Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
idk about fans, but I think NHL players need to remove "you know" from their vocabulary.
If we're going there, I'll lob the most infuriating one I've had for last few years. I don't know when the hell people decided starting sentences with so was a thing to do, but it can quit. Right. f***ing. Now.

"It looked like it was a real battle out there, Tim. Open ice looked like it was at a premium - how tough was it to find that on the game-winning goal?"
"So, we were -"

200.gif

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
You are taking it [best player available] too literally...

... It's an important distinction and so there's a phrase to refer to it by. What's so wrong about that? The salary cap requires maximizing valuable assets. In today's NHL, people preach BPA because it's better to take what the team deems is the best player and then make deals later from a position of strength.

Good explanation of "best player available." I say we keep it.

Another useful but not obvious GM phrase, which I only learned the definition of recently, is "hockey trade." It's a way of distinguishing trading players for need from blowing up a team or salary dump. Coyotes' GM Bill Armstrong has been referring to being interested mostly in "hockey trades" at the deadline. Turns out that it's a meaningful term.

Reactions: 13th Floor

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Agree with 1 and 2, but what's wrong with franchise player or celly ? There's a decent amount of guys that are legit franchise players, you build the franchise around them.

What we really need to remove are the lame nick names.
People have taken Franchise player and applied it to anyone who's been on their team for a decade. Not a player you can build a team around.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
For me, it's not really fans it's commentators who continuously say Apples for assists.
I think that's utterly ridiculous.

Hearing a player with 1 goal and 3 apples is bothersome to me.
Wonder what G word will catch on to replace goals. 1 Gravy and 3 apples?
Just stop with this nonsense already.

1 gino 3 apples

Reactions: Boomstick

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
More specific to HFBoards than NHL fans in general, but:

- “If we made player X available 30 teams would be racing to outbid each other for him.” This is pretty much never true, no matter how good the player, due to factors such as the salary cap and team need.

- “Our elite/star player is worth several other elite/star players.” Simple example: Edmonton fans who actually think that McDavid is worth more than one of Hedman, Kucherov, Point, and Sergachev. The gap between top players is nowhere near that large and is often more than made up for by the difference in cap hits.

- “Our impending UFA is worth what he would have been worth if he was signed longterm and we had no reason to move him, simply because we say ‘with extension’ in the trade proposal.” It doesn’t work that way. A player’s willingness to re-sign with his new team can be a factor in making the trade happen in the first place but it doesn’t substantially increase his value.

- “Your team is cap-strapped so you’ll have to sell your top players at pennies on the dollar and pay for other teams to take your quality cap casualties (as opposed to cap dumps.)” This too has been disproven time and time again. Supply and demand, people. Teams aren’t going to pass on improving themselves against all opponents just to stick it to one of them, so if what a team is selling is in short supply and high demand the circumstances of that team will have little to no impact on the price.
Point & Sergachev for McDavid? Lmao sign me up
He is absolutely worth 2 of those players

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wholeheartedly agree. Can we also agree that Trevor Linden is not in any way a Franchise player?

Yeah. I think “fan favourite” might be the best phrase for players like Linden, Wendel Clark, Ken Daneyko, etc. — that is, players who mean a lot more to a franchise’s fanbase than an objective view of their abilities would seem to warrant.

Reactions: WeaponOfChoice

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Asset Management
I hate that one, too. We are talking about humans here. Unless a team owns a stadium or the plane, then you can talk about assets.

I like to add "compete level". That one just sounds horrifically constructed in a not very clever way. There is a perfectly good word for it and it's competitiveness.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
"Chell."
"Sauce pass."

Sauce pass at least has some background to it; passing the puck in the air and having the puck remain flat so it resembles a "saucer" after which it lands flat on the ice. That term makes sense, has been around forever, and is no different than throwing a "spiral" in football.

"chell" can be fired into the Sun.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I know what they stand for, they just aren't acronyms. They're initialisms. Just being pedantic for its own sake. This thread seemed like the perfect place for it.
Linguists would consider those acronyms.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason

Any standalone/combination of "Toolbox" and "tools"...

If a player has a physical form, how does he not have a toolbox for his tools? Like its the biggest cliche around. They arent Casper the friendly ghost.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
When I searched "acronym vs initialism", it made sense to me. The person you're replying to seems to be right based on that. Care to explain why those would be acronyms instead?
Initialism is a special form of acronyms. All initalisms are acronyms but not vice versa.

Reactions: Realgud

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I use Offside, but it is important to know in the USA hockey rule book uses and calls it Offsides.
Is this rulebook referring to one offside, or to multiple situations?

'Offsides' is the correct plural, but is most often used in the singular, which is wrong.

If one linesman calls every offside in the game, then he called all the offsides, and his partner called none.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
"Sandpaper"

CRINGE.

Here’s one that’s unrelated to hockey, but I see it here and on twitter a lot: “Cringe” being used as an adjective. “Cringeworthy” or even “cringey” are fine, but “cringe” is a verb. (Can’t tell how you’re using it, so this isn’t directed towards you.)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Here’s one that’s unrelated to hockey, but I see it here and on twitter a lot: “Cringe” being used as an adjective. “Cringeworthy” or even “cringey” are fine, but “cringe” is a verb. (Can’t tell how you’re using it, so this isn’t directed towards you.)

This is so cringe bro!? :laugh:

What a cringe celly by my loser teammate...
- Brendan Leipsic, probably.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Burning down your village.
It isn't the 1800s and even if it was no hockey player would be burning anything down. I know it is supposed to be a joke but isn't funny it's lame and annoying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad