Worst GM in the league right now

Who is the worst GM in the league right now?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree, but things cant always be perfect. Main thing is they got him signed and didn't risk losing him as according to Friedman, Arizona was going to come at him with a massive offer sheet.
Here is a link to that story saying the Coyotes wanted to do that.

Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

I'm also willing to bet if Matthews did sign an offer sheet with Arizona I'm sure the same people who hate his contract with Toronto would have loved to see him sign an offer sheet and say he was worth the money.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I voted for Stan Bowman, but Jim Rutherford and Doug Wilson are just as bad in my opinion. Rutherford seems to get by on his name alone, and it's looking as though what he did to Carolina is starting to happen in Pittsburgh, with only Crosby and Malkin holding it together to a degree.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You didn't answer my question. I'll repeat it then: How many goals would Nylander (or Marner) have scored if he was fully committed to forechecking, back checking, hitting, and good defense?
I can not believe your questioning Nylander and his production because after he signed his contract and had a horrible 2018-19 Season which was to be expected since he missed training camp and all those regular season games, he was called overpaid and not worth the money he was making. So last season he proved all those doubters wrong and that's what matters.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
& the Blues would've lost them to RFA.

Once Eichel and McDavid got 10 million+ there was absolutely ZERO chance Matthews was getting less than 10/year.

Marner put up 94 points in a contract year.... was going to be very hard to get him for less than 10. Especially with Matthews up for a new deal at the same time.

Oilers were lucky in that LD hadn't exploded offensively when his ELC was up and that McDavid hadn't reset the RFA market yet.
There is nothing wrong with Bridge contracts, there is nothing wrong in letting players sit, there is nothing wrong with trading entitled players. There is something wrong in overpaying and succumbing to the wants of young players, especially when they are RFA's. It seems agents knew who they were dealing with, they voted overwhelmingly that Dubas was the most player friendly GM to deal with. It's not his fault he is perceived this way by Agents. But there can be fault at the organization for entrusting him to deal with all these signings with no experience as a GM. Like it or not, cap, negotiation, dealing with players, coaches is a big part of being a GM. Dubas has not been on the right side of many of these things.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There is nothing wrong with Bridge contracts, there is nothing wrong in letting players sit, there is nothing wrong with trading entitled players. There is something wrong in overpaying and succumbing to the wants of young players, especially when they are RFA's. It seems agents knew who they were dealing with, they voted overwhelmingly that Dubas was the most player friendly GM to deal with. It's not his fault he is perceived this way by Agents. But there can be fault at the organization for entrusting him to deal with all these signings with no experience as a GM. Like it or not, cap, negotiation, dealing with players, coaches is a big part of being a GM. Dubas has not been on the right side of many of these things.
Did you ever think Dubas was voted that way because he use to be a player agent and knows what it's like to be on both sides of the negotiating table.

So not everyone needs to be an old dinosaur (Your words that described Lou Lamoriello when he was the Maple Leafs GM) when dealing with other players.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I can not believe your questioning Nylander and his production because after he signed his contract and had a horrible 2018-19 Season which was to be expected since he missed training camp and all those regular season games, he was called overpaid and not worth the money he was making. So last season he proved all those doubters wrong and that's what matters.

Nylander is a talented player. No one is saying otherwise. However, I'm questioning the overall basis of comparing points between players that are committed to different things. Here in STL, Berube demands a physical, 200 ft game. If you are not willing to play that way, he will sit you in the press box regardless of your skill level. Playing that style will reduce your point totals in favor of ensuring your team winning close games. Until every player in the league is fully committed to playing that style, I see no purpose in comparing point totals and using that as a basis for contract negotiation.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
How many goals would he have scored if he was fully committed to forechecking, back checking, hitting, and good defense?

If Nylander was committed to those things, he would have been looking at a Tarasenko type of contract, with inflation putting it around 8-8.5.

I do wish he was more committed to his own zone defence, but he holds his ground in the middle of the ice. Maybe he will improve with age...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did you ever think Dubas was voted that way because he use to be a player agent and knows what it's like to be on both sides of the negotiating table.
No, I think agents were being truthful when he was overwhelmingly voted the easiest GM to get a player friendly deal on. It was Dubas that negotiated himself into a cap crunch despite inheriting a 105 pt team with 28M in capspace. The proof is in the contracts he has handed out.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I voted for Stan Bowman, but Jim Rutherford and Doug Wilson are just as bad in my opinion. Rutherford seems to get by on his name alone, and it's looking as though what he did to Carolina is starting to happen in Pittsburgh, with only Crosby and Malkin holding it together to a degree.

I voted Rutherford with similar feelings about the other two. Rutherford moves are puzzling and will have some long-term impacts. As far as the other two, Chicago's goaltending might be historically bad and bringing in Dubnyk at this point in his career to pair with Jones is an odd choice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, I think agents were being truthful when he was overwhelmingly voted the easiest GM to get a player friendly deal on. It was Dubas that negotiated himself into a cap crunch despite inheriting a 105 pt team with 28M in capspace. The proof is in the contracts he has handed out.
On that same poll Lamoriello was voted the toughest GM to deal with and some would say his way of things is something those agents don't appreciate his way of thinking when dealing with them.

I once heard a story where he refused to make a trade because there was a leak from someone on the other team, even though the trade itself had been agreed to.

NHL Agent Poll: Maple Leafs’ Kyle Dubas Deemed Most Generous GM

And speaking of Lamoriello, that brings us to the other interesting question raised by PuckPedia: Who is the toughest GM to deal with?

Lamoriello, the Maple Leafs’ GM from 2015-2018 (and now the Islanders’ GM), blew away the competition here with 33 percent of the vote. Behind him were Bob Murray (Ducks) and Doug Armstrong (Blues), at 14 percent apiece. Dubas did not receive any votes.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
So Bergevin has the most votes? I dunno, Habs look pretty good for a team with so little homegrown talent. Maybe his fault is to not have revamped the scouting department.
Pretty much this.

He’s made a few bad moves but he’s made some really good ones as well. Our biggest issue is our scouting.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Dubas has built a pretty solid team too. Not sure if you noticed but the leafs defence is looking pretty good this season. Brodie has fit perfectly.

Leafs have gotten worse since Dubas took over. Lower in the standings, and still stuck in the first round of the playoffs. Last year the Leafs missed the playoffs.

Dubas has taken a young, talented team on the upswing and...completely stalled them.

With the pandemic cap, Andersen and Rielly up for contracts soon, and massive amount of money invested into Tavares/Matthews/Marner, Leafs are in a tough position. Not a whole lot of room to change up a formula that clearly isn’t working.

Reactions: TS Quint

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
It's definitely Benning.

Imagine having an elite scouting staff that essentially built the foundation of the organization, but squandering that talent by surrounding them with overpaid, depth players.

Myers, Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Baertschi, Ferland is about $29 million in cap

Replace those players with Pietrangelo, Hall, Markstrom, and Toffoli with their current contracts (I know Pietrangelo and Hall likely wouldn't have signed with Vancouver). These four UFA's would've been cheaper than the players above.

Reactions: cookiefest

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Leafs have gotten worse since Dubas took over. Lower in the standings, and still stuck in the first round of the playoffs. Last year the Leafs missed the playoffs.

Dubas has taken a young, talented team on the upswing and...completely stalled them.

With the pandemic cap, Andersen and Rielly up for contracts soon, and massive amount of money invested into Tavares/Matthews/Marner, Leafs are in a tough position. Not a whole lot of room to change up a formula that clearly isn’t working.
Dubas inherited a whole lot of bad contracts from lou. Hes managed to clear all those and simultaneously make the team better. Funny how it's only opposing fans tell leaf fans how bad their GM is?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Dubas inherited a whole lot of bad contracts from lou. Hes managed to clear all those and simultaneously make the team better. Funny how it's only opposing fans tell leaf fans how bad their GM is?

Wait..how has he made the team better? Leafs had their best regular season under Lou. They’re still stuck in the first round. Last season they missed the playoffs under Dubas.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Wait..how has he made the team better? Leafs had their best regular season under Lou. They’re still stuck in the first round. Last season they missed the playoffs under Dubas.
Hmm let's see
-Added brodie, the best defense partner Reilly has ever had
-Traded the awful zaitsev contract, he was never going to be anything more than a bottom pair D yet Lou gave him 7 (!!???!!) years
-Drafted Sandin, Robertson, and Niemela, three guys who will likely be a huge part of this team going forward
-Acquired a competant backup goalie in Campbell
-Rounded up the bottom 6 with guys like Simmonds and spezza who have fit perfectly here
-Signed key russian FA Mikheyev, barabanov and Lehtonen for cheap deals
-Signed JT (no explanation needed)
-Traded kappy for a 1st AND prospects like Hallinder (unreal haul)

Facts are, this is the most well rounded team the leafs have had in years and they're set up way better for the future.

Lou got to build a team around 3 studs on their entry level deals and he still couldnt ice a competant defense.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Might that be the definition of homerism?
Don’t think so. Most leaf fans are fine with Dubas and see the improvements he made to this team in offseason. When leaf fans want someone fired, you’ll know. Think babcock, JFJ, Burke, Carlyle etc... the fan base hasn’t turned on Dubas yet. They’ve gotta do well this season though. Let’s hope the players don’t let him down. No excuses now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad