Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The false narrative Argentina supporters ITT are trying to create about how only South Americans are criticized with regards to such behaviour (no doubt because of racism or bigotry or some bullshit like that) while all European sides are viewed as angels is such a crock of shit it doesn't even dignify a response.
100%. Love how it’s always the oblique “implication” too. Like they don’t want to actually make the accusation because they know how vacuous the claim is.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The false narrative Argentina supporters ITT are trying to create about how only South Americans are criticized with regards to such behaviour (no doubt because of racism or bigotry or some bullshit like that) while all European sides are viewed as angels is such a crock of shit it doesn't even dignify a response.
Yeah I agree. Both sides full of overgrown manchildren. I do think though that the Dutch coaches are supposed to be old enough to know better and they didn’t act like they knew better.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Noppert couldn’t read the foot of the penalty takers at all. He wasn’t focused on the feet of the shooters and just their bodies.

It was a great game up to that point.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It's crazy to come away from a game and think that both teams are full of idiots and the referee is also a moron, but here we are.
Still the most entertaining game at this WC. And your conclusion, while mostly true is unfair to the amazing game both Messi and Weghorst played.

Noppert couldn’t read the foot of the penalty takers at all. He wasn’t focused on the feet of the shooters and just their bodies.

He's a 28yo with all of 32 first division games under his belt. Blame who put him there. That's like someone like Karl Darlow starting in the WC for England.

He wasn't the reason they lost though, but I'd have gone with Flekken.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's crazy to come away from a game and think that both teams are full of idiots and the referee is also a moron, but here we are.
I feel like in a match between Holland and Argentina that's really not that crazy. I don't wanna say it's the obvious outcome, but it also doesn't defy belief. Both teams are well-known for their shithousing tendencies. But here's the thing about the Dutch - in Europe they traditionally stand out as being a bad-tempered, petulant side but in the Copa Libertadores they'd be just a regular team.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Still the most entertaining game at this WC. And your conclusion, while mostly true is unfair to the amazing game both Messi and Weghorst played.

He's a 28yo with all of 32 first division games under his belt. Blame who put him there. That's like someone like Karl Darlow starting in the WC for England.
You learn that skill as a child.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
As a Dutch fan, Argentina deserved to win the game. This was not a good Dutch side. The fact that they scored their first goal on their 2nd shot at goal proves this.

The tying goal was pretty awesome. The balls to pull that out at that time was amazing. And as much as the PK's hurt, that really felt more that Argentina won rather than the Dutch lost. The 2 saves Emi made were very good, and not because the Dutch bottled it IMO.

From what I saw (was only able to start watching at around the 60th minute), the ref was quite bad, but for both teams. I'm sure you could point to various bad decisions on both sides. I thought in Extra time, Argentina were going down when anyone got close to them, but I'm positive the Dutch would have as well, if they actually tried to do anything with the ball in ET.

The Argentina players pulling stuff like taunting after the final PK is because the game was pretty intense/dirty on both sides. I have no real problem with that. Likely would have happened the other way if the result was different.

And hey, at least we were not a embarrassing as the Germans, so there is that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I feel like in a match between Holland and Argentina that's really not that crazy. I don't wanna say it's the obvious outcome, but it also doesn't defy belief. Both teams are well-known for their shithousing tendencies. But here's the thing about the Dutch - in Europe they traditionally stand out as being a bad-tempered, petulant side but in the Copa Libertadores they'd be just a regular team.
“I have no idea what you’re talking about” jeez at least attempt to hide it

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
“I have no idea what you’re talking about” jeez at least attempt to hide it
Well I didnt because I hadnt watched the match. There's a reason my comment on the PKs was pretty much the 1st one in the thread. I have now seen some images, and to be honest, like 99% of the venom I've seen in the photos came from the Argentinians, but I'll take people's word for it that the Dutch were dirty as well. They are Dutch after all.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well I didnt because I hadnt watched the match. There's a reason my comment on the PKs was pretty much the 1st one in the thread. I have now seen some images, and to be honest, like 99% of the venom I've seen in the photos came from the Argentinians, but I'll take people's word for it that the Dutch were dirty as well. They are Dutch after all.
And yet your on record saying that Europeans never ever resort to these things. now its the Dutch after all. The less you know.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It wasn’t nearly as even as the partisans here would like to believe.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And yet your on record saying that Europeans never ever resort to these things. now its the Dutch after all. The less you know.
Well I dont want to warm up the conversation again, but we specifically were talking about the end of the match. What did the Dutch do after the match? The only things Ive seen from after the match are (1) Argentinians mocking the defeated Dutch (2) the Argentinian keeper verbally abusing some Dutch guy. (3) Messi verbally abusing someone during his post-match interview (not sure who it was, may have been the ref).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lol the way you say that the goalkeeper was so bad everyone can jump in there and do it. Yeah sure thing buddy.

Also the goalkeeper is too tall to easily save penalties, thats the actual issue.
Handanovic, which IMO is the best penalty stopper in history is 1.93m.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well I dont want to warm up the conversation again, but we specifically were talking about the end of the match. What did the Dutch do after the match? The only things Ive seen from after the match are (1) Argentinians mocking the defeated Dutch (2) the Argentinian keeper verbally abusing some Dutch guy. (3) Messi verbally abusing someone during his post-match interview (not sure who it was, may have been the ref).
Messi was having his post match and tells Weghorst who are you looking at and tells him to get lost. Im sure he did nothing to provoke that comment. You seem to be caught in two minds here. Is it that Euros dont do this sort of thing or is it a dutch doing a dutch thing. You cant have it both ways pick a lane.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Hot take. Argentina were by far the better team and deserved to win the match. Netherlands with two goals on the only 2 shots they had in regulation time. Shouldn't even have gone to extra time and ARgentina were all over Dutch in extra time as well.

So in short Argentina were better in first half, better in second half, better in extra time, and better in Penalty Kicks. Argentina win.

I meant saving their ass by saving the first 2 shots in the penalties. Saving them from an embarrassing choke like what Brazil did a few hours prior.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I meant saving their ass by saving the first 2 shots in the penalties. Saving them from an embarrassing choke like what Brazil did a few hours prior.
Thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to fill in the details for anybody not watching. In the end Argentina got the deserved result and thats what matters. Better for the tournament as well.

Must be a glorious day for Argentinian fans. Argentina W, Brazil lose. Same day.

Reactions: J T Money

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Messi was having his post match and tells Weghorst who are you looking at and tells him to get lost. Im sure he did nothing to provoke that comment. You seem to be caught in two minds here. Is it that Euros dont do this sort of thing or is it a dutch doing a dutch thing. You cant have it both ways pick a lane.
I never said that Europeans don't ever do anything. I said there's a notable difference in degree, and even with the Dutch doing dirty shit once in a while, that's still pretty apparent. It's simply obvious to anyone who's watched South American football that things go bananas much more frequently than in Europe where you literally had to drag up an example from over a decade ago.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Noppert was the only reason it got to penalty kicks or extra time. So there is that. Seems an odd specific criticism to have to blame him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Most of the stuff happened before and during the match. Van Gaal and Davids were also yelling from the bench at Messi at one point. But it’s not like anyones going to come out and say yeah I was talking shit about them and that’s why they reacted. Every foul was reacted to badly by all involved.

I thought it was funny from the players end anyway. From the coaches end I didn’t think it was at all. Coaches shouldn’t be yelling at other teams players. You want to have a go at someone go at the other team’s coach but I also think being a coach their age requires some level of maturity that I’ve never thought was present in van Gaal. The two areas should remain separate.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Agreed. What an entertaining game and day of football though. Magical.

Surprised this game finished 11v11 both teams deserved a couple reds

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for clarifying. I just wanted to fill in the details for anybody not watching. In the end Argentina got the deserved result and thats what matters. Better for the tournament as well.

Must be a glorious day for Argentinian fans. Argentina W, Brazil lose. Same day.

It’s all good. I was amazed that the Dutch tied it up and took it to penalties. Never should have gotten there.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Whatever Messi said to Weghorst, he should have added "Son" at the end of it.

He should have Son'd Weghorst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad