OT: World Cup 2022

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They used to do that. Check out David Trezuguet for France against Italy in the Euro 2000 Final.

Best game I've seen in any soccer game anywhere. I don't think PKs cheapen it at all.
I only really watched the Canadian games and parts of a few others, but watched the final from start to finish today with the family and it was exhilarating. It was an outstanding example of the game that had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. As a pretty much a pure hockey and the primary NA sports fan it was a nice step out into the rest of the World's sporting culture.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Interesting!

I didn't use the term "cheapen" but I do have a strong sense that penalties are not football. The goalie is at a disadvantage.

Soccer culture is a bit different. I think the closest example is in North America how both teams in football get a chance in OT, it feels a bit more fair. Imagine if Messi hadn't scored in extra time and the game was decided by Mbappe's penalty.

A good keeper limits the disadvantage. Martinez did very well with penalties this tournament, as did Livakovic for Croatia. You study tendencies, you read the shooter, you can try to get in their head like Martinez does. That's what makes the save so exciting.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad