Words NHL fans need to remove from their vocabulary

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
“Hockey trade” referring to a trade involving roster players. Never hear anyone say “football trade”, “baseball trade”, or “basketball trade”, so I have no idea where this ridiculous term came from

As a Pirates fan I always hear "baseball trade" when management wants cheap roster players instead of prospects that could actually help a team at some point.

Player-for-player trades are rare enough in the NFL that it really doesn't apply there. I can't tell you the last time the Steelers traded a player for a player in any sort of meaningful manner.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Drives me nuts how often certain words get thrown around, so let's start a list of words not to use anymore

#1 Offsides: it's offside singular
#2 Generational: these players come around once in a while, not every year
#3 Franchise Player: this isn't EA
#4 Celly: this one just bothers me, no other reason

Agreed with all but "Franchise Player". That term has been around longer than EA Sports. Where do you think EA got it from?

My selection for these boards is the word "resign", only because it is used instead of re-sign, and it bothers the hell out of me as they have nearly the opposite meaning.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Brb = be right back
Ftw = for the win (and a few other things)

Although I can’t even remember the last time I’ve used those acronyms
I know what they stand for, they just aren't acronyms. They're initialisms. Just being pedantic for its own sake. This thread seemed like the perfect place for it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would also like to see apple in place of assist wiped from memory, though that's more of a player than fan thing.

Play driver - what does this mean exactly and how is it different than play maker?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Agreed with all but "Franchise Player". That term has been around longer than EA Sports. Where do you think EA got it from?

My selection for these boards is the word "resign", only because it is used instead of re-sign, and it bothers the hell out of me as they have nearly the opposite meaning.

I'm aware Franchise was around before but EA beat it into ground to the point I can no longer take it LOL
Re-sign and resign is a top notch catch, should have put it on the list, as it drives me crazy

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Celly is up there. Would have go with "goon" at least on this website, people don't seem to know what that means anymore. 99% of the time it's wrongly applied.

"Game management" also seems to be used every time fans are upset with a call now, which is very often.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Would also like to see apple in place of assist wiped from memory, though that's more of a player than fan thing.

Play driver - what does this mean exactly and how is it different than play maker?
I think play driver is just any strong possession player. Nothing really to do with playmaker.

Reactions: Realgud

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
More specific to HFBoards than NHL fans in general, but:

- “If we made player X available 30 teams would be racing to outbid each other for him.” This is pretty much never true, no matter how good the player, due to factors such as the salary cap and team need.

- “Our elite/star player is worth several other elite/star players.” Simple example: Edmonton fans who actually think that McDavid is worth more than one of Hedman, Kucherov, Point, and Sergachev. The gap between top players is nowhere near that large and is often more than made up for by the difference in cap hits.

- “Our impending UFA is worth what he would have been worth if he was signed longterm and we had no reason to move him, simply because we say ‘with extension’ in the trade proposal.” It doesn’t work that way. A player’s willingness to re-sign with his new team can be a factor in making the trade happen in the first place but it doesn’t substantially increase his value.

- “Your team is cap-strapped so you’ll have to sell your top players at pennies on the dollar and pay for other teams to take your quality cap casualties (as opposed to cap dumps.)” This too has been disproven time and time again. Supply and demand, people. Teams aren’t going to pass on improving themselves against all opponents just to stick it to one of them, so if what a team is selling is in short supply and high demand the circumstances of that team will have little to no impact on the price.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
idk about fans, but I think NHL players need to remove "you know" from their vocabulary.
It's a "word whisker" - a word/sound that people make as time fillers. You would be familiar with other common word whiskers such as "um", "uh", and "like". It's less of a word choice issue and more of a speech issue.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
"Regression to the mean." Every time someone has a good-to-great season and the next season isn't as good, people throw this out as some lazy explanation with zero knowledge of what that phrase really means.

"Game management" is quickly rising up the list. It's the epitome of conformation bias; whatever happens or doesn't happen, oh, look, there's game management again and no one can state what the alleged rules for game management really are.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
"Move the needle"

Holy f*** do people overuse the shit out of this. Yes I know it's a phrase and not a singular word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->