Worst trades your team avoided

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder what percentage of these were actually possible trades and how many were media speculation and hearsay. I'm almost positive I read that that "almost" Stamkos trade to the Rangers is an urban legend.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Duchene for hamonic and a first (if both pieces were actually offered in the same deal, which is disputed)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yzerman for Yashin. Supposedly it was agreed to and both sides agreed to sleep on it before sending in the paperwork. Detroit backed out of it the next day.

DefiniteFearlessAdeliepenguin-max-1mb.gif

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Duchene for Turris, Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, 2018 1st Rounder (protected) and 2019 3rd Rounder....oh wait a sec...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Back in 1999, the Islanders' owners, (******** that they were) wanted to trade Ziggy Palffy to the Rangers for Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, the 11th pick in the draft, prospect Patrick Leahy and approximately $2 million.

Dear god, what a nightmare that would have been.

This trade was actually done. But the NHL refused it, or something like that.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Ryan Smyth for Gilbert Brule instead of Colin Fraser. I don't think Gilbert Brule had any chance of making an impact like Fraser did.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Unfortunately for the Canes most of the bad trades actually happened.

Worst one that was out there was around Rick Nash. Jackets were in talks with both the Rangers and us, but the asking price was rumored to be Skinner and a first if he went to Carolina, which would have been Elias Lindholm. Thank f***ing god we didn't make that deal. I can't remember if JR shot it down or if they just preferred the Rangers offer.

A not as shitty deal that fell through was around the 06 draft. Canes offered Jack Johnson for the #2 (which was going to be used on Jordan Staal), but the Pens asked for Andrew Ladd as well. Canes asked for another dman prospect to be coming back the other way (want to say it was Welch, as I know it wasn't Letang or Whitney) as well and that's where it fell apart.

On the flip side the Canes nearly ripped the Jackets off in a HUGE way a few years back. Back when Tomas Kaberlol was our big UFA signing and then spent his offseason training flipping through TV channels on his couch, the Jackets also had a young center that wasn't quite working out for them. So the Canes nearly ended up shipping the rotting corpse of Tomas Kaberle's career straight up for Derick Brassard.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Michael Del Zotto/Evgeni Grachev for Stamkos was almost a done deal but the Rangers GM at the time (Glen Sather) pulled out...happened in 2009, was also a handshake deal.
This probably was mentioned already but I’m too lazy to check

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
In recent memory it was a signing we almost made.
Mac-T offered Clarkson more money than Toronto did, but thankfully Clarkson turned him down.
The Sens were also heavily recruiting Clarkson the summer he signed with Toronto. If I remember correctly, they had matched the Leafs offer.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Daniel Alfredsson for Craig Conroy

The Sens were also trying to get Rick Nash in a trade. I believe they had a deal that both teams liked, but Nash didn't waive his NTC. Dodged a bullet there.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Edmonton offered the 16th overall and 33rd 2015 pick for Griffin Reinhart but the Islanders declined

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
One trade my team nixed. I remember a rumor in the late 80s or early 90s, that the red wings were gonna trade Yzerman and Primeau to the Islanders for Lafontaine and David Volek. But the Isles nixed it because they didn’t want to include Volek. Just a rumor that I remember.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Not that it was supposed to happen but:

1) Trouba for Hamonic
2) Trouba for Duchene

Funny enough, it's not trades we avoided that saved us, it's contract signings. If Ladd signed the 6x6 that we offered, we would be in a tough spot.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
One trade my team nixed. I remember a rumor in the late 80s or early 90s, that the red wings were gonna trade Yzerman and Primeau to the Islanders for Lafontaine and David Volek. But the Isles nixed it because they didn’t want to include Volek. Just a rumor that I remember.
What's funny is that Lafontaine/Yzerman almost happened again when Patty was in Buffalo.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Oh. Do you know the specifics of that?
I don't think there was anything all that exciting to it. I think it was Bowman who wasn't sold on his commitment to winning, and was calling around the league offering Yzerman for random star centers straight up. Hence the famous Yashin story and multiplte Lala rumors.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Apparently Pierre Dorion offered Zibanejad + Chabot for Duchene two summers ago, but Sakic turned it down.

He ended up dealing Zibanejad in an only slightly less-terrible deal for Brassard, and then overpayed for Duchene a different way.

Daniel Alfredsson for Craig Conroy

The Sens were also trying to get Rick Nash in a trade. I believe they had a deal that both teams liked, but Nash didn't waive his NTC. Dodged a bullet there.

Pretty sure the package included Zibanejad, Lehner, and another decent asset.

Talk about a bullet dodged.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pretty sure the package included Zibanejad, Lehner, and another decent asset.

Talk about a bullet dodged.
Even better - the discussion of assets around that deal after it failed eventually led to the Methot-for-Foligno deal, which both fanbases still use as the dictionary definition of a win-win trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad