Worst trades your team avoided

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
People remember that but McDonagh while being a key piece was just considered as a throw in by Gainey. He never talked with his chief amateur scout about his progress...apparently the chief amateur scout even cried when he heard about the trade (As McDonagh was his favorite prospect). The other main pieces were Higgins and cap relief to the rangers.

That trade was terrible from the get go same with the Forsberg Vs Erat trade.

"Just a throw in" correlated with McDonagh's name now would be so, so funny, and it seems funny then too. Oh Gainey, how could you be such a fool? :laugh:

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I always bring up the same story when these threads get brought up.

The "Stamkos to the Rangers" thing. Sather and Len Barrie had a handshake agreement for a pick 3 from:

Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Michael DelZotto
Evgeny Grachev
Dan Girardi

That could have been DZ, Girardi, and Grachev for Steven Stamkos.

Barrie agreed to it, then had to run it by both Lawton and Koules...who promptly knocked him upside the head.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004

The "Stamkos to the Rangers" thing. Sather and Len Barrie had a handshake agreement for a pick 3 from:

Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Michael DelZotto
Evgeny Grachev
Dan Girardi

Barrie agreed to it, then had to run it by both Lawton and Koules...who promptly knocked him upside the head.

Even at the time, with no benefit of hindsight, that was pretty horrible.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Even at the time, with no benefit of hindsight, that was pretty horrible.

Eh, not so much. This was 2008. Grachev was the steal of the draft (playing with Duchene and Hodgson on the Battalion), DZ was lighting up the OHL as John Tavares' main feeder, and Girardi was a 24 year old rising star on defense. Stamkos had like...2 goals in 35 games or so.

Hindsight? Would have gone down as one of the worst trades in the history of the NHL.

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
I mentioned this in another thread but back in '06, the Hawks were going to trade Seabrook to the Rangers for Petr Prucha. That would've been in the top 5 for sure of worst trades in Hawk history.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ

Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Michael DelZotto
Evgeny Grachev
Dan Girardi

I always wonder what if the pulled Girardi out and offered Staal instead. Staal's value was at an all time high

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Apparently, the Jets were offered Krug, Zboril and a 1st for Trouba in the summer of 2016. Nowhere near as bad as some of the trades posted here, but Trouba went on to elevate his game to a much higher level in 16-17, which we got to benefit from.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Brandon Dubinsky
Ryan Callahan
Michael DelZotto
Evgeny Grachev
Dan Girardi

Barrie... Ugh.

Best day in modern Lightning history was the day Vinik bought the Lightning and brought in Yzerman.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
JVR for Hamonic.

JVR is the lynchpin for one of the top PP units in the league. Hamonic continues his struggles.

Leafs fans would have been in complete panic mode right now if this trade had gone through.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Canucks nearly traded their 2015 1st (used to select Brock Boeser) and other assets to Boston for Lucic. Thankfully LA stepped up with a better offer or we would be stuck with Lucic for the next 6/7 years and have no Boeser.

There was also a potential canucks/lightning deal (Brad Richards for Schneider, Bourdon, 1st, 2nd) that would've turned out awful had it gone through but Feaster preferred a meh collection of assets from Dallas.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
https://deadspin.com/5921077/the-bl...he-islanders-entire-draft-for-their-no-2-pick

The Islanders offered all their 2012 draft picks to Columbus in exchange for 2nd overall. Columbus refused. It's hard to tell which is worse.
Despite HF's collective wide-eyed drooling fetishization of draft picks of any and all kinds, turning that down was easily and demonstrably the right move then, and it's even more ludicrously easy to see that five years later (as long as you're intellectually honest and don't try the whole "hey, so-and-so star was picked 20 picks after that one, you could have gotten your guy AND him, OMG such ripoff" BS that so many folks seem to do with these scenarios).

Reactions: Eisen

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't remember too many almost trades from the Leafs. Franson for Gorges comes to mind which Gorges declined(thankfully), we later flipped Franson and Santorelli(Franson was the main piece) to Nashville for Leipsic, and a 1st which all together turned out to be the piece Vegas took(protecting the rest of our available trash), Dermott, Bracco, Mattinen and Dzierkals. No real NHL impact to this point but I feel like Dermott will be a solid player and Bracco may be too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Despite HF's collective wide-eyed drooling fetishization of draft picks of any and all kinds, turning that down was easily and demonstrably the right move then, and it's even more ludicrously easy to see that five years later (as long as you're intellectually honest and don't try the whole "hey, so-and-so star was picked 20 picks after that one, you could have gotten your guy AND him, OMG such ripoff" BS that so many folks seem to do with these scenarios).

I mean the Islanders blew their picks sure, but they did turn Reinhart and a 3rd into Barzal and Beauvillier. And also picked Pelech with one of their later picks. I'd argue those now are more valuable than Murray and a 3rd assuming they were going to pick Murray.

The Jackets side comes down to who they would have picked at 4and later but that's impossible to guess). I can't remember how that went down, but wasn't Reinhart seen as a reach at the time? I know Lindholm was by Anaheim.

Given Murray's "hype"(not sure hype is the right word here but alas) at the time I understand why they would turn it down and it's impossible to tell in hindsight how it would have worked out for Columbus if they accepted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad