Worst trades your team avoided

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
What would have been a bad trade for your team, that luckily they didn't make.

Please post a link to where these rumors came from.

For example:
At the 2011 deadline, it was reported that the Rangers were close to acquiring Brad Richards from Dallas for a package believed to be Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky and Derek Stepan. That's a big price to pay for someone who...
A. Probably wouldn't have single handedly helped them win a cup
B. Signed with us a few months later anyway
C. Hasn't been great since
D. Would've required Dubinsky. No Dubinsky=no Nash

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/2...-richards-rangers-trade-dubinsky-stepan-staal

If we had made that trade, we wouldn't be any better now, and without Stepan, we'd be worse in the future

Reactions: torirose1998

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
:habs

There never seems to be consensus on the pieces offered, but that Lecavalier trade that was blocked by the TBL owner saved us.

Some say Pacioretty + Price + Subban + 1st (I don't believe it)
I've heard Price + Plekanec + Gorges or Plekanec + Higgins + Gorges

Whatever it was... praise the lord it never went through!

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Bruins reportedly almost traded Spooner + 2nd for Chris Stewart to Buffalo last year. But apparently Buffalo asked for Subban instead and Chia said no.

Spooner is currently on pace for about 60 points. We all know what what Chris Stewart is doing. Thank god that never happened.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Semyon Varlamov + Karl Alzner + John Carlson

Semyon Varlamov + Karl Alzner/John Carlson + WSH 2010 1st (Evgeny Kuznetsov)

for

Chris Pronger

Some reports said they asked for all of those 4 pieces, and then some indicated that it was only 3 of those. Needless to say, that would have been a very steep price. That asking price became public at the time he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Well the trade still went down but it was a near-miss. In 2004 the Habs offered a 2nd and a prospect to the Rangers for Kovalev. The Rangers were allowed to choose the prospect from either Jozef Balej or Tomas Plekanec. Balej had the better numbers at the time so they picked him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
oilers

smid
Cogliano
Penner

for heatley

No one realized Heatley's wheels had fallen off

Penner got us Klefbom
Smid got goalie Laurent Brossoit who some oiler fans are in love with

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I remember around 96ish or so there was talk of a Stevie Y for Daniel Alfredsson deal, whether or not that is totally true is another question, but if it is, very glad it did not happen!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
For Anaheim, Corey Perry+1st for Mike Comrie was basically a done deal, but luckily for them, Kevin Lowe wanted Comrie to pay $2.5M to the Oilers. so the trade fell apart.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Well if those reports that the Leafs and Oilers almost swapped franchises in the mid 80's are true than presumably that one...

Oilers have a few other almost beauties though.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Also not one of my teams involved but the Ducks should be sending Kevin Lowe a fruit basket every year for this beauty:

Reports suggest Lowe agreed to send Comrie to Anaheim for prospect Corey Perry and a first-round draft pick, but only if the forward cut Edmonton a fat cheque.

He supposedly asked Comrie to pony up $2.5 million US to complete the transaction.

"If he was willing to do that, fine," Lowe said. "If not, we'd sit and wait until we felt we got the deal we needed.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

Anaheim picked Smid with the pick they would have sent the Oilers.

So the Oilers could have had Perry and Smid for Comrie except Lowe and the Oilers were too cheap.

The Oilers traded Comrie a week later to the Flyers for Jeff Woywitka, a 1st that the Oilers used to take Rob Schremp, and a 3rd that they used to take Danny Syvret.

Hey, at least they got the "deal they needed"...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

for

Chris Pronger

Some reports said they asked for all of those 4 pieces, and then some indicated that it was only 3 of those. Needless to say, that would have been a very steep price. That asking price became public at the time he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers.

oh my goodness

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Also not one of my teams involved but the Ducks should be sending Kevin Lowe a fruit basket every year for this beauty:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-comrie-must-pay-for-trade-1.399739

Anaheim picked Smid with the pick they would have sent the Oilers.

So the Oilers could have had Perry and Smid for Comrie except Lowe and the Oilers were too cheap.

The Oilers traded Comrie a week later to the Flyers for Jeff Woywitka, a 1st that the Oilers used to take Rob Schremp, and a 3rd that they used to take Danny Syvret.

Hey, at least they got the "deal they needed"...

Hey man I'm from Edmonton I remember reading that in the paper and said to myself "THEY DID WHAT!!!!???" followed by a good ol fashion facepalm

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010

for

Chris Pronger

WSH would probably have a Cup if they got Pronger on the back-end during those years.

Reactions: Sentinel

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Yzerman for Yashin. Supposedly it was agreed to and both sides agreed to sleep on it before sending in the paperwork. Detroit backed out of it the next day.

That's right, it was Yashin...not sure why I thought for some reason there was talk of a Alfie for Stevie Y trade in talks back in the day..must have heard differently.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

for

Chris Pronger

Was going to post this. That would have been a disaster.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA

for

Chris Pronger

Caps likely win a Cup in the Boudreau years with that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad