Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Koskinen was a significant over pay, but atleast it was short term and he still adds some value. Lucic adds no value at all when he plays, has several years left in his deal and is buyout proof.

It’s comical.

Don't forget Chia had to trade away pieces to make room for a 6M albatross .

Reactions: MisterD

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Lucic takes about 15% of the forward budget and can be dumped down a lineup with 12-13 other forwards.
Koskinen takes up 85% of the goalie budget and has only 1 other player on the roster that can replace him.

Lucic contract can be made to be moveable.
Koskinens deal is not moveable. Bad goalie contracts are not moveable.

It’s not just the contract you have to factor in but the percentage of the cap space FOR the position the cap takes, and how moveable the deal is. Because of the position Koskinens deal has the potential to be far worse than Lucic deal.

Reactions: bone

space321

May 11, 2011
Lucic takes about 15% of the forward budget and can be dumped down a lineup with 12-13 other forwards.
Koskinen takes up 85% of the goalie budget and has only 1 other player on the roster that can replace him.

It’s not just the contract you have to factor in but the percentage of the cap space FOR the position the cap takes, and how moveable the deal is. Because of the position Koskinens deal has the potential to be far worse than Lucic deal.

Dude you're wrong, just give it a rest. Once Lucic's contract actually gets moved we can consider others for the worst contract throne. Up until that point, Lucic by far. 6M for an AHL calibre player lmao.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I see a decent goalie in Koskinen at least, but he definitely needs a proper goalie coach to help him with his glove hand. Even Hrudey said that behind the back save against Gaudreau might be the greatest save he's ever seen a goalie make, he can be pretty impressive when he is on his game.

I think Koski is actually been the 3rd best player on the team this year, McDavid and Draisaitl are obviously 1 and 2. RNH was 3rd but he's really dropped off, I put him at 4th now.

Koskinen is the main reason we had 2/3 of our "hot streaks" this year.

1. McDavid
2. Draisaitl
3. Koskinen
4. RNH
5. (tie) Nurse
5. (tie) Klefbom (would by 5 alone if he didn't freaking get hurt all the time)

Are the Oilers top 5 players this year IMO.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Dude you're wrong, just give it a rest. Once Lucic's contract actually gets moved we can consider others for the worst contract throne. Up until that point, Lucic by far. 6M for an AHL calibre player lmao.

Dude you’re wrong. ;)
Koskinen is our starting goalie for 3 years. When the Oilers are scrambling for another goalie in the middle of next season let me know whose deal is worse.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I see a decent goalie in Koskinen at least, but he definitely needs a proper goalie coach to help him with his glove hand. Even Hrudey said that behind the back save against Gaudreau might be the greatest save he's ever seen a goalie make, he can be pretty impressive when he is on his game.

I think Koski is actually been the 3rd best player on the team this year, McDavid and Draisaitl are obviously 1 and 2. RNH was 3rd but he's really dropped off, I put him at 4th now.

Koskinen is the main reason we had 2/3 of our "hot streaks" this year.

1. McDavid
2. Draisaitl
3. Koskinen
4. RNH
5. (tie) Nurse
5. (tie) Klefbom (would by 5 alone if he didn't freaking get hurt all the time)

Are the Oilers top 5 players this year IMO.

He’s also been by far the one of the top 3 worst players on the team too many times and in such a key position it’s a killer.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

If we bury Koskinen we only have 2.x M dead cap space after the 1M relief for AHL assignment. With Lucics NMC its not even an option but if it was it would still cost us double that on the cap. Thats the only # that matters. There is no relief to be had from this crippled albatross, except perhaps early retirement?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If we bury Koskinen we only have 2.x M dead cap space after the 1M relief for AHL assignment. With Lucics NMC its not even an option but if it was it would still cost us double that on the cap. Thats the only # that matters. There is no relief to be had from this crippled albatross, except perhaps early retirement?

Koskinens deal would count as about 3.5 M towards the cap not 2 million.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Koskinens deal would count as about 3.5 M towards the cap not 2 million.

Mea culpa, the cap hit is higher than i thought, but its still easily more palatable and possible to bury than Lucic. If we retain 50% on koskinen even, it puts his contract into affordable back up goalie range and i suspect could easily be moved ar that level.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mea culpa, the cap hit is higher than i thought, but its still easily more palatable and possible to bury than Lucic. If we retain 50% on koskinen even, it puts his contract into affordable back up goalie range and i suspect could easily be moved ar that level.

No worries. Disagree - Nobody wants a goalie - even for free - for term, that has a propensity for letting in bad goals and has a pancake skillet for a glove hand.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Dumbest might be Manning honestly, granted it wasn't us that signed it.

Overpays on shorter terms aren't nearly as damaging as longer term overpays with NMCs/NMTs. That's why the only ones in the conversation to me are Lucic and Kosko. If we're looking to 3rd worst then Russell comes into play. After that most are either close enough to market to be fair or have short enough term and waiver flexibility to minimize the damage.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He’s also been by far the one of the top 3 worst players on the team too many times and in such a key position it’s a killer.

Well that's the nature of goaltending any loss where he's not one of the top players = he was one of the worst players, even if that's probably not fair.

Like yesterday's game, he's getting raked over the coals, but the Oilers never showed up to play in that game, lol. Kassian did, but that's about it.

The shots at one point were like 15-5 or something ridiculous in the first and for most of the 1st he had them still in the game at only 0-1. The 0-2 goal is not his fault.

I mean could he totally bust next year ... yeah, but so could any goalie the Oilers sign. Bobrovsky is never coming here, and he's going to want $8 mill+ per on his next deal now that Price has set a new standard for goalie salaries.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well that's the nature of goaltending any loss where he's not one of the top players = he was one of the worst players, even if that's probably not fair.

Like yesterday's game, he's getting raked over the coals, but the Oilers never showed up to play in that game, lol. Kassian did, but that's about it.

The shots at one point were like 15-5 or something ridiculous in the first and for most of the 1st he had them still in the game at only 0-1. The 0-2 goal is not his fault.

I mean could he totally bust next year ... yeah, but so could any goalie the Oilers sign. Bobrovsky is never coming here, and he's going to want $8 mill+ per on his next deal now that Price has set a new standard for goalie salaries.

Point being is his consistency is not what it should be for a starting goalie in the NHL. Have to agree to disagree with you on his value to the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Haha so true. So many bad contacts and only one winner.

At least long term the cap situation is not that bad. Two years from now the Oilers will have $25+ million in cap space even with Lucic on the books. Three years from now it's a mamoth $40+ million in cap room.

Next season will be tight but it starts to ease up after that. Would it really even be smart for the Oilers to do something like blow $9 mill/season on a turning 29 Matt Duchene anyway even if they had the money.

In 2-3 years you could be saying "man wish we hadn't signed that contract" and round and round the merry go round goes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Point being is his consistency is not what it should be for a starting goalie in the NHL. Have to agree to disagree with you on his value to the team.

Look at the team in front of him though, lol, they are one of the most mistake prone teams in the NHL.

Even in 16-17, Talbot was bailing their asses out a lot, Larsson in a freaking playoff game overtime decides to leave his side of the ice completely empty so Getzlaf can score (IIRC) ... in a f***ing playoff game how does that even happen.

This team makes some of the most mind numbing defensive errors you'll ever see.

EDIT: It was Getzlaf to Silverberg (4:05 in)

But how freaking often do you see a break down with this much stupid in it in a playoff game, over time? What the hell was Larsson thinking there. This is the type of stuff goalies have to contend with here.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
At least long term the cap situation is not that bad. Two years from now the Oilers will have $25+ million in cap space even with Lucic on the books. Three years from now it's a mamoth $40+ million in cap room.

Next season will be tight but it starts to ease up after that. Would it really even be smart for the Oilers to do something like blow $9 mill/season on a turning 29 Matt Duchene anyway even if they had the money.

In 2-3 years you could be saying "man wish we hadn't signed that contract" and round and round the merry go round goes.

We need a short term solution to our top6 problem up front, and i think its fair to hope and pray that we can fill some holes from within but I dont think that we can get by without at least 1 quality outside addition. We are already starting to develop a sad loser mentality again and you know it can take years to get past that once its entrenched, especially with inevitable trade requests and absence of desire of quality staff to get involved in the mire. I hope we can get somebody at least in the Perron range of skill without ruining whats left of our financial prospects.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Look at the team in front of him though, lol, they are one of the most mistake prone teams in the NHL.

Even in 16-17, Talbot was bailing their asses out a lot, Larsson in a freaking playoff game overtime decides to leave his side of the ice completely empty so Getzlaf can score (IIRC) ... in a ****ing playoff game how does that even happen.

This team makes some of the most mind numbing defensive errors you'll ever see.

EDIT: It was Getzlaf to Silverberg (4:05 in)

But how freaking often do you see a break down with this much stupid in it in a playoff game, over time? What the hell was Larsson thinking there. This is the type of stuff goalies have to contend with here.

I don’t disagree but letting in short side softies and top shelfers over the glove on a consistent basis is all on the goalie.

space321

May 11, 2011
Dude you’re wrong. ;)
Koskinen is our starting goalie for 3 years. When the Oilers are scrambling for another goalie in the middle of next season let me know whose deal is worse.

It's hilarious how wrong you are tbh. No goalie will be able to save the Oilers if they don't upgrade their top 4 D and bottom 9 F. Swap in a Vezina trophy winner like Holtby and we will still barely make the playoffs.

Guess who's actively taking up one of those forward slots? That's right, Milan Lucic. AKA a 13th forward quality player being paid 6M AAV with a NMC. And his contract lasts longer than Koskinen's lmao. Literally can't make this shit up with how terrible that Lucic contract is.

If we somehow got rid of Lucic's contract like you said (although I don't think it's as easy as you claim), then by virtue of upgrading the forwards and defense, Koskinen is more than capable of helping the team compete.

Also I would like you to take a look at the pool of free agent goalies and tell me who you think we could get at a reasonable contract, and at the same time would be a certain upgrade over Koskinen. You want Bobrovsky for 10M? Hell, even if the Oilers wanted Bobrovsky at 10M (which they shouldn't, because that's stupid), guess what's stopping them? Lucic's contract.

Again, your only gripe with Koskinen is that he "lets in softies over the glove side". And your only argument in favour of Lucic's contract is that it's "movable". I'll gladly come back and change my vote to Koskinen once 1. Lucic gets moved, and 2. Koskinen's glove hand costs the team a playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad