OT: World Cup 2022

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Discuss the World Cup here.

Lots of injuries the story of the tournament so far (at least on the field, the off field disaster is a bigger story). Benzema now out for the tournament for France. Romelu Lukaku missing the first two group games, including Wednesday against Canada.

Any predictions? I've got Argentina winning the final over Denmark.

Reactions: hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I got the favourite Brazil winning, wouldn't be surprised if Spain or England won though

I'm an England fan and I'll be very surprised if they win :laugh: Their offence lately makes the Jets look creative.

Spain could be a good choice. It's a tough half of the draw though. We could also see a Brazil-Argentina showdown before the Finals.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Anyone know what ties are okay ?
In North American sports we play to win or loss
Why is soccer okay with a draw?
Does not feel like a satisfactory result to a game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Anyone know what ties are okay ?
In North American sports we play to win or loss
Why is soccer okay with a draw?
Does not feel like a satisfactory result to a game.

Ties are only an option in the group stage. Once the knockout rounds start they will go to extra time and then a penalty shootout if it's still tied after that.

Reactions: kanadalainen

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Really enjoyed the WC qualifying run of Canada. Don't know much about WC soccer so those who do, what would an NHL equivalent of team Canada when it comes to their chance of winning the whole thing? Are they like Flyers or Blue Jackets of soccer or do they have a realistic chance to win?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Really enjoyed the WC qualifying run of Canada. Don't know much about WC soccer so those who do, what would an NHL equivalent of team Canada when it comes to their chance of winning the whole thing? Are they like Flyers or Blue Jackets of soccer or do they have a realistic chance to win?
I think Canada’s chances would be closer to the Flyers AHL team winning the Stanley cup.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

Brazil/Argentina = Colorado
England = Toronto (they haven't won since '66)
Belgium = Carolina
Canada = Anaheim or Columbus (without the Finns and more Roslovics)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
England rampant this morning!

If Canada can come out strong against Belgium and believe they belong here I think they will qualify. Croatia is older but man that is the game I think will determine if we move on

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I'm a huge soccer guy. Played it myself for 15 years back in the day. However I'm skipping this tournament. I'm more into club football rather than national teams.

Reactions: kanadalainen

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

They have no shot. Winning a game here would be an incredible feat.

Canada's WC run was pretty good - though the weather definitely helped them at home against Mexico and it still took a goal line clearance in the last minute to get the win against them. The US is also on a bit of a downswing but they've had some coaching issues. They were clear qualifiers though, I don't want it to sound like they fluked their way into the World Cup, because they didn't, but they certainly had some luck in actually winning the qualification group.

They're more like a good AHL team than any NHL level team.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They have no shot. Winning a game here would be an incredible feat.

Canada's WC run was pretty good - though the weather definitely helped them at home against Mexico and it still took a goal line clearance in the last minute to get the win against them. The US is also on a bit of a downswing but they've had some coaching issues. They were clear qualifiers though, I don't want it to sound like they fluked their way into the World Cup, because they didn't, but they certainly had some luck in actually winning the qualification group.

They're more like a good AHL team than any NHL level team.

Meh every team in our zone uses home conditions to their advantage. No different for us so I don't include the weather as part of getting lucky.

By no means do we have a shot of winning this thing but I think you do under sell the team a bit. We have some world class talent in David and Davies, and a large number of good players playing in good leagues in Europe. Not an A caliber team in the world but definitely mid table.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So from what I’ve been reading, Canada is on the upswing and this tournament is in no way our peak. More and more of our elite athletes are turning to soccer, hockey is losing out on some talent due to how expensive it is and/or politics. Hockey is still in our blood, no doubt, but soccer and other sports are steadily improving.

I don’t follow soccer much at all but it seems our future is looking brighter than it ever has. We’re unlikely to ever be a world class team; indeed, even in this tournament it would be a major success just to surpass the group stage. But it would be nice if we can at least be competitive in our conference and make the World Cup more often. Would be nice to be able to root for my homeland over England :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Meh every team in our zone uses home conditions to their advantage. No different for us so I don't include the weather as part of getting lucky.

By no means do we have a shot of winning this thing but I think you do under sell the team a bit. We have some world class talent in David and Davies, and a large number of good players playing in good leagues in Europe. Not an A caliber team in the world but definitely mid table.

Compared to the top end teams in the world, Canada is still quite a ways off. Eustaquio, David and Davies are the top end stars - I think Canada has the best top end talent in CONCACAF right now but they aren't the deepest. I think the midfield and the CBs are going to have a very tough time against Belgium and Croatia - they're not necessarily used to playing against players like De Bruyne or Modric.

So from what I’ve been reading, Canada is on the upswing and this tournament is in no way our peak. More and more of our elite athletes are turning to soccer, hockey is losing out on some talent due to how expensive it is and/or politics. Hockey is still in our blood, no doubt, but soccer and other sports are steadily improving.

I don’t follow soccer much at all but it seems our future is looking brighter than it ever has. We’re unlikely to ever be a world class team; indeed, even in this tournament it would be a major success just to surpass the group stage. But it would be nice if we can at least be competitive in our conference and make the World Cup more often. Would be nice to be able to root for my homeland over England :laugh:

Canada is on the upswing for sure. Hockey being very expensive is a big part of why soccer is growing, but also Canada's growing immigrant population is heavily focused on soccer first and don't take to hockey that much. Hopefully some success here, and again when they're in 2026 automatically as a host, will grow it even more.

Cheering for England is a fast route to grey hair. Their big win today is just setting up the disappointment to be even greater.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Compared to the top end teams in the world, Canada is still quite a ways off. Eustaquio, David and Davies are the top end stars - I think Canada has the best top end talent in CONCACAF right now but they aren't the deepest. I think the midfield and the CBs are going to have a very tough time against Belgium and Croatia - they're not necessarily used to playing against players like De Bruyne or Modric.

Canada is on the upswing for sure. Hockey being very expensive is a big part of why soccer is growing, but also Canada's growing immigrant population is heavily focused on soccer first and don't take to hockey that much. Hopefully some success here, and again when they're in 2026 automatically as a host, will grow it even more.

Cheering for England is a fast route to grey hair. Their big win today is just setting up the disappointment to be even greater.
Yeah, I heard the growing immigrant population has been a big part of it too, just forgot to mention it.

Thankfully I’m not too heavily invested in the World Cup so if England (or Canada, for that matter) lose I’ll just be like “gee, that sucks. Oh well.” and move on. I take a Jets regular season loss harder :laugh:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Yeah, I heard the growing immigrant population has been a big part of it too, just forgot to mention it.

Thankfully I’m not too heavily invested in the World Cup so if England (or Canada, for that matter) lose I’ll just be like “gee, that sucks. Oh well.” and move on. I take a Jets regular season loss harder :laugh:
Soccer is rising at the expense of the expen$e of hockey.

Reactions: snowkiddin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I agree that we are very dangerous up-front and on the wings but lack the quality in the middle of the pitch and on the back line. We need a Xavi type of midfield general to really take that next step imo. We definitely are in tough against Belgium.

I mean high level soccer ain't cheap either. Actually most high level sports are incredibly expensive. But there is definitely a cost advantage at the grassroots level.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Despite all the crap, I'm still being sucked in. Canada being in it helps immensely. Loved seeing the USA, who I think are not that good bottle it against Wales. I'd argue they were lucky to even get the point.

I'd put Canada's chances at going through at 1/5, and that's probably too generous, lol.

Lots of potential for a first time winner at this tournament, no real favourites IMO, unless France can somehow beat the Winner's Curse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad