Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's hilarious how wrong you are tbh. No goalie will be able to save the Oilers if they don't upgrade their top 4 D and bottom 9 F. Swap in a Vezina trophy winner like Holtby and we will still barely make the playoffs.

Guess who's actively taking up one of those forward slots? That's right, Milan Lucic. AKA a 13th forward quality player being paid 6M AAV with a NMC. And his contract lasts longer than Koskinen's lmao. Literally can't make this **** up with how terrible that Lucic contract is.

If we somehow got rid of Lucic's contract like you said (although I don't think it's as easy as you claim), then by virtue of upgrading the forwards and defense, Koskinen is more than capable of helping the team compete.

Also I would like you to take a look at the pool of free agent goalies and tell me who you think we could get at a reasonable contract, and at the same time would be a certain upgrade over Koskinen. You want Bobrovsky for 10M? Hell, even if the Oilers wanted Bobrovsky at 10M (which they shouldn't, because that's stupid), guess what's stopping them? Lucic's contract.

Again, your only gripe with Koskinen is that he "lets in softies over the glove side". And your only argument in favour of Lucic's contract is that it's "movable". I'll gladly come back and change my vote to Koskinen once 1. Lucic gets moved, and 2. Koskinen's glove hand costs the team a playoff series.

Koskinen let’s a lot more in than softies over the glove side and I’ve stated as such. The flaws in his game are many. At 30 he’s not fixing many of them.

Lucic is 1 of 13/14 forwards. Koskinen is locked in as one of 2 goalies. Huge difference and it’s the most important position in the game despite your understating goaltending as a defensive issue.

You can move other money to press Lucic down the lineup or into the press box. Not so fast with Koskinen.

In any case we have to agree both are brutal deals.

I simply feel that the most important position in the game requires at worst a short term low money bet if you don’t have a proven netminder and Koskinen was and is far from proven.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Koskinen let’s a lot more in than softies over the glove side and I’ve stated as such. The flaws in his game are many. At 30 he’s not fixing many of them.

Lucic is 1 of 13/14 forwards. Koskinen is locked in as one of 2 goalies. Huge difference and it’s the most important position in the game despite your understating goaltending as a defensive issue.

You can move other money to press Lucic down the lineup or into the press box. Not so fast with Koskinen.

In any case we have to agree both are brutal deals.

I simply feel that the most important position in the game requires at worst a short term low money bet if you don’t have a proven netminder and Koskinen was and is far from proven.

How good of a goalie do you think you're gonna get on the open market in the 4 range though?

That's not a lot of money on the modern cap, a guy like Bobrovsky probably starts at 8+.

4 mill for a goalie that has a winning record on this team and has had a save percentage in the .910 range most of the way is about right. Now I agree his track record is limited so it's hard to project what could happen a year from now.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How good of a goalie do you think you're gonna get on the open market in the 4 range though?

That's not a lot of money on the modern cap, a guy like Bobrovsky probably starts at 8+.

4 mill for a goalie that has a winning record on this team and has had a save percentage in the .910 range most of the way is about right. Now I agree his track record is limited so it's hard to project what could happen a year from now.

For that kind of money your not getting an A level goalie for sure. However for less you could sign Mrazek whose had a nice bounce back year in Carolina and Mclhenney as well. Lehner you could get and Kinkaid won’t cost an arm or leg.

In each case except maybe Lehner you are getting a goaltender no worse than Koskinen for less money and probably less term. Lehner I’ve heard will probably be in the 5X5 range this summer. Not sure I buy that however.

End of the day goaltending has to be home grown and we have many prospects in net (finally!) that need to be ready once Koskinens deal is done.

I watch how he plays and I’ve no confidence in his game. And today Spec said Koskinen doesn’t have the confidence of his team. That is not good.

I do hope he manages somehow to move the needle forward next year as he’s all we’ve got to rely on going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad