Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Off Sides

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
"Compete level" as a replacement for competitiveness. Goddammit hockey people, you're using your words wrong!

“Compete level”

You mean competitiveness?

Shoot, you beat me to it way earlier. Need to edit my post quick!... but the edit button is way over there.

Yes, I'm aware that I had to hit the edit button to make this edit. I'm not crazy.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ask someone who is a sports novice how many games a "best of 7" series is and you will have your answer.

I came to this realization when I started dating my now wife when she asked me how many games a playoff series was (this was when the Sabres last made the playoffs, so it was about a decade ago).

Just because sports novices don't get it, doesn't make it incorrect. "Best of 7" literally means "Best record out of 7 games". When one team wins 4, its over. It isn't that hard to grasp, and it is even correct. The "First to 4 wins" is also correct, but it sounds amateur and awkward.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I know what they stand for, they just aren't acronyms. They're initialisms. Just being pedantic for its own sake. This thread seemed like the perfect place for it.
However an initialism is a specific type of acronym. FWIW.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sucks, blows, AF, WTF, freaking, frickin', What the F, etc.

Maybe I'm just too old st 61, but all of these words are gross and sound low class....even uneducated, at least to me. "Suck" was not a word yet uttered when I grew up or in college, except regarding sucking through a straw.

I realize some or even most here and elsewhere who use these words are educated and have compelling posts and usually write well, so it's even more annoying that they resort to these words.

The two Boston sports radio stations are a non-stop party of these words, from the hosts and callers. Even regular radio talk shows have hosts and callers, males and sometimes females, employing such "words."

And yes, I do realize I'm in a small minority feeling this way.

Would Doc Emrick ever downgrade himself on tv with such garbage? No, and that's one reason he has class.
Good post actually. "Sucks" was acceptable when I was a kid, but I would have been smacked if my mom heard me say that something "blows", even though they are both a reference to the same thing. And the funny (but not funny) part, is that it is now acceptable for our kids to say it. I bet most don't even realize what it is referring to until it is already a firm part of their lexicon.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
“Hall of Very Good”. It’s not a thing. Your decree that a player should be admitted to a non-existent place where you’re the arbiter of who gets in is just a lazy and bizarre way to say you don’t think someone belongs in the HHOF. Just say that instead - and argue away.

Also, Jesus punches a baby otter’s soul every time you say “should of” or “could of” or “would of”. Please think of the baby otter souls.

when in a hockey chat room, like this one, just type HOF. the second H isn't needed, really.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
When at a game I don't need to hear the dumb fan incessantly yelling SHOOT non stop.
The NHL should let the fans make decisions. Wait for it: An app to select the starting lineup, power play, etc. And a 2 minute minor for not shooting when demanded by the fans. Also, fans can override the refs 4 times each season.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Do you know of any current players that use it? Serious question. I just heard it from youth players and it’s an easy term to use online, but as far as actual adult conversation goes- I honestly don’t know, does Matthews chirp Marner on his cellys? Do they even talk about it?

Quite a few of the current gen players use the term celly.

Granted the interviewer who was asking them the question probably lead them on to say it but none of the guys who use it in the video seem to be uncomfortable saying it regardless of how cringe inducing it may sound.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The rulebook.
Like the pirate code.
should be the guideline book.

If you decide it's time for a penalty.. find the least experienced player on ice.. rookie preferably. Call something from the guidelines against.

See something explicitly against the guideline and don't want to call a penalty.. no rookies on ice... they just scored.. just gave them a power play. whatever the reason it doesn't matter.
Just ignore the guideline.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The dumbest thing I ever heard was a dude I played beer league with referred to practice as “praccy.” I don’t even know if that’s how you spell it. It hurts just thinking about it. I feel like where I played when I was younger you’d get your asked kicked for saying something like that.
Death penalty.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Haha it's what the team and reporters call him too!

I don't think it's going away. Most people don't seem able to spell his name either
I figured Kotka would have made more sense. not long ago someone said KK and I had no idea who it was lol.
recently there was a Kotkaniemi - Kakko thread which was really misleading because KK was Kakko's initials lol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation

I think it was all thanks to oilers fans who really used the term hardcore after Yakupov ot goal

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Quite a few of the current gen players use the term celly.

Granted the interviewer who was asking them the question probably lead them on to say it but none of the guys who use it in the video seem to be uncomfortable saying it regardless of how cringe inducing it may sound.

Hockey players also mispronounce the word mullet, so I wouldn't go by their slang terms or their pronounciations.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
'Assets' is number 1 for me. I've used it, albeit rarely, but drives me nuts as it's an armchair GM word.
'P/60' - give me a break.
'Locker room' - in hockey it's called a dressing room. Have the same complaint, to a lesser extent about 'jersey' as compared to 'sweater'.
'Celly' makes me cringe.
'Apples' is dumb.

on the other side.
People don't say the word 'deke' as much anymore and that bothers me. It's always been an iconic hockey word and it's disappearing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, eye test, to an extent.

Nobody scouts players in iso. Just be honest and say points or reputation.

I think an "it walks like a duck" argument holds more weight than "I saw him play and I just know better."

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The dumbest thing I ever heard was a dude I played beer league with referred to practice as “praccy.” I don’t even know if that’s how you spell it. It hurts just thinking about it. I feel like where I played when I was younger you’d get your asked kicked for saying something like that.

A group I played with referred to a sandwich as a sand-o. They were alright guys, but bro- you aren’t even saving any syllables.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad