Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Agree with 1 and 2, but what's wrong with franchise player or celly ? There's a decent amount of guys that are legit franchise players, you build the franchise around them.

What we really need to remove are the lame nick names.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation

It unfortunately gets used a lot up here in Canada

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
overrated/underrated

on forums especially, it becomes non-sensical because there's no objective standard to it. For instance, we could say that Dahlin is overrated because of his draft hype and compared to his play now, but if you win that argument, now he is underrated. Also it seems like everyone is coming into an argument like that with their own definitions, standards, and info to base it on.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Is this like a recent hockey thing? Like 2014 recent? I've been involved in sports and on this board for a long time and never had I heard the word "celly" other than here on hfboards. I almost want to say it has it's origin here especially given that it seems like such a forced and extremely silly abbreviation
Celly is a term used by people who actually play no way it was born here lmao.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
overrated/underrated

on forums especially, it becomes non-sensical because there's no objective standard to it. For instance, we could say that Dahlin is overrated because of his draft hype and compared to his play now, but if you win that argument, now he is underrated. Also it seems like everyone is coming into an argument like that with their own definitions, standards, and info to base it on.

you can be underrated and you can be overrated but can you ever just be rated?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Clutch

It's a mechanical device. There's no such thing as a "big game player". That only means he doesn't care about the rest of the games.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Intangibles.

Most contributions can be measured. We just don’t have the stats yet to do it.

So they can't actually be measured by anyone, only hypothetically? Seems really egregious. I can't believe people who use the word intangibles don't take into account future hypothetical measures.

Reactions: EpiPen

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
What's wrong with franchise player? Cornerstone of a franchise. Every team should have one, but they don't.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For me, it's not really fans it's commentators who continuously say Apples for assists.
I think that's utterly ridiculous.

Hearing a player with 1 goal and 3 apples is bothersome to me.
Wonder what G word will catch on to replace goals. 1 Gravy and 3 apples?
Just stop with this nonsense already.

Not sure how Apple caught on, but its something I've never gotten used to.

In basketball, an assist is called a dime for some reason, and that sounds even more random, although it does sound better than apple.

Reactions: Boomstick

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
at the draft: 'best player available'

Its so vague and theres soooo many different lists and opinions lol.

"BPA" when talking about drafting. Literally means nothing since none of us know the organizations lists.

You are taking it too literally.

It's still a term that has use because it's echoing a drafting methodology. If your team is stacked at a position, BPA means still drafting at that position if the team thinks that's the best player available. As opposed to picking what the team deems is the best player available at a position of organizational need, even if they think it's a lesser player. For example, the Isles are pretty well stocked at RD, but are weak at LW. If they had a top 5 pick and a stud RD was there, they should still take him and if needed, make deals for a LW later rather than pick the best LW in the draft who overall is not as valuable an asset.

It's an important distinction and so there's a phrase to refer to it by. What's so wrong about that? The salary cap requires maximizing valuable assets. In today's NHL, people preach BPA because it's better to take what the team deems is the best player and then make deals later from a position of strength.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
on-the-bench-celly.JPG

CELLY !!!!! .....

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Celly is a term used by people who actually play no way it was born here lmao.

Lol ya, it’s like saying we gotta take “man rocket” outta our vocabularies. Uh, that’s more the actual players using that one more than it’s the announcers, fans, etc.

Clutch

It's a mechanical device. There's no such thing as a "big game player". That only means he doesn't care about the rest of the games.

Clutch can be a thing. Pavelski has been clutch. Kane has been clutch. It’s probably victim to a bit of confirmation bias, but some guys do have a tendency to score when it absolutely matters most. Danny Briere was clutch AF in some big moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->