Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The fact we have this poll shows what a monster amount of work a new GM has in front of him.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At face value it’s Lucic. I said in the PGT Koskos could be worse if this is Koskinens game. The Lucic deal can be moved in the summer of next year or even this year given the alignment of the stars and some creative book keeping among three teams.

It is absolutely impossible to move a bad goalie contract because there are only 2 per team (except Philly who have 8). Look at Carolina and Scott Darling.

So Koskinens deal may rocket to the top of this poll in a few months and that’s why I voted Koskinen, as it is far more unmoveable than Lucic’ deal.

Are you talking about a situation involving a "cap floor" with another team because I just can't see how any GM who wants to keep his job would take on 24 million dollars of contract obligations for a guy who should probably be in the press box. I guess we can hope that Chia gets another job as an NHL GM and then give him a call.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Watching Lucic run around the ice vs Vegas as if he's only got 1 leg was pretty depressing. I can't imagine how slow he'd be if he was actually playing through a lower body injury.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Are you talking about a situation involving a "cap floor" with another team because I just can't see how any GM who wants to keep his job would take on 24 million dollars of contract obligations for a guy who should probably be in the press box. I guess we can hope that Chia gets another job as an NHL GM and then give him a call.

Summer of 2020 - July 1st - he is owed $10 mil with an $18 mil cap hit. Budget teams may take that on especially if we eat a portion. Involve 2 teams and a final team may get him for pennies on the dollar but counting those dollars towards the cap.

I wrote various detailed scenarios out in a thread a while back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's Lucic.

Koskinen, if his play caters we can just play him as our backup. Euros have in the past been willing to mutually terminate contracts and go back overseas too, worst case. That and I've seen overpaid mediocre goalies get moved to rebuilding teams without too much issue. Lucic seems like he would be very picky on where he would go and his cap hit being that high is just ....awful

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lucic is by far the worst. Not only is it a horrible contract in terms of value and length but the GM essentially had to pawn off our only other line driver at the time just to make room. And then the subsequent fallout from that contract hurting our cap coupled with pending McDrai contracts further causing our team to be dismantled.

Koskinen is bad because of how questionable he will be going forward but he got us points like what @harpoon said.

Lucic has done f*** all but drag whatever line he's on AND hurt cap.

Also, as much as I bitch about Larsson [and I still would have no problem with him gone], I don't think his contract is that bad since he's essentially paid 4ish M and trying to pretend to be a top pairing D. If he's playing 3-4, where he should be, he's basically paid what he deserves.

Reactions: harpoon and Aerrol

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Talking about Koskinen's play both previously and future expectations are pretty irrelevant far as im concerned.

He could get pulled in 10 straight games to start next season and then never play for the Oilers again and it would still be a significantly better contract than Milan Lucic.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its Lucic. Theres no doubt. I agree with Brian Burke in that this team needs to move out cap space. He mentioned packaging JP to move out Russell or Sekeras contract which I think is absurd. But I do think that they need to look at every possibility to get rid of Lucic. I still think they could move Russell without much difficulty. Sekera might be possible. I dunno if we should move him though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Talking about Koskinen's play both previously and future expectations are pretty irrelevant far as im concerned.

He could get pulled in 10 straight games to start next season and then never play for the Oilers again and it would still be a significantly better contract than Milan Lucic.
You're right in that Lucic's contract will be worse, but Lucic plays a far less important position than Koskinen. The Oilers gambled on him big time and if he doesn't live up to his contract... There's nobody else. You might as well write the next three years off.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
You're right in that Lucic's contract will be worse, but Lucic plays a far less important position than Koskinen. The Oilers gambled on him big time and if he doesn't live up to his contract... There's nobody else. You might as well write the next three years off.

Nothing I disagree with here.

Not the question the thread was asking, though.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Wow people react weirdly on this site. Kostco is still above 500 on this crappy team. He is an average or just below average starting goaltender, he has great nights and bad nights.

Lucic is literally 6 million in cap space for a player that might be good enough for the 4th line.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Basically getting out of Lucic’s cap hit would free up enough money to upgrade this team in a significant way. Lucic’s contract is the worst.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Basically getting out of Lucic’s cap hit would free up enough money to upgrade this team in a significant way. Lucic’s contract is the worst.

It'll probably take a package with JP but I'm down with that. Hell, I've been suggesting it since JP's 2nd season that it'll probably take that to get rid of Lucic anyway

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I don't see any purpose to this thread other than as a platform for bashing Lucic. If he was only getting paid $1.5M, we'd all be stoked to have him.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't see any purpose to this thread other than as a platform for bashing Lucic. If he was only getting paid $1.5M, we'd all be stoked to have him.

Unfortunately he's paid 4x that and does more harm than good on the ice. Didn't we start losing again the moment he came back from his "injury"? I mean during this late 'surge'...if you want to call it that lol

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sometimes the self-pity and passive-aggressive acting out gets to be a bit much around here.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Unfortunately he's paid 4x that and does more harm than good on the ice. Didn't we start losing again the moment he came back from his "injury"? I mean during this late 'surge'...if you want to call it that lol
Agreed with it being unfortunate he's paid more. I think we did win both games he was out but we've been winning a lot of games with him in the lineup too the last few weeks. Personally I think he is an effective player in the bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad