Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

North

Jun 25, 2009
It'll probably take a package with JP but I'm down with that. Hell, I've been suggesting it since JP's 2nd season that it'll probably take that to get rid of Lucic anyway

At this point, as much as I’ve defended Pulju and still believe there is a player there, I would too. The money could be used on a winger more effective than either of those two have been for us.

Reactions: frag2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I agree; however, he appears to be among the current top-2 of the Whipping Boys of HFOil list.

As for the obvious choice, someone has to approach Lucic off the record about him going on the LTIR.

Unfortunately for me, the two current whipping boys seem to be two of my favourite Oilers. :help: :laugh:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It has to be Lucic, 100% without question. We have someone on the team in a similar role who is arguably overpaid making a third of what he does (Kassian).

Larsson has been awful relative to his abilities since his back has acted up and his father's death (RIP). I still think be bounces back next year to be a serviceable top 4 D.

Koskinen has had some awful games and given up some weak goals but I think there are many reasons for this. 1) The team D in front of him (forwards and D) 2) some positioning quirks (coachable) 3) Fatigue / overplayed, etc. He has legit stolen some games and posted shutouts. He's at worst an average starter to slightly below and maybe 1 t o 1.5 overpaid as a 1A. He's pretty much on the Talbot contract accounting for cap inflation.

Russell is overpaid and definitely up there but his performance is pretty consistent and is roughly a 4-6D (better off as bottom pair of course). Redundant play style if the team is moving the puck more effectively and playing better positionally.

Sekera (other?) has been mostly good since his return, hopefully the points will come as well next year or he's tradeable. IMO he's the 2nd best D on the team when playing well.

Manning is definitely overpaid and an awful contract, mostly because it's a nail in a coffin when the flexibility could have led to an upgrade at the TDL instead (not that they should have been buying). Ride it out for the next year, see if you can loan him to another team's AHL or something...

Reactions: harpoon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I want to argue at length about multiple choices option not being utilized for this poll. ;) What is with this repression of uber information? Why does only Lucic get to die foisted on a petard?

I want Pistachios.

I want Punk reborn the right way

I want lamp.

I want freedom to express all possible choices here, I want....

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately for me, the two current whipping boys seem to be two of my favourite Oilers. :help: :laugh:

heh, imagine my astonishment when these 2 players that were most critiqued and villified were Draisaitl and Nurse. "With no damn way that Draisaitl will ever be worth this contract" according to a plurality on this board.

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
While obviously not the worst I think McDavid should be on the list.

As great as he very obviously is that contract is not good.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I want to argue at length about multiple choices option not being utilized for this poll. ;) What is with this repression of uber information? Why does only Lucic get to die foisted on a petard?

I want Pistachios.

I want Punk reborn the right way

I want lamp.

I want freedom to express all possible choices here, I want....

I want macadamia nuts but I can't find them anywhere :(

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Look at Matthews contract. If that represents the new normal for star players coming off their entry deal (a viewpoint the Toronto media has pushed hard), then McDavid's contract remains a good deal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Koskinen has actually won some games for us. Lucic is signed for more and longer than koskinen and brings pretty much nothing to the table anymore. It's probably actually a negative to the group that he's looked at as a leader. Nothing is sadder than a leader that can't lead at all on the ice. Slow giveaway machine that is never held accountable by coaches.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At face value it’s Lucic. I said in the PGT Koskos could be worse if this is Koskinens game. The Lucic deal can be moved in the summer of next year or even this year given the alignment of the stars and some creative book keeping among three teams.

It is absolutely impossible to move a bad goalie contract because there are only 2 per team (except Philly who have 8). Look at Carolina and Scott Darling.

So Koskinens deal may rocket to the top of this poll in a few months and that’s why I voted Koskinen, as it is far more unmoveable than Lucic’ deal.
I actually agree with this. Right now Lucic is definitely the worst and probably will be going forward. But goalies are very dangerous for exactly the reason you point out. Lucic at his current level is a serviceable 3/4 liner who brings some intangibles. And at least on the 4th line he is not going to be I to really damage the team. A bad goalie can be such a killer when he plays that the only option is to eat the whole deal. And you can't move him if other teams won't be willing to risk playing the guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

EE3531D0C2F01AE82725D2CF284497BDF9D86024

Every GM in the league would tap dance naked at center ice to have Connor McDavid at 12.5 million for 8 years starting at age 21. Every team would move whatever salary it took to have the privilege of having a player that good on their team.

It's the same percentage of the cap Crosby signed his first ELC for, except the Oilers got 3 extra UFA years from McDavid (8 years vs. 5). And McDavid generates more of the Oilers offence (north of 50%) than Crosby ever has for the Penguins.

If the Oilers were gifted by fluke a guaranteed McDavid tier player at age 21 (so basically 21-year-old Crosby or Malkin) and the price was 12.5 million right now, you would be a DAMN MORON not to move heaven and earth to add that player.

1st 2020 + Puljujarvi to dump Lucic, 1st 2021 + Russell as dump ... for a prime Crosby or Malkin @ 12.5 per ... lol, you're laughing to the bank.

You are a DAMN MORON if you would say no to that.

Last edited:

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Obviously a joke about McDavid lol hell, people who were bitching about Drai's contract finally seem to have stfu too. Let's stick to the topic here, Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad