Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Ask someone who is a sports novice how many games a "best of 7" series is and you will have your answer.

I came to this realization when I started dating my now wife when she asked me how many games a playoff series was (this was when the Sabres last made the playoffs, so it was about a decade ago).

If you want to argue that we should say "first to 4 wins" instead of "best of 7" because it is confusing to "novice" competition watchers, then yeah sure, I can get behind that. I've had to explain what "best of X" mean to some people in the past and it certainly isn't intuitive, but it isn't an incorrect term, like you've alluded to in your original post. It just is a bad term :laugh:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Some contention around this. Bryan Garner (basically the world's preeminent grammarian) says that acronyms are distinct from initialisms, and both are types of abbreviation. Also, why am I doing this.
Hadumod Bußmann, herself a linguist as well, disagrees.
There are types of acronyms
Acronyms composed of initials like WC
Acronyms that are formed by initials and are pronounced like a word like AIDS
Acronyms that get syllabic values like NATO or Laser
Acronyms that are a mix form like the German Azubi (Auszubildender/apprentice).
I had to look this up, my classes about that were about 20 years ago and I didn't remember everything.
Well, definitions in the human disciplines are often liquid. It's just myself, I never heard that one sees initialisms in a different class than acronyms.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Hadumod Bußmann, herself a linguist as well, disagrees.
There are types of acronyms
Acronyms composed of initials like WC
Acronyms that are formed by initials and are pronounced like a word like AIDS
Acronyms that get syllabic values like NATO or Laser
Acronyms that are a mix form like the German Azubi (Auszubildender/apprentice).
I had to look this up, my classes about that were about 20 years ago and I didn't remember everything.
Well, definitions in the human disciplines are often liquid. It's just myself, I never heard that one sees initialisms in a different class than acronyms.
Appreciate the scholarship. Apparently my pedantry may have been poorly founded. It's at least not as cut and dry as I thought.

Reactions: Eisen

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What if there's more than 1 player offside?
What if people are referring to multiple offsides throughout a game? but yes it is singular generally atleast.
Also
Andersen not Anderson. really annoying how many people make that tiny mistake lol

Reactions: Off Sides

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
"Generational" is thrown around way too much, to the point where its lost almost all meaning. A "generational" player is the singular player who when thinking about a particular era of a sport, is the first one that comes to mind. For hockey that's Howe (50s and 60s), Orr (70s), Gretzky (80s-early 90s) and Lemeux (90s). The parity of the league since the turn of the century is such that I can't think of a single player that really defines the 2000s or 2010s

Reactions: chauron

DonM

May 18, 2015
What if there's more than 1 player offside?
What if people are referring to multiple offsides throughout a game? but yes it is singular generally atleast.
Also
Andersen not Anderson. really annoying how many people make that tiny mistake lol
There are five players offside. There were six offside calls throughout the game. I'm not an expert but I don't think it is plural in either of those cases.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It has to be coming from the younger player generation though. I don't recall Yzerman, Gretzky and the likes ever uttering it.

Do you know of any current players that use it? Serious question. I just heard it from youth players and it’s an easy term to use online, but as far as actual adult conversation goes- I honestly don’t know, does Matthews chirp Marner on his cellys? Do they even talk about it?

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Crying that a player is a POS when he delivers a clean hard hit or does something barely dirty to your player.

Basically remove hockey Twitter

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Franchise player is commonly used across all sports and has been around well before the ea games. #3 is absurd. No one's gonna stop using it cause you don't like it.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The dumbest thing I ever heard was a dude I played beer league with referred to practice as “praccy.” I don’t even know if that’s how you spell it. It hurts just thinking about it. I feel like where I played when I was younger you’d get your asked kicked for saying something like that.

DonM

May 18, 2015
I seen someone say in here in the US rule book it's stated as offsides.
The U.S. gets no say in hockey terminology. There aren't many things we Canadians have control of, but this is one of them.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The U.S. gets no say in hockey terminology. There aren't many things we Canadians have control of, but this is one of them.
maybe on things like calling it Ice Hockey but I would assume the rule book is the same for Canadians in the NHL as well. You can disagree all you like but if it's called that in the rule book that's the proper way to say it.
Offsides but there's the right side and the wrong side. two sides. offsides.

I honestly dont even say it like that anyways sounds incorrect when referring to a player being offside. but if used properly offsides makes sense too

DonM

May 18, 2015
maybe on things like calling it Ice Hockey but I would assume the rule book is the same for Canadians in the NHL as well. You can disagree all you like but if it's called that in the rule book that's the proper way to say it.
Offsides but there's the right side and the wrong side. two sides. offsides.

I honestly dont even say it like that anyways sounds incorrect when referring to a player being offside. but if used properly offsides makes sense too
There are two sides: the side the player is supposed to be on (onside) and the one they aren't (offside). It would be similar to saying a natural rightwing playing on the left side is playing on their offsides because there are two wings.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
“Hall of Very Good”. It’s not a thing. Your decree that a player should be admitted to a non-existent place where you’re the arbiter of who gets in is just a lazy and bizarre way to say you don’t think someone belongs in the HHOF. Just say that instead - and argue away.

Also, Jesus punches a baby otter’s soul every time you say “should of” or “could of” or “would of”. Please think of the baby otter souls.

Reactions: frisco

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
"Generational" is thrown around way too much, to the point where its lost almost all meaning. A "generational" player is the singular player who when thinking about a particular era of a sport, is the first one that comes to mind. For hockey that's Howe (50s and 60s), Orr (70s), Gretzky (80s-early 90s) and Lemeux (90s). The parity of the league since the turn of the century is such that I can't think of a single player that really defines the 2000s or 2010s
I think there can be 2-4 Generational players at a time. I mean I consider Crosby and Ovechkin to be Generational.
McDavid is obviously one.
MacKinnon... is he? I mean he didn't start off like one took him about 5 seasons to really go lights out.
Matthews.... I dont wanna be biased because Im a leafs fan but not sure if he is one or not. his goal scoring seems to almost fit that bill though.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
There are two sides: the side the player is supposed to be on (onside) and the one they aren't (offside). It would be similar to saying a natural rightwing playing on the left side is playing on their offsides because there are two wings.
I think it all depends how it's being used. offside does for sure seem like the proper way to say it. I wonder if in the rulebook if thats just a typo or maybe there's deeper meaning to why it's referred as offsides

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad