nd and a prospect to the Rangers for Kovalev. The Rangers were allowed to choose the prospect from either Jozef Balej or Tomas Plekanec. Balej had the better numbers at the time so they picked him.

Oh man, I wish I never knew this. :(

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Ryan Kesler and Cory Schneider for Brad Richards. Dave Nonis was essentially fired for not pulling the trigger on this deal.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs have made most of the bad trades instead of not doing them but i think the biggest botched one would of been the Luongo trade. I remember around that time it was rumoured to be something like Kadri+1st+

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Back in 1999, the Islanders' owners, (******** that they were) wanted to trade Ziggy Palffy to the Rangers for Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, the 11th pick in the draft, prospect Patrick Leahy and approximately $2 million.

Dear god, what a nightmare that would have been.

Hard to say if that would have really mattered since the Rangers sucked for the next 7 years after that and it's hard to imagine Palffy would have made any difference with those teams.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There were articles released later on that claimed ROR would not have been subject to waivers, but I'm not sure if they're accurate.
The belief is the transaction would have just been voided by the NHL due to the original ambiguous wording in the MOU, something they changed the wording of after this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the biggest one for Calgary was saved by the Buffalo GM being a bigger moron declining than the Flames GM for offering it.

Mike Peca for Jarome Iginla

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Joe Nieuwendyk for Steve Harvey instead Flames had to settle for some scrub named Jarome Iginla
3niAkdzQiOTxZUUZ642W_Steve%20Harvey%20Face%2012.gif

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean the Islanders blew their picks sure, but they did turn Reinhart and a 3rd into Barzal and Beauvillier. And also picked Pelech with one of their later picks. I'd argue those now are more valuable than Murray and a 3rd assuming they were going to pick Murray.
Yeah, sorry, no. Taking massive advantage of a patented Chiarelli brainfart does not get to apply for this sort of thing. :) Snow made a good recovery with that move, but that's not the same thing.

The Jackets side comes down to who they would have picked at 4and later but that's impossible to guess). I can't remember how that went down, but wasn't Reinhart seen as a reach at the time? I know Lindholm was by Anaheim.
Yep. Pretty much the only justifiably probable way it would have worked out as a gain for the Jackets is if you could make the case that we'd have picked Rielly at #4 and he'd have turned out as well over here. (That last isn't too much of a reach, at least, as Toronto and Columbus have gone through similar hell-to-young-badasses development curves. But there were different players and personnel around aiding development, so. :dunno: ). But even that, at best, is a hindsight call (as you acknowledged).

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Tampa wanted Kesler Edler and a few picks for Richards back in 2008. Nonis decline. Canucks missed the playoffs and he was fired.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
It sure would be interesting to have a list of all trade offers and which GM turned them down. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad