• Argentina

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The refereeing was poor.

But I don't think Argentina made the best move being so critical of it publicly.

Because what if that joker ends up refereeing another one of their games this World Cup?

He might call them for silly things out of spite.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The refereeing was poor.

But I don't think Argentina made the best move being so critical of it publicly.

Because what if that joker ends up refereeing another one of their games this World Cup?

There’s literally no way that happens. These organizations make absolutely sure not to do that. The ref will be sent home.

Reactions: gary69

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The refereeing was poor.

By criticizing him like that they actually ensure he won’t ref another one of their games, at least for a long while.

Even if he was penciled in the ref the final or something and they made it, they’d shift to someone else because it would look awful and any time he made a call it would lead to everyone questioning it.

If it’s in favor of them, he is just going easy because they complained!
If it’s against them, he is just taking it out on them because they complained!

Reactions: Tryamw

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
And now before someone makes this point in a much worse way, let’s tie it all back together by pointing out that most of the players for those two countries have Italian ancestry.
As someone with approx. 75% Italian ancestry I don't know whether I should be offended, agree with you or keep gesturing at my dog and expecting her to hear me.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
By criticizing him like that they actually ensure he won’t ref another one of their games, at least for a long while.

Even if he was penciled in the ref the final or something and they made it, they’d shift to someone else because it would look awful and any time he made a call it would lead to everyone questioning it.

If it’s in favor of them, he is just going easy because they complained!
If it’s against them, he is just taking it out on them because they complained!

A team should also never, ever stay quiet when they have a bad ref, even if the ref is in their favor. You can't trust a bad ref to be in your favor next time.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
While watching the game unfold, I have to admit I wasn’t fond of the Argentine attitude, specially when Paredes hit that ball against the bench. But when that happened and how heated the game became, I figured there might’ve been a story behind it. So after Dibu’s statements, it makes more sense. Even though one could say it’s a holy overreaction and super dumb as it could’ve cost them dearly, but you have to understand Argentines feel the passion of football differently and it’s not uncommon for them to let emotions get the best of them. In other words, I can understand why they had a bone to pick.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It's crazy to come away from a game and think that both teams are full of idiots and the referee is also a moron, but here we are.
Moron? ref No... I think he felt he needed to avoid Red Cards. (In general) and also didn't feel free to be himself. because he realized that this was likely to be his last world cup (Maybe next) He put pressure on himself to call the game in a different style then he normally would and well the players felt that insincerity,.
Advancement seems to hinge on not giving reds to a degree. That said I don't think he did well and the players also tested him routinely.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

This is what I meant by 'both'. Look how many players follow him to take the penalty lmao.

But also like I said I find it entertaining and have no complaints.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And now before someone makes this point in a much worse way, let’s tie it all back together by pointing out that most of the players for those two countries have Italian ancestry.
I don't even get how someone would just wake up one day and have a prejudice against Argentinians and Uruguayans. Countries I (and most people) have no relationship with otherwise. It surely couldn't just be the result of watching football for like 35 years.

The irony about the accusation of "eurocentrism" is too that the only reason I even arrived at those views is that unlike the majority of European fans, I've actually watched South American club competition as well as Argentinian and Brazilian league games.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't even get how someone would just wake up one day and have a prejudice against Argentinians and Uruguayans. Countries I (and most people) have no relationship with otherwise. It surely couldn't just be the result of watching football for like 35 years.

The irony about the accusation of "eurocentrism" is too that the only reason I even arrived at those views is that unlike the majority of European fans, I've actually watched South American club competition as well as Argentinian and Brazilian league games.
Oh kudos for you for watching SA ball. Truly doing Gods work. You turn a blind eye on the nonsense european teams do and perpetuate negative stereotypes.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Btw Dumfries was red carded for harassing players during PK's. Didn't notice until those videos from miles away in the stadium. Puts some of the celebrating in a whole different light.

Fjk_yuvXkAAX9Kk

Yea tell me you wouldn't react to this.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Btw Dumfries was red carded for harassing players during PK's. Didn't notice until those videos from miles away in the stadium. Puts some of the celebrating in a whole different light.

Fjk_yuvXkAAX9Kk

Like I said they acted lie idiots the whole game.(and before kick off) People see what they wanna see.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Fjk_yuvXkAAX9Kk

Dumfries was harassing the Argentine penalty kickers and was being allowed to do this multiple times. While he was finally red carded AFTER the winning penalty kick Fifa had said he was ejected from the field but never was. He was one of the Dutch players that went over to the Argentina celebration a 100yds away to start a post match fight. Another low point.

Reactions: BMann

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yea I'm glad to see some confirmation of this. Cause for a little while when I said I thought it was both teams being fools I saw the responses and was wondering if I was taking crazy pills. I think it's hilarious when teams act like this but there's obviously reasons why and it doesn't just sprout up out of nowhere.

The referee botch jobbed the match, but I do feel like I should point this out. There is no planet on which Emi Martinez and Louis van Gaal are going to be in the same region of space and nothing bad will happen. It is unavoidable destiny that the game turned out this way and there's definitely no innocents here. There were some good hotheads out there today and I can only imagine if Argentina played Portugal or England. Sterling/Henderson/Walker/Pickford are hotheads and that would boil over at some point too.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh boy. What a crazy match and crazy commentary here. Both teams had their moments of unprofessionalism and stupidity, so if anyone is singling out one side compared to the other you might want to get the whole story and edit your post. Specifically that goes for those singling out Argentina as that seems to be the kneejerk (assuming some of the posts didn’t have some of the later context, but like I said, edit your post) reaction.

Lahoz is a garbage ref. He has pretty much shit on Barca in every match for years. He did poorly here missing calls that would have benefitted both teams.

With regards to the shootout, they should really get strict about who can go where. I think it’s ridiculous that a goalkeeper can walk the ball to the spot, get in the player’s face or even bump him. Ref should always be the one taking it to the spot. Additionally, players shouldn’t be crossing into the half where the penalties are being taken unless they’re actually taking a penalty and only when it’s their turn.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Brazil vs Italy in WC82 was the most dramatic for me, broke my football heart and I never recovered. Nothing can compensate for that Brazil team not winning.

That final would be a dream, but with Messi & Argentina winning.
Brazil losing was absolutely disgusting. Socrates is still one of my favs ever.
But that Sevilla game is like a true horror show.

As for the final, I would be disappointed but much less so than any other defeat for France in this WC.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Handanovic, which IMO is the best penalty stopper in history is 1.93m.
And Maignan who's almost at 30% is 1.91.

I could have sworn the ill tempered Dutch-Portugal game from 2006 had sixteen yellows, and four reds

Was about to post this.
Holland being just as any other south american team is forgetting that the worst tempered game of recent WC was two european teams.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
This Argentina team is coached by Scaloni with Walter "Killer" Samuel as assistant. If you've seen them play you know the spirit they're gonna try and instill in their players.
Classless.
After seeing the antics of the Dutch during the penalty shootout I understand the Argentines' reaction a lot better and tbh I'd have done the same.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
The false narrative Argentina supporters ITT are trying to create about how only South Americans are criticized with regards to such behaviour (no doubt because of racism or bigotry or some bullshit like that) while all European sides are viewed as angels is such a crock of shit it doesn't even dignify a response.

You just have to read the comments in the press and idiots commenting to see the same tired old stereotypes trotted out with regards to the South Americans. Borderline racist and racist in some. Dagoes, cheats, scum etc,etc.

Like the picture of the Argentine players shouting as they run past the Dutch squad. No context given at all as to why they were doing that. Just to try and portray them as bad winners and people. The Dutch players constantly going up to the Argentine players as they proceed to the penalty spot and bad mouthing away. Perhaps that's why the dunce Dumfries was sent off.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

This is what I meant by 'both'. Look how many players follow him to take the penalty lmao.

But also like I said I find it entertaining and have no complaints.

The clip was copyrighted, but I’m assuming you’re referencing the Dutch during penalties, but this was after Martinez dancing like a moron in front of the Dutch and then walking up to their penalty taker to try and intimidate him. What’s good for the goose and so on…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad