Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Am I the only one who thinks Cheveldayof has been making some questionable moves the last several years? Is it all just circumstance, i.e. players wanting out?

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
The results just show how bad fans are at evaluating this kind of stuff.

Benning drafts an embarrassment of riches- Petterson, Hughes, BB, Demko, etc = great scouting team.
Benning signs and overpays some bums = worst GM ever

Vancouver, 4-5 years ago was in a bottom 5 situation in the league. I feel like right now, they're top 10. They were a game or so away from a conference finals trip last year. I think they dodged a bullet in losing some of the guys they did this offseason. Toffoli being an exception. They will continue to trend upwards and the contracts hurt, but they will pass by and Vancouver will still have those studs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
After today MB isn't near the worst. He held his ground on not trading Suzuki and Romanov for PLD WHICH IS great news for the Habs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Am I the only one who thinks Cheveldayof has been making some questionable moves the last several years? Is it all just circumstance, i.e. players wanting out?

Hes an odd case, thats for sure.

On one level the team seems to draft fairly well and has done fine on the contract front. Yet they clearly have a hard time retaining talent (though obviously that could be the fact that Winnipeg just isn't for everyone).

The wider problem is that team seemed like it was on the upswing for a while but then stagnation set in.

I've never been a big fan of Maurice. Id look there first for a change. Maybe ask Boudreau nicely if he'd do it

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The worst GM in the NHL just had another player he acquired in the off season score in his 1st game as a Hab, Corey Perry. And he is looking good, almost scored another. This was a peculiar poll indeed.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
The worst GM in the NHL just had another player he acquired in the off season score in his 1st game as a Hab, Corey Perry. And he is looking good, almost scored another. This was a peculiar poll indeed.

If you wanted a bigger flex for MB ufa signing toffoli is tied for the league lead in goals and in points. Recent re-sign petry leads for points by a D and is the league leader on +/-. Ufa signing Edmundson is 2nd in +/- in the league as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I can't believe Dubas got more votes than Benning

this poll was made shortly after we lost in game 7 of the 2nd round. At that moment there is no way Benning will be at the bottom as his team made it actually further than 26 other NHL teams.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Stan Bowman.

What is he doing there?

The Hawks were getting better and much closer to being a contender than doing a rebuild.

So now you’re tearing things apart but Kane and Toews are still on team.

What is he doing?
What an odd assement?

I think I voted Stan 2nd when these polls came out.

But they were not closer to being a contender or getting better. They've also been in a rebuild sort of move since 2017 but their team president always sold playoffs as their goal.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
What an odd assement?

I think I voted Stan 2nd when these polls came out.

But they were not closer to being a contender or getting better. They've also been in a rebuild sort of move since 2017 but their team president always sold playoffs as their goal.

They were getting better. Toews and Kane sum it up as they both said they were surprised and disenchanted with the Hawks moves this off season. They thought the Hawks were trying to win and that right there says it all.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
as much as I want to see Benning replaced, he's really not the worst, his draft record is pretty damn good, his trades "recently" have been also very good, however free agency signings is very bad, but not the worst, still want him gone, but he's really not the "worst" but he's near there.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Why are Dubas and Bergeron leading the poll? They have arguable put together two of the leagues most complete teams this season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They were getting better. Toews and Kane sum it up as they both said they were surprised and disenchanted with the Hawks moves this off season. They thought the Hawks were trying to win and that right there says it all.
That's where I think upper management and what a GM can and is doing are at odds with a message. Those players were also talked to to understand that really this projection rebuild path was started in 2017 and been so. Why I give Benning a pass is from above him he wasn't allowed to rebuild at all until the Sedins retired. But if you can set yourself up better long term in that path, by doing what you can to cut pay issues long term you should do it. Bowman's issues are all prior moves you can certainly knock him for that.

But they were not getting closer to being a contender. That's a terrible evaluation. Anyone, fans of the team and outside could easily see it was a team only boosted by two top 10 goalies and as a unit, aren't close to competing so they need to do some tanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad