Post-Game Talk: World ending confirmed (Leafs win in Carolina 2-1 SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can not believe people are actually whining about Reimer letting in one goal, if he can save 33 of 34 shots I don't care if he leaves the net and takes a nap and they get just one goal. Bloody hell, how could anyone criticize Reimers play tonight.

as I am starting from the back - maybe there have been complainants.
but I think the "whinging over one goal." was the quality of the goal. no one (in the GDT anyway), complained about his play before or afterwards - just that it was a yucky goal.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It seems quite interesting to you. A combined sum looks rather large, when that's an average of 9 shots more per game, in those 5 wins you mention. Could that have anything to do with scoring effects?

Not likely. Last night for example was a 1-1 game for much of it. Went to OT.

To say the leafs are actually somewhat entertaining to watch this year is the system, goaltending and finally starting to score, albeit they have to work hard for it.

I find them a boring team to watch but I give high marks for effort. I like jam in my games and the Leafs are buttery soft.

My point in highlighting the "way they are winning" is to see if the "I told you so - Corsi crowd" is interested in proclaiming that the winning is not sustainable.

Very similar situation to Carlyle. W's are coming. Without goaltending, most would be L's. They are slipping up in the standings while their Corsi metrics are declining.

For example, about 3 weeks ago they were 3rd overall in % Shot Attempts Close on NHL.com's enhanced stats page. Today, they are 20th.

Where is the "Sky is falling crowd?" Do they only make predictions about the current season when the current season is over?

Maxwe11

Apr 23, 2015
Not likely. Last night for example was a 1-1 game for much of it. Went to OT.

I find them a boring team to watch but I give high marks for effort. I like jam in my games and the Leafs are buttery soft.

My point in highlighting the "way they are winning" is to see if the "I told you so - Corsi crowd" is interested in proclaiming that the winning is not sustainable.

Very similar situation to Carlyle. W's are coming. Without goaltending, most would be L's. They are slipping up in the standings while their Corsi metrics are declining.

For example, about 3 weeks ago they were 3rd overall in % Shot Attempts Close on NHL.com's enhanced stats page. Today, they are 20th.

Where is the "Sky is falling crowd?" Do they only make predictions about the current season when the current season is over?

I do agree with you that they have been slipping in terms of shot attempts; however, they are stellar in other metrics such as % scoring chances for, where they rank top 5 in the NHL. Oddly, the structure they're using is not improving defensive play as well as some may have imagined, but its had a great impact improving scoring chances for.

Also, the leafs have had one of the most difficult schedules so far. They're not only playing a ton of back-to-backs, but they're also playing strong teams in general. This should be accounted for.

So, I wouldn't start calling this "carlyle-like winning", because there are many structure differences. I would also advise people who look at corsi, to also look at scoring chances. You'll soon see the Leafs may be getting outshot, but they're producing more quality chances (scoring chances) than the other teams.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Props to this Carolina team for really taking it to the Leafs for 2 1/2 periods.

I really didn't think that Rask would become this good when I watched him with the Calgary Hitmen.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Looking at November's record, I'm actually afraid we'll make the playoffs now... but not be good enough yet to win the cup. And without tanking hard, we may not ever be good enough to win the cup.

Fun fact: There are good players drafted after the top 5. Hunter/Dubas and staff are great talent evaluators trust in them. I think people hoping for this huge tank have to get back to reality, we have the best coach in the game and he isn't going to let this team just flop down in the standings. Who would've thought that after 20 games with this group that we'd only be 3 points out of a playoff spot?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carolina was the better team for about 62 of the 65 minutes, but Leafs win and Corsi lied tonight.

Bad for them and good for us. :)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Didn't notice hanifin one bit last night

that's a good thing for him and the team. As a D-man more than likely if you're being noticed it's not very good. He's not going to light up the scoreboard or be flashy, he played a quiet solid game...and as a rookie that's all you can ask him to do at this point.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
yes it was a poor goal, however his teammates bailing him out of a 1-0 game? oh please.

hyperbole a little more why not?

To me it was a game where neither team played very well, Canes were slightly better. The Leafs were less than four minutes away from losing to a beatable opponent who had scored a soft goal. That they scored late and won in a shootout is bailing Reimers gaffe out( despite his overall good game)Not to mention their own subpar effort of course. If that's hyperbole so be it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
To me it was a game where neither team played very well, Canes were slightly better. The Leafs were less than four minutes away from losing to a beatable opponent who had scored a soft goal. That they scored late and won in a shootout is bailing Reimers gaffe out( despite his overall good game)Not to mention their own subpar effort of course. If that's hyperbole so be it.

I agree. Sure, we played a pretty bad game... but when we were down 1-0 with 4 minutes left and a PP... we got the goal. It would have been very easy for it to have been a 1-0 game and just chalk it up to another bad performance in Carolina... but Kadri came through when it counted.

Obviously Reimer deserves almost all the credit for those 2 points... but nevertheless... we didn't give up. In the second half of last season, we gave up. In fact, we would give up after letting in a goal 3 minutes into the first. We often gave up before we even started playing. As bad as we played, we didn't give up. And this season, we haven't been giving up. I remember early on I think we came back 3-0 vs. Ottawa.

What would have been really bad is if Reimer gave that kind of effort and we end up losing. Ultimately, we came through in the end to some degree. They gave Reimer just enough for him to steal the win. If we gave any less, it would have been a loss... but we gave just enough. On other nights, Reimer might let in three goals, but on those nights, it's up to the team to score 4.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 2-1 shootout win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
From War on ice.com,, yes, we were out-possessed 5v5 ES, but, and I don't know how they keep track of the scoring chances and the high danger scoring chances, as in, I don't know who records these and how subjective they are (sometimes these stats are biased in favor of the home team), ANYWAYS,

5v5 ES scoring chances:
Leafs - 18
Canes -16
5v5 ES high danger scoring chances:
Leafs - 9
Canes -6

This goes a little bit towards the issue that was being shown between periods by Friedman with respect to where the Canes were shooting from.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The shot differential is misleading. We actually had more scoring chances (18-16), and more high danger scoring chances (9-6):

qZhroQv.png

They sure made some terrible passes though, blech.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
From War on ice.com,, yes, we were out-possessed 5v5 ES, but, and I don't know how they keep track of the scoring chances and the high danger scoring chances, as in, I don't know who records these and how subjective they are (sometimes these stats are biased in favor of the home team), ANYWAYS,

5v5 ES scoring chances:
Leafs - 18
Canes - 16
5v5 ES high danger scoring chances:
Leafs - 9
Canes - 6

This goes a little bit towards the issue that was being shown between periods by Friedman with respect to where the Canes were shooting from.

Scoring Chances and High Danger Scoring Chances are based on where the shot was on the ice, whether it was a rebound, or off the rush.

It's mathematical, not subjective.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kadri getting the monkey off his back with his 2nd goal is a relief for no other reason than not having to hear the running commentary from the announcers of how many shots between goals it is after each and every shot on net.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
I'm all for people having their opinions but is it not possible that majority of Leaf fans can just sit back and enjoy what's happening? haha we didn't expect this but oh well

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I still don't buy anything from this team. Once the goaltending regresses a little, the Leafs will start losing games. They don't have the talent to score, they just don't. They need near perfect goaltending pretty much every night. I still think that the playoffs are pipe dream.

Begs a question: Do you (or anyone else) think this team is all Reimer? (a la all Price)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Do you really want to burn a year off Nylander's ELC to ice that lineup?

he is already burning off the first year, just because he has a 2 way and he's playing in the A does not give the Leafs any grace

IMO they'll keep him on the farm and let him lead the team through the Calder playoffs, he and Marner together once the Knight's season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad