Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What is their record? It can also change.
Idk, say Jeff Gorton. Teams awful, does that make him a bad GM?

I think you have to judge via the intentions of team. Like if they've been trying to win for sure for the last few years and think they're at that contender spot, but can't win a single playoff round. That's a pretty damning indictment of the GM.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You are very incorrect there. See below.

Even if that were true, is he the worst because... he doesnt get your credit for Tavares?

"Worst" is pretty strong. Theres 31 GMs in the league. He must have some pretty bad f*** ups right?

Right?
I never said he was the worst, I voted Holland. All I was pointing out was that there are some reasons he is getting so many votes in this poll beyond just the Leafs hatred.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Idk, say Jeff Gorton. Teams awful, does that make him a bad GM?

I think you have to judge via the intentions of team. Like if they've been trying to win for sure for the last few years and think they're at that contender spot, but can't win a single playoff round. That's a pretty damning indictment of the GM.

That's also in the past.
What's the record now?

I said GMs live in THIS moment.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That's also in the past.
What's the record now?

I said GMs live in THIS moment.
Okay. I think you're view is odd for judging by management.

Long term and short term decisions are being made by those in that power. Simply right here and now judgements amount to nothing for a GM. Regular season success is also pretty minor of an achievement.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Okay. I think you're view is odd for judging by management.

Long term and short term decisions are being made by those in that power. Simply right here and now judgements amount to nothing for a GM. Regular season success is also pretty minor of an achievement.

Sakic was considered the worst when COL got filled in that one season
As an example.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Sakic was considered the worst when COL got filled in that one season
As an example.
He was considered GM for what 3 years of downward spiraling? He lost one of his top 6 players to FA for nothing, traded one for poor value, and had what looked like a upward young team being diminished.

It wasn't 1 season. It wasn't in the singular moment of badness. It was a team trying to build a young successful team and falling apart. Luckily Roy's leaving and decisions in charge change the course for them.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol. Tavares has cited Dubas and his presentation as a significant factor in him choosing to come to Toronto. Dubas is the only GM in the league who doesn't get credit for his UFA signings.
Don't worry, when a thread comes up about the Leafs cap situation the narrative will shift to "Dubass is a moron for convincing Tavares to sign in Toronto."

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Lol. Tavares has cited Dubas and his presentation as a significant factor in him choosing to come to Toronto. Dubas is the only GM in the league who doesn't get credit for his UFA signings.
Tavares also spoke about how much he wanted to remain an Islander, his word is not exactly credible, reality is there is no way Tavares was not going to sign with the Leafs when he entered those meetings, he just used them to get the Leafs to pay as much as possible

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tavares also spoke about how much he wanted to remain an Islander, his word is not exactly credible, reality is there is no way Tavares was not going to sign with the Leafs when he entered those meetings, he just used them to get the Leafs to pay as much as possible
You have no basis to make these claims. His word is very credible. You can want multiple things in life.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Anyone who truly believes this is out to lunch. Tavares had a ton of suiters. He didn't need the Islanders to apply pressure to Toronto. If anything - the Islanders didn't help. San Jose and others (Montreal if he had talked to them) were willing to offer quite a bit more then Toronto/NYI did - and SJ actually did offer more, 13M$ if I remember right. If he wanted leverage, he didn't need NYI.

The truth is he probably wasn't sure where he wanted to play. If he was leaving NYI for sure, he would have told them. It was a last minute decision. NYI were willing to take the risk by not trading him at the deadline.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Anyone who truly believes this is out to lunch. Tavares had a ton of suiters. He didn't need the Islanders to apply pressure to Toronto. If anything - the Islanders didn't help. San Jose and others (Montreal if he had talked to them) were willing to offer quite a bit more then Toronto/NYI did - and SJ actually did offer more, 13M$ if I remember right. If he wanted leverage, he didn't need NYI.

The truth is he probably wasn't sure where he wanted to play. If he was leaving NYI for sure, he would have told them. It was a last minute decision. NYI were willing to take the risk by not trading him at the deadline.
Ha if Tavares told the Islanders he was leaving, than the Leafs would be the clear and decisive front runner and I am guessing they would offer him like 5 year 9 million per contract, he needed the Islanders mainly and of course a few other teams to make the Leafs pay up.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
You have no basis to make these claims. His word is very credible. You can want multiple things in life.
My basis is based on everything he said in the years leading up to his FA and all the positive changes the Islanders made in his last year and he still did not re-sign, he had no intention on ever re-signing with the Islanders and the evidence is strong, he just needed them to make the Leafs give as much as possible

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My basis is based on everything he said in the years leading up to his FA and all the positive changes the Islanders made in his last year and he still did not re-sign, he had no intention on ever re-signing with the Islanders and the evidence is strong, he just needed them to make the Leafs give as much as possible
Nothing he said or did supports any of your claims. You've just made wild, unsupported assumptions and attacks on his character based entirely off of not liking the end result of a decision he came to after a lot of careful consideration.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Don't worry, when a thread comes up about the Leafs cap situation the narrative will shift to "Dubass is a moron for convincing Tavares to sign in Toronto."
There has already been one of those threads.

Is Tavares worth his contract? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

So it's true that the Leafs haters claim how Tavares only wanted to play in Toronto 1 year before he signed with them and Dubas deserves no credit for signing him.

However when things are going wrong Dubas gets the blame saying how he overpaid to sign him.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Yes it's true that San Jose offered Tavares 7 years and $13 million AVV.

John Tavares, Sharks face off with no regrets over how free agency unfolded - Sportsnet.ca

They were even willing to go as high as $91-million to sign No. 91, which is $2-million more per season on a seven-year deal than he ended up getting from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Also according to this Tavares didn't make his decision to sign with Toronto until 9:00 PM EST on June 30, 2018.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

At approximately 9:00 p.m. Eastern time on Sat., June 30, Tavares called Dubas. “I told him I wanted to come,” Tavares says. “‘Let’s get it done.’”

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Nothing he said or did supports any of your claims. You've just made wild, unsupported assumptions and attacks on his character based entirely off of not liking the end result of a decision he came to after a lot of careful consideration.
literally everything he said and did supports my claim, literally everything

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The pick ups by Bergevin this off season are all paying off early on. Toffoli 3 goals, Anderson 2 goals, Allen 1-0, Romanov looking like a future #1D, I may be missing a few players. Wonder how this poll will look like if this season continues like this for the Habs. It is still early though.

Credit to Bergevin, but don't you think the bolded might be a big exaggeration? No one expect Habs fans even expected him to be a first pair defenseman before the season and now he's projecting like a 1D?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Am I the only one who thinks Cheveldayof has been making some questionable moves the last several years? Is it all just circumstance, i.e. players wanting out?

You aren't the only one, although I wouldn't say he's the worst.

They've accomplished almost nothing though with a lot of the main pieces teams need to be really good in this league. They always seem to underachieve.

I also think that Laine for PLD trade isn't going to look great in a few years, and that'll be another of his bad moves.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Credit to Bergevin, but don't you think the bolded might be a big exaggeration? No one expect Habs fans even expected him to be a first pair defenseman before the season and now he's projecting like a 1D?
I dunno, I think a few had hopes for top pairing for sure after he had outstanding WJC showings in back to back seasons (among other things), similar to how a few people view Sandin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like what I have seen Pavel. He has the potential to be a #1D IMO. The question to me is will be a poor man's #1 or a legit #1. He's young, and he's only 9 games into his NHL career. We(I) like to project prospects and young players. It's what we do, as prospects watchers. It's fun. When they get there, it's just stating the obvious, but to state it before it is a fait accompli is far more rewarding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad