Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Starter money for a 30-year-old with under thirty games of NHL experience.

I can at least somewhat understand the Lucic deal, and they were bidding with a couple other teams. Koskinen was months away from hitting free agency, yet the idiots in charge still managed to substantially drive up his price on themselves.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It's easily Lucic.
Koskinen has won some games for this team. There are points in the bank because of the good games he played. I get that he's cost the team several losses as well, but wtf has Lucic done for the team? Nothing.

None of the other names are even in the conversation based on $$ alone.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Lucic even though like Del Preston said it was some what understandable at the time. Still koskinen is overpaid about 2.5 mill while lucic is overpaid about 5.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's easily Lucic.
Koskinen has won some games for this team. There are points in the bank because of the good games he played. I get that he's cost the team several losses as well, but wtf has Lucic done for the team? Nothing.

None of the other names are even in the conversation based on $$ alone.

Larsson could get there by the end of next season if his decline continues.

Reactions: dawunderboy

space321

May 11, 2011
Not sure how people can even vote for anyone other than Lucic. I guess asking some Oiler fans to make objective choices is impossible.

Have you guys taken a look at Koskinen's stats? The fact that he has a .911 sv% and is 5 games above .500 is frankly pretty incredible given the state of the F and D. If it wasn't for Koskinen we would be Ottawa level right about now, looking at Jack Hughes. If we're not trading for a better goalie (like who do we even have to trade away? plus we're still looking to upgrade every other position first) then we have to look for them in free agency.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Just take a look at the list of free agent goalies and tell me there's a cost efficient target in there. Bobrovsky is an overpaid contract in the making. Varlamov is injury prone and on par with Koskinen's stats. Smith and Howard are looking for retirement contracts. The only one on that list who should even be considered seriously is Robin Lehner and what are the chances we land him at a reasonable contract? Zero.

Based on the circumstances at the time of his signing, could we possibly have gotten Koskinen for cheaper? No doubt. But it's only 3 years. He's going to be 30-33 in those years which should basically be prime years for a goalie still. If the defense (all 5 players) in front of him weren't f***ing Pejorative Slured, this team would be comfortably in the playoffs. You don't need a vezina level goalie to succeed in this league.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
So obvious, I'm not sure the poll was needed.

There's one contract on this team that is overvalued by 400%, with 4 more years, with a full NMC, that is completely buyout proof.

Reactions: bone

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So obvious, I'm not sure the poll was needed.

There's one contract on this team that is overvalued by 400%, with 4 more years, with a full NMC, that is completely buyout proof.

I made the poll because people were discussing it in the PGT.

Just to see if opinions had changed.

It’s not actually completely buyout proof though.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I made the poll because people were discussing it in the PGT.

Just to see if opinions had changed.

It’s not actually completely buyout proof though.

I can see how people would be frustrated with Koskinen's contract after a game like that, but man, Lucic's contract is something from hell.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
FTFY: Who has the worst contract on the team besides Lucic?

Sekera, then maybe a toss up between Russell. To be honest Koskinen's stats are probably right around what a $4 million dollar goalie should get factoring in the wishy washy injury prone D in front of him, but he does have odd quirks in his game that he's going to have to figure out and fast.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Starter money for a 30-year-old with under thirty games of NHL experience.

I can at least somewhat understand the Lucic deal, and they were bidding with a couple other teams. Koskinen was months away from hitting free agency, yet the idiots in charge still managed to substantially drive up his price on themselves.

A bit of starters would be struggling with this team.

Oct 15, 2008
It’s Koskinen. And Lucic. And Larsson. And Nugent Hopkins.

Basically everyone other than McDavid and Draisaitl.

Oct 15, 2008
Sekera, then maybe a toss up between Russell. To be honest Koskinen's stats are probably right around what a $4 million dollar goalie should get factoring in the wishy washy injury prone D in front of him, but he does have odd quirks in his game that he's going to have to figure out and fast.
Koskinen couldn’t stop a $10 hooker with a $100 dollar bill.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think the only way that the Oilers can protect themselves from themselves is to lobby the league for a "cap forgiveness clause." Let's say that every 3 years you are allowed to buy out 1 guy with no resulting/remaining cap hit- just pay him the money left in the contract and erase his name from the cap list. With Katz's money the Lucic contract would just be some loose change in his pocket, assuming of course that Katz doesn't lose his pants in a hotel room somewhere.

Unfortunately, it won't be the last time that the club gets caught in this cap situation because ineptitude and elitism are the gifts that keep on giving.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
At face value it’s Lucic. I said in the PGT Koskos could be worse if this is Koskinens game. The Lucic deal can be moved in the summer of next year or even this year given the alignment of the stars and some creative book keeping among three teams.

It is absolutely impossible to move a bad goalie contract because there are only 2 per team (except Philly who have 8). Look at Carolina and Scott Darling.

So Koskinens deal may rocket to the top of this poll in a few months and that’s why I voted Koskinen, as it is far more unmoveable than Lucic’ deal.

Reactions: Messrules11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad