OT: World Cup 2022

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
One thing that Canada has never had is a legit world class player. Alphonso Davies is rated as the 26th best player at the World Cup. He is a top player on one of the top club teams in the world.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
They're acutally starting to enforce proper injury time now, so I think that should improve if fourth officials stick with it.
I would like to see the ref actually stop the time with injuries and time wasting....I don't like the guessing will there be 3 or 6 minutes of injury time added on (its too flakey) .....Just keep it running time unless you need to stop play due to injury / fake time wasting! The flopping around does not bother me but the time wasting when my team is down and the other side starts cooking the clock sure as hell does :mad:

Hope Canada can get some positive results...would be good for the men's game in this country!

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I would like to see the ref actually stop the time with injuries and time wasting....I don't like the guessing will there be 3 or 6 minutes of injury time added on (its too flakey) .....Just keep it running time unless you need to stop play due to injury / fake time wasting! The flopping around does not bother me but the time wasting when my team is down and the other side starts cooking the clock sure as hell does :mad:

Oh trust me - I've followed Canada going down to Central America for years. Compared to that, World cup matches are downright sportsmanlike, LMFAO.

I maintain a big reason Canada actually had success this cycle was embracing the dark arts of Concacaf. Borjan is the king of the "oh we had a bad spell of play, let me fake an injury so Herdman can give a team talk"

The funny thing was as we went through qualifying, and more people started watching Canada, people would actually be concerned for him lol.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh trust me - I've followed Canada going down to Central America for years. Compared to that, World cup matches are downright sportsmanlike, LMFAO.

I maintain a big reason Canada actually had success this cycle was embracing the dark arts of Concacaf. Borjan is the king of the "oh we had a bad spell of play, let me fake an injury so Herdman can give a team talk"

The funny thing was as we went through qualifying, and more people started watching Canada, people would actually be concerned for him lol.

Yup, lots of gamesmanship in CONCACAF. Sometimes you just need to play the game as big of a joke as it can be.

Also good on the federation for stacking the deck for our home matches. I find it a compliment that other teams went to FIFA and complained about it. We've had to go down, play on crappy pitches in terribly hot conditions etc. For years.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yup, lots of gamesmanship in CONCACAF. Sometimes you just need to play the game as big of a joke as it can be.

Also good on the federation for stacking the deck for our home matches. I find it a compliment that other teams went to FIFA and complained about it. We've had to go down, play on crappy pitches in terribly hot conditions etc. For years.

We've come a long way from complaining about conceding after putting the ball out for a throw due to an injury and not having it thrown back to us. :laugh:

The moment I knew for a fact this Canadian team was qualifying was when Doniel Henry absolutely TRUCKED a Mexican player in an ariel challenge in the opening moments at Commonwealth. That was a statement of how Canada played in critical games. Physical, taking no prisoners, and not intimidated by anyone. It's not a surprise we lost that edge in friendlies and in Nations league. I expect Canada to be absolutely bruising in the WC, and it's why I think they have a legit shot at advancing.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is a MAJOR upset. If that can happen it feels like anything is possible. I now hope for Canada to not only score a goal, but also to win a game . . . and if they can do that, getting out of the group is not out of the question. If our stars can't be held off the scoresheet and the rest of the team plays a decent defense, some things are possible. The Wales/USA game in the first half was so lop-sided ball-control-wise that it seemed like a miracle to me when I heard that Wales had forced a draw. Can Canada do ball control like the US? If so, I'm optimistic. By the way, I have dual citizenship. Life is usually simple enough. I'm Canadian for hockey and German for soccer. Things just got a bit more complicated. Good thing I'm retired so that I can watch a good portion of the day tomorrow.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So I'm Orcadian/ Highlands, although I lived (then and now) for years in London and am married to a Welsh lass.

We're all in on Wales, kids included, with Canada as our second team -- and once they get knocked out there's plenty of underdog fun to be had...

Argentina a shocker for sure, but they're such a mercurial team that it's very hard to expect anything from them game in and out.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
So I'm Orcadian/ Highlands, although I lived (then and now) for years in London and am married to a Welsh lass.

We're all in on Wales, kids included, with Canada as our second team -- and once they get knocked out there's plenty of underdog fun to be had...

Argentina a shocker for sure, but they're such a mercurial team that it's very hard to expect anything from them game in and out.
Our favourite family holiday was based out of a converted barn cottage on a hill with a view of the ocean. Broom and sheep grazing all over the hills completed the look/feel for these tourists. That's worth a third team cheering status now that you mentioned it! Go Wales go!

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Saudi Arabia beating Argentina is a MAJOR upset. If that can happen it feels like anything is possible. I now hope for Canada to not only score a goal, but also to win a game . . . and if they can do that, getting out of the group is not out of the question. If our stars can't be held off the scoresheet and the rest of the team plays a decent defense, some things are possible. The Wales/USA game in the first half was so lop-sided ball-control-wise that it seemed like a miracle to me when I heard that Wales had forced a draw. Can Canada do ball control like the US? If so, I'm optimistic. By the way, I have dual citizenship. Life is usually simple enough. I'm Canadian for hockey and German for soccer. Things just got a bit more complicated. Good thing I'm retired so that I can watch a good portion of the day tomorrow.

I don't know how much of the states you watched during qualifying, but that result shouldn't have shocked anyone. For all their possession, the US did NOTHING with the ball - the goal was actually their only shot on goal, and the xG was slanted WAY in favour of Wales. Their second best chance was when a welsh player accidentally headed a ball at his own keeper.

Any somewhat competent structured team will stop the USA, because Berhalter wants them them to play one way, and one way only. They have the talent to be a really quality team, but they play with no soul, and no creativity.

Berhalter just looks at if his team has possession of the ball. Canada dismantled them in Hamilton, and he said the USA "dominated"

This US team will go NOWHERE with him as coach.

Canada's biggest strength is their adaptability. They're comfortable playing in possession against lesser teams, or hitting in transition on the counter against better ones. Herdman lined up in four or five different formations through qualifying.

Our other biggest strength is our pace - there's just a bunch of fast dudes on this team.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wow, must have cost the Saudi's a lot to let them get the win! Guess Argentina really needed the payoff$!

FIFA is worse than the IOC~

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Wow, must have cost the Saudi's a lot to let them get the win! Guess Argentina really needed the payoff$!

FIFA is worse than the IOC~

Haha, I think all the money in the world wouldn't be enough to pay Argentina to blow this world cup in particular.

The country would probably accept a massive recession just to get Messi over the line.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
3-1 Belgium 2 from De Bruyne, 1 from Batshuyai, and David scores for Canada is my guess.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Not a big soccer fan however I have watched the Canadian women several times and I am delighted the men are in the big show and will be watching. The timing of the game is perfect as it will be on the TV's in our cafeteria during lunch. I have lots of Dutch colleagues here since I work for a Dutch company and they should all be cheering for Canada against Belgium.

Go! 🇨🇦 Go!

Reactions: kanadalainen

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
canada-canada-day.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad