Worst Contract On The Team?

Who has the worst contract on the team?

• Total voters

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lucic then Manning

Russell, Kosko and RNH are about the same. When they're bad they're not worth their contract, when they're on their game they're just worth their contract. You will never see a day where their play exceeded their payday

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just a quick comparison

Milan Lucic's last 10 games: 0 goals, 2 assists

Mikko Koskinen: 6-3-1, .915+ save percentage

Small
Sample
Size

And a Frying Pan for a glove hand. Or a pancake skillet. Take your pick.

Projected out Koskinens could be far worse.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
heh, imagine my astonishment when these 2 players that were most critiqued and villified were Draisaitl and Nurse. "With no damn way that Draisaitl will ever be worth this contract" according to a plurality on this board.

Yeah, I get that. I'll have to admit I was pretty hard on Drai early in the season, so I'll eat crow on that, he's been awesome. Nurse I'm still not completely sure about, but he is at worst an average 2nd pairing guy imo. But yeah this board seems to change its whipping boys fairly frequently lmao.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not even a question. It's Lucic by far. Koskinen's contract is questionable but his numbers are good this year, I'll wait until during next season to really judge it. The rest of the contracts are fair or just slight over pays.

Reactions: frag2 and ujju2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You've never seen Nuge exceed his 6 million cap hit? That's just bs.
I've seen him exceeded his ELC but never at 6M when the salary cap was below 70M till now. When I think he might exceeded his payday, he reverts back to Vanilla Nuge. Some days he plays like he's worth 2M, sometimes he's worth 6M. Never do I say to myself, oh my, he might be worth 8M

Reactions: harpoon and frag2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I've seen him exceeded his ELC but never at 6M when the salary cap was below 70M till now. When I think he might exceeded his payday, he reverts back to Vanilla Nuge. Some days he plays like he's worth 2M, sometimes he's worth 6M. Never do I say to myself, oh my, he might be worth 8M

Pretty sure a 65 point 2C playing with our shit second line wingers is worth at least 6 million in 2019...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Pretty sure a 65 point 2C playing with our **** second line wingers is worth at least 6 million in 2019...
Pretty sure 45 of those points came from playing on McDavid's wing and on the PP. So that makes it 20 points playing with ****wings?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, I get that. I'll have to admit I was pretty hard on Drai early in the season, so I'll eat crow on that, he's been awesome. Nurse I'm still not completely sure about, but he is at worst an average 2nd pairing guy imo. But yeah this board seems to change its whipping boys fairly frequently lmao.

We'll find out if Nurse is the worst after next season lol. IIRC, he's due for an extension assuming we keep him. Seems to pick up points but is horrid in his own zone. Actually kind of reminds me of Ristolainen out of Buffalo

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We'll find out if Nurse is the worst after next season lol. IIRC, he's due for an extension assuming we keep him. Seems to pick up points but is horrid in his own zone. Actually kind of reminds me of Ristolainen out of Buffalo

Here's the thing about Nurse as far as I can tell: he's not horrid across the board defensively. He excels in some parts of his defensive game (primarily wherever he can use his size, physicality, and reach, such as along the boards) but seems to have low spatial awareness in other defensive situations (such as defending the front of the net when the puck-carrier is behind it). So I do think that with proper consistent coaching he could greatly improve.

Reactions: frag2

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse is a Norris caliber D defensively compared to risto

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pretty sure 45 of those points came from playing on McDavid's wing and on the PP. So that makes it 20 points playing with ****wings?

I don't actually know the split of his points with/without McDavid (and am too lazy to check), but as far as PP points go, it seems to me that Nuge has been essential to the way our PP has operated this season, so he does deserve that credit on most of those PP points.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Here's the thing about Nurse as far as I can tell: he's not horrid across the board defensively. He excels in some parts of his defensive game (primarily wherever he can use his size, physicality, and reach, such as along the boards) but seems to have low spatial awareness in other defensive situations (such as defending the front of the net when the puck-carrier is behind it). So I do think that with proper consistent coaching he could greatly improve.

Both are picking up points but known around parts as poor defensively.

If RR is 5.4M, shivers to think what Nurse would be

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Both are picking up points but known around parts as poor defensively.

If RR is 5.4M, shivers to think what Nurse would be

This is a fair point, especially on a team which for now is far stronger at LD than RD. We'll see. I do think Nurse will continue to improve.

space321

May 11, 2011
Small
Sample
Size

And a Frying Pan for a glove hand. Or a pancake skillet. Take your pick.

Projected out Koskinens could be far worse.

Uhm can you show me how you're projecting this? I can't see any scenario where Koskinen's contract will be worse than Lucic's.

It's not unreasonable believe next year Koskinen will have a good year and people will be like "omg Koskinen's contract is a steal". I can't see Lucic bouncing back at ALL.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Uhm can you show me how you're projecting this? I can't see any scenario where Koskinen's contract will be worse than Lucic's.

It's not unreasonable believe next year Koskinen will have a good year and people will be like "omg Koskinen's contract is a steal". I can't see Lucic bouncing back at ALL.

Then You haven’t then read my earlier posts in the thread.

At face value it’s Lucic. I said in the PGT Koskos could be worse if this is Koskinens game. The Lucic deal can be moved in the summer of next year or even this year given the alignment of the stars and some creative book keeping among three teams.

It is absolutely impossible to move a bad goalie contract because there are only 2 per team (except Philly who have 8). Look at Carolina and Scott Darling.

So Koskinens deal may rocket to the top of this poll in a few months and that’s why I voted Koskinen, as it is far more unmoveable than Lucic’ deal.

————
Edit -
When asked how Lucic deal could be moved;
Summer of 2020 - July 1st - he is owed $10 mil with an $18 mil cap hit. Budget teams may take that on especially if we eat a portion. Involve 2 teams and a final team may get him for pennies on the dollar but counting those dollars towards the cap.

I wrote various detailed scenarios out in a thread a while back.

————

Bottom line Lucic deal can be moved.
Don’t count on Koskos deal ever being movable if he turns out to be terrible.

I hate his contract and how unnecessary it was, because we don’t really know what we have here.​

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Koskinen was a significant over pay, but atleast it was short term and he still adds some value. Lucic adds no value at all when he plays, has several years left in his deal and is buyout proof.

It’s comical.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Then You haven’t then read my earlier posts in the thread.

At face value it’s Lucic. I said in the PGT Koskos could be worse if this is Koskinens game. The Lucic deal can be moved in the summer of next year or even this year given the alignment of the stars and some creative book keeping among three teams.

It is absolutely impossible to move a bad goalie contract because there are only 2 per team (except Philly who have 8). Look at Carolina and Scott Darling.

So Koskinens deal may rocket to the top of this poll in a few months and that’s why I voted Koskinen, as it is far more unmoveable than Lucic’ deal.

————
Edit -
When asked how Lucic deal could be moved;
Summer of 2020 - July 1st - he is owed $10 mil with an $18 mil cap hit. Budget teams may take that on especially if we eat a portion. Involve 2 teams and a final team may get him for pennies on the dollar but counting those dollars towards the cap.

————

Bottom line Lucic deal can be moved.
Don’t count on Koskos deal ever being movable if he turns out to be terrible.

I hate his contract and how unnecessary it was, because we don’t really know what we have here.​

I’m not sure how Lucic’s contract is movable.

Reactions: space321

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’m not sure how Lucic’s contract is movable.

For example one scenario is this: Summer of 2020 after July 1 when his SB is paid - Move him to Ottawa with a very high pick and eat 2 mil. Ottawa moves him to LA for a mid round pick and they eat 2 mil. LA gets a 3/4th winger for 2 mil who counts 6 vs the cap and gets paid 4.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

For example one scenario is this: Summer of 2020 after July 1 when his SB is paid - Move him to Ottawa with a very high pick and eat 2 mil. Ottawa moves him to LA for a mid round pick and they eat 2 mil. LA gets a 3/4th winger for 2 mil who counts 6 vs the cap and gets paid 4.

IMO it's possible but we'd need to get creative and quite frankly outside of Vanek's and then Penner's offer sheets, have we ever had a management team that thinks outside the box?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMO it's possible but we'd need to get creative and quite frankly outside of Vanek's and then Penner's offer sheets, have we ever had a management team that thinks outside the box?

True. We usually get crushed in simple deals. This is quantum physics to the Oilers.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Kevin Lowe . No one has a trump card for that . Game over I won .

Cloned what do I win .

It better not be the 10.00 hooker looking for 100.00 . I am too old for that kind of excitement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->