Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Right up there with "Mitch Marner 4th liner".

the post was made a while ago. Leafs Mathews, Marner, Tavares gets out played by Jenner, Anderson , and Luc Dubois. Leafs couldn't beat a non playoff team in a playoff match.

Habs trade Domi for Anderson at that point,I can see why these 2 names were at the top, of course things change, might need a newer worst gm thread by March.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
the post was made a while ago. Leafs Mathews, Marner, Tavares gets out played by Jenner, Anderson , and Luc Dubois. Leafs couldn't beat a non playoff team in a playoff match.

Habs trade Domi for Anderson at that point,I can see why these 2 names were at the top, of course things change, might need a newer worst gm thread by March.

You are just kind of re-emphasizing the problem on here. If you look through all the data, they got outperformed in net. It's forest for trees thinking that lacks on HF. Prime example would be your GM of the Year. Club on pace for almost a 10 point drop and no playoffs. Until a retirement, has no stars under contract and no cap to sign his one star (which should be impossible but there you have it). Club ranked in the bottom half to bottom third of prospect pools, his first pick in a very deep draft in the 90's. Club now on pace for a 20 point drop from the previous close to 10 point drop. Short term thinkers say "Yay playoff run!" which of course was only possible due to a pandemic. Long term thinkers see problems coming. Imagine for a minute that Dubas did those things?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This has to be Dorion,even with having EM as your boss there was no excuse for making such huge mistakes on adding vets that cant play anymore

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Leafs Mathews, Marner, Tavares gets out played by Jenner, Anderson , and Luc Dubois. Leafs couldn't beat a non playoff team in a playoff match.
Columbus was a playoff team, and the best defensive team in the league, even through some significant injuries. Toronto lost to an insane run by Columbus' goaltending, that put up a 0.952 SV% in the series and would go on to win the playoff save record, not Jenner/Anderson/Dubois.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
But the lack of playoffs success is the problem, especially for those who voted Dubas.
Pretty thin analysis of a guy who's only been GM 2 years. What about how much the prospect pool has looked so much better in 2 years? Trades, signings, ETC. So much goes into it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Rutherford should not be anywhere the top of this ( I know he is gone now but )
The guy made some mistakes like every other GM in the league but also made some fantastic trades and took the team to Back To Back Cups

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
3 big canadian teams leading the race, only one of them deserves votes. It's the guy who ran out of time to sign Toffoli, who wanted to stay, while chasing OEL.

I get most Toronto fans probably voted for Bergevin, and probably some to the glasses kid who paid his good players, but I don't understand how any semi educated hockey fan could look at Jim Benning's body of work outside of mostly top 10 picks (that he was awarded by the league for sucking while he thought he was a 100 point playoff team) is terrible.

Yes JT Miller looks great, he took a bottom 5-8 team and turned them into a bubble team, making the gap to actual contention even further away.

Rebooting the season after going all in and trading 1st, 2nd, 3rd's is terrible. I think people, especially those who supported this guy, are going to look back in 5-10 years and wonder what the heck they were thinking.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
3 big canadian teams leading the race, only one of them deserves votes. It's the guy who ran out of time to sign Toffoli, who wanted to stay, while chasing OEL.

I get most Toronto fans probably voted for Bergevin, and probably some to the glasses kid who paid his good players, but I don't understand how any semi educated hockey fan could look at Jim Benning's body of work outside of mostly top 10 picks (that he was awarded by the league for sucking while he thought he was a 100 point playoff team) is terrible.

Yes JT Miller looks great, he took a bottom 5-8 team and turned them into a bubble team, making the gap to actual contention even further away.

Rebooting the season after going all in and trading 1st, 2nd, 3rd's is terrible. I think people, especially those who supported this guy, are going to look back in 5-10 years and wonder what the heck they were thinking.

To the bolded. I'm a Habs fan - and if I had to guess waaaaaay more Habs fan voted for Bergevin than anyone else. He's not very well liked lol.

No question in my mind however that Bergevin is 100% the leading candidate for GM of the year award. That award is based on single season only - and all of his off season moves are paying off really big so far, and Habs are a top team in the league (huge jump from last year in standings). Obviously - it's still very early in the season, but assuming Habs have a strong full seasons and the new additions continue to do well - I'd be shocked to see any other GM in contention.

i don't know that any GM made as many moves this off season, and certainly not for any team who was as low in standings as Habs and who would move up a lot.

Maybe if the Laine/PLD trade ends up benefiting one side or the other hugely, that gm could be in the running too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
David Poile has to be up there.

- Seth Jones for Johansen
- Shea Weber for Subban
- Sam Girard and a 2nd for Turris
- Matt Duchene 8M x 7 years
- 1st rounder for Ryan Hartman
- Fiala for Granlund.

Here’s his recent draft record

9F3793F0-011D-4604-BE0F-6BCD095C1478.jpeg

And as I mentioned above, Girard was given away along with a 2nd rounder and Kamenev for Turris who will be eating up 2M a year for 7 years to play for another team.

This guy gets a lot of credit for the Forsberg trade which was great but he’s really bad at his job in general.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
David Poile has to be up there.

- Seth Jones for Johansen
- Shea Weber for Subban
- Sam Girard and a 2nd for Turris
- Matt Duchene 8M x 7 years
- 1st rounder for Ryan Hartman
- Fiala for Granlund.

Here’s his recent draft record

View attachment 392906

And as I mentioned above, Girard was given away along with a 2nd rounder and Kamenev for Turris who will be eating up 2M a year for 7 years to play for another team.

This guy gets a lot of credit for the Forsberg trade which was great but he’s really bad at his job in general.
Pretty obvious this guy has heavy pro bias for the USHL and it's impacting their drafting. A lot.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
here is my evidence
Lmao.

1. A hit piece from some nobody Islanders fan on Youtube is not evidence.
2. That individual not only cherry picked quotes from statements made over multiple years, and edited out parts of those quotes that didn't fit his narrative, but he also created massively misleading sequences by taking statements and falsely editing them together as responses to completely different questions. A disgusting action that he even admits to doing.
3. There is nothing within that video that supports the blatantly false and slanderous claims you have been making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad