Post-Game Talk: World ending confirmed (Leafs win in Carolina 2-1 SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Looking at November's record, I'm actually afraid we'll make the playoffs now... but not be good enough yet to win the cup. And without tanking hard, we may not ever be good enough to win the cup.

Reading some of you posters is hilarious. What more do you want this team to do to ensure they tank? Let in the goals deliberately? Shoot wide on purpose? Ice a team full of Lebda's and Berg's? You really want a team that doesn't try? Sure, most won't be here when Nylander, Brown, and Marner arrive, but what would you have them arrive to? A team so pathetic not even the best coach in the league could coax them into a .500 record? Relax and enjoy the ride. Wherever we finish, we deserve to finish. Management hasn't traded future assets for average veterans in order to win now. The plan is still going on as it should. Thank goodness some of you aren't running this team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JVR - Kadri - Komorov
Lupul - Nylander - Leivo
Matthias - Bozak - Holland
Winnik - Spaling - Panik

:)

Don't see why we would not see some of those guys would be around unless we can't get anything good for them. Especially Matthias and Spaling. If they want to be here, and we want them to be here, we can just pull a Winnik; trade them and let them compete for a cup before resigning them on July 1st.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I'm worried well actually finish 9th this year. In the past we had epic collapses at the end of each season to give us high picks (Rielly, Nylander, Marner) but now well just coast to 9th and get like a 14th overall pick

****in Babcock is too good man.. Got a bunch of plugs winning

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
It's been about 20 games, it is time to send down Boyes and Grabner. They are great to have if you want to tank, but we are fighting for a playoff spot and they are HUGE dead weight.

Bring up Panik and Leivo. I know it is tempting to bring up Nylander but he should stay down.

Tbh some people think Boyes and Grabner are here instead of Nylander because they are just better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ya how many cups have Edmonton or Florida won since they rebuilt via the tank method?

There is no absolute way to rebuild, other than smart drafting and good coaching (which we have in spades)

Edmonton has the talent now, they just need to do the chemistry.

Leafs have to gather the talent and do the chemistry.

Hall 1st. overall in 2010, he is now 24 years old.

Burke started the Leafs rebuild with Kessl in 2009.

Mind you if you reset the clock when you change GMs/management the Leafs rebuild was started with Shanny in 2014, and Oilers was started with Chiarelli in 2015. :sarcasm:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
For every goal against, someone somewhere screwed up, whether is a forward, defenseman, or the goali himself. But goals are going to happen its inevitable, no one is going to get perfect shutouts every game. Thats not the mark of a good goalie.

Every goalie will have an average of 2-3 goals against, doesn't make them bad it makes them human. This goal was bad no doubt, but players are talented there are a lot of goals that you just won't stop.

The goal tonite was terrible at a bad time. That doesn't mean that I or most fans who think it was a bad goal hate Reimer. Far from it I had no confidence in Reimer for one reason, rebound control, it appears that he has worked at that and has mostly conquered it, very impressive. His play this year has been terrific except for the old bugaboo that he shares with Bernier, soft unexpected goals that deflate the team. I'll happily get on board boths bandwagon when one or the other stop letting in bad unnecessary goals.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I would also send down Froese and Parenteau. Spaling is fine on the 4th line.

Parenteau is on pace for 24 goals & has a TDL friendly contract. That's a waste of an asset & a potential very good draft pick through a trade. In addition, I doubt PAP would clear waivers right now. Froese would have to clear waivers again as well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The goal tonite was terrible at a bad time. That doesn't mean that I or most fans who think it was a bad goal hate Reimer. Far from it I had no confidence in Reimer for one reason, rebound control, it appears that he has worked at that and has mostly conquered it, very impressive. His play this year has been terrific except for the old bugaboo that he shares with Bernier, soft unexpected goals that deflate the team. I'll happily get on board boths bandwagon when one or the other stop letting in bad unnecessary goals.

that's my thing.

it's not wanting perfection
it's not wanting shutouts every game.
yes. you're going to let in a "bad goal"
but you shouldn't be letting goals that you should have stopped. (mostly caused by cheating, or not being ready, or being in bad possession). everyone gets one or two every so often - and Reimer/Bernier let them in way too often.

if those stopped. and it was just "ohoo that was baaad, but that's okay." goals that most starters let in, i'd honestly be happy with that effort.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Despite bad goal allowed today, Reimer is on a crazy tear right now: .971, .971, .956, .955, .945, .936 in his last 6 starts.

That is ridiculous.

He also has like 90% of the Leafs points this year.

Leafs have 18, of which Bernier is responsible for 1.

17/18=94.44...%

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Feels good to see all the tanksters crying their sad little faces off.

The team was/is clearly a lot better than their record showed.

Bernier just didn't come to play this season and it just took Reims a bit of time to get going.

Leafs are now 6-2-2 in their last 10, a .700 win %, which if they keep this up, will put them at 104 points, and that should be easily in a playoff spot.

The tanking part is done, we already have Rielly/Nylander/Kadri/Marner.

Time to start actually winning games and breeding a culture of winning and competing.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
that's my thing.

but you shouldn't be letting goals that you should have stopped. (mostly caused by cheating, or not being ready, or being in bad possession). everyone gets one or two every so often - and Reimer/Bernier let them in way too often.

if those stopped. and it was just "ohoo that was baaad, but that's okay." goals that most starters let in, i'd honestly be happy with that effort.

All goalies whiff or let in a bad one from time to time. Carey Price, in a year, doesn't give up as many bad ones as we have seen this year. Again Reimer has been great and I hope Bernier bounces back.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still don't buy anything from this team. Once the goaltending regresses a little, the Leafs will start losing games. They don't have the talent to score, they just don't. They need near perfect goaltending pretty much every night. I still think that the playoffs are pipe dream.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd be fine with 1 bad goal per game if that was the only goal allowed.

Tell me anyone who has a better than 1.00 GAA.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
His play this year has been terrific except for the old bugaboo that he shares with Bernier, soft unexpected goals that deflate the team.

The thing is, they aren't deflating the team at least with Reimer in net this season.

While the propensity of scoring from that zone of the ice seems to be an issue with Reimer, if your goaltender continues to save over .930 of the shots - you really don't have much to complain about.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
that's my thing.

I think it's funny when fans or ex goalies or whomever want to defend a goalie when he lets in a bad goal. In my books, dump ins from centre that go in or shots from behind the net that go in are bad goals. It would be a bad goal if you're a Pee Wee AAA goalie so it sure as hell should be a bad goal at the NHL level.

The frequency of our bad goals (to varying degrees of badness) just seem so much greater than other teams.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I think this team needs another top 5 pick but if that doesn't work out I'd like to see a Calgary situation where you gun for the playoffs while still being a seller. Luckily the Marlies are overstocked to the point that they wouldn't miss a couple guys like Soshnikov if they get called up to replace Parenteau/Boyes/Spaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia