Post-Game Talk: World ending confirmed (Leafs win in Carolina 2-1 SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I still don't buy anything from this team. Once the goaltending regresses a little, the Leafs will start losing games. They don't have the talent to score, they just don't. They need near perfect goaltending pretty much every night. I still think that the playoffs are pipe dream.

We're just mostly showing that with excellent goaltending and great coaching, even a team of scrubs can be competitive. Some people think that's what is wrong with the game.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Edmonton has the talent now, they just need to do the chemistry.

Leafs have to gather the talent and do the chemistry.

Hall 1st. overall in 2010, he is now 24 years old.

Burke started the Leafs rebuild with Kessl in 2009.

Mind you if you reset the clock when you change GMs/management the Leafs rebuild was started with Shanny in 2014, and Oilers was started with Chiarelli in 2015. :sarcasm:

Imagine if that idiot Burke didn't get greedy and accepted the Kaberle, 7oa for Kessel which was a complete rip off. Or if you know he had Schenn play a couple years in the minors. Hack other than a couple of trades Burke was completely useless. But no he has to act like an assclown during the draft and right there and then I knew we were in deep trouble

Nice to see you ULF, been a while

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Feels good to see all the tanksters crying their sad little faces off.

The team was/is clearly a lot better than their record showed.

Bernier just didn't come to play this season and it just took Reims a bit of time to get going.

Leafs are now 6-2-2 in their last 10, a .700 win %, which if they keep this up, will put them at 104 points, and that should be easily in a playoff spot.

The tanking part is done, we already have Rielly/Nylander/Kadri/Marner.

Time to start actually winning games and breeding a culture of winning and competing.

I can appreciate where you're coming from but the tank is definitely not done. This years team was set up to tank by design. They're playing above expectations right now and good on them but Reimer is on an unsustainable clip and as soon as he regresses back to his norm the .700 win % is not going to last. This team is not going to score enough to win games without stellar goal-tending.

White Water Kayker

Nov 28, 2014
Ok tell me why that wasn't a bad goal, and his teammates bailed him out.

I think in this instance, he did MORE THAN ENOUGH bailing out of the rest of the team. I can live with this one, and it wasn't a terrible goal, just wasn't brilliant either.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Feels good to see all the tanksters crying their sad little faces off.

The team was/is clearly a lot better than their record showed.

Bernier just didn't come to play this season and it just took Reims a bit of time to get going.

Leafs are now 6-2-2 in their last 10, a .700 win %, which if they keep this up, will put them at 104 points, and that should be easily in a playoff spot.

The tanking part is done, we already have Rielly/Nylander/Kadri/Marner.

Time to start actually winning games and breeding a culture of winning and competing.

Hard to know with tanking.
One year you are up, the next you are down.
Florida made it one year with scrubs, bottomed out the next.
Colorado up, Colorado down.
Calgary Flames as well.
One thing for certain, the rebuild is far from done. We need to add a lot more talent to the players you listed.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
GloriousSharpAgouti.gif

LMFAO this is awesome.

Also damnnnn the leafs keep rolling. LOVE IT BABY! Whatever the case is the leafs are't giving up and actually giving ****...it's soo...beautiful :cry:

RythmicOne

Feb 26, 2012
8 out of 10 players in this league are interchangeable. Plugs or not, it's evident that coaching the standouts AND the "plugs" (hate that term - they made the NHL ffs) is what is making a difference. Culture, consistency and discipline is what the Leafs have lacked and are learning now.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Rebuild will probably be accelerated with the wins or being closer to .500.

And it will for sure be over when Stamkos comes here.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I just saw the highlights and damn Phaneuf had two beauty hits. His more conservative play style is better for sure but I still like seeing those hits.

Liked the second one because he actually stayed on his feet... My only problem with phaneufs big hits are that he seems to skate into people relaxing his body and letting himself blow up upon impact. Half the time he seems to take the worst of the hits...Unlike a guy like Stevens who'd power through his target and keep skating afterwards.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I can not believe people are actually whining about Reimer letting in one goal, if he can save 33 of 34 shots I don't care if he leaves the net and takes a nap and they get just one goal. Bloody hell, how could anyone criticize Reimers play tonight.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I can not believe people are actually whining about Reimer letting in one goal, if he can save 33 of 34 shots I don't care if he leaves the net and takes a nap and they get just one goal. Bloody hell, how could anyone criticize Reimers play tonight.

The Bernier supporters need something to whine about .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

The quickness from butterfly to the stretch glove was incredible.

Loved the cockiness in how he tossed the puck... If he did that more often I think it would help people's perception of him.

Tossing the puck out like he did showed confidence, would love to see more of that from him.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Liked the second one because he actually stayed on his feet... My only problem with phaneufs big hits are that he seems to skate into people relaxing his body and letting himself blow up upon impact. Half the time he seems to take the worst of the hits...Unlike a guy like Stevens who'd power through his target and keep skating afterwards.

If Phaneuf drove through people like Stevens he'd be suspended on a regular basis. Phaneuf is such a good hitter in this day and age because he isn't "predatory". He tries to separate you from puck rather than destroy you. I loved Stevens' hits but the league has no tolerance for that anymore so I appreciate what I get from Phaneuf

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yep. It's night and day compared to the second half of last season. I love it. Watching the Leafs is enjoyable again.

Are you using the eye test for that or the stats test?

Coach|GF/Game|GA/Game|PPG/Game|PP OPP/Game|PPGA/Game|TS/Game|SHGF/Game|SHGA/Game|SF/Game|SA/Game| Save %
Babcock|2.3|2.7|0.7|3.1|0.7|3.4|0.1|0.2|29.7|31.3| 0.915
Horachek|1.9|3.2|0.4|3.3|0.7|3.1|0.0|0.2|29.3|32.7| 0.901

Seems like one coach is getting much better goaltending.

Interesting in that 5 of the 7 wins this season have come with the Leafs being outshot by a combined 45 shots. Seems like the difference between "night and day" is the rising sun that is the play of James Reimer.

Snap24

Apr 3, 2010
Toronto
Are you using the eye test for that or the stats test?

Coach|GF/Game|GA/Game|PPG/Game|PP OPP/Game|PPGA/Game|TS/Game|SHGF/Game|SHGA/Game|SF/Game|SA/Game| Save %
Babcock|2.3|2.7|0.7|3.1|0.7|3.4|0.1|0.2|29.7|31.3| 0.915
Horachek|1.9|3.2|0.4|3.3|0.7|3.1|0.0|0.2|29.3|32.7| 0.901

Seems like one coach is getting much better goaltending.

Interesting in that 5 of the 7 wins this season have come with the Leafs being outshot by a combined 45 shots. Seems like the difference between "night and day" is the rising sun that is the play of James Reimer.

It seems quite interesting to you. A combined sum looks rather large, when that's an average of 9 shots more per game, in those 5 wins you mention. Could that have anything to do with scoring effects? You know by leading, the other team will put on pressure, most teams have been throwing everything on net (including bad angles). Also maybe Babcock's system is allowing Reimer to make the easy save for the most part. The Leafs may get stuck in their zone occasionally, but the 5 man unit doesn't give anything easy, most looks are from the point then rebounds which lead to tired players that can result to something more dangerous. Reimer's rebound control has improved, so he's freezing pucks when things get too out of hand or not allowing a cycle to start.

To say the leafs are actually somewhat entertaining to watch this year is the system, goaltending and finally starting to score, albeit they have to work hard for it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You can look at it two ways. If the opponent stiffens up too you hurt yourself and him. Dion seems to stiffen up on impact and then loosens up right away to absorb the rest but not always if he has someone blind. Komarov is a stiff checker, keep in mind stiff checkers wear out the body pretty quickly.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

some expect perfection from the goaltenders, however they don't expect perfection from anyone else on the ice.

it was a poor goal, he's got to stay clamped on the post longer, however, 99 times out of 100 .. it's a pass, and the right move to anticipate the pass out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad