Wooing Matt O'Connor to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Getting O'Connor and resigning Hammond ot back up Andy woudl be awesome.

Bye bye Lehner

Am I the only that thinks that signing O'Connor would mean that we let Hammond go? I just can't see us trading Lehner at probably his lowest value right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I dunno. It's nice to get a free asset and all, but I'm not sure i like the potential fallout with our other goalies. It's already a bit of a gamble now with Hammond making it 3 capable NHL netminders....adding a potential 4th to the mix is a bit tricky.

And oh boy, if we end up keeping the wrong 2 of the group..........

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Am I the only that thinks that signing O'Connor would mean that we let Hammond go? I just can't see us trading Lehner at probably his lowest value right now.

I came here to post this. Haha I agree, I think the same thing.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I still don't think he amounts to anything special given the hype. He's only had 1 great season and that was behind an awesome team with Eichel. Let in back breaking goals in the Semis and Finals of the tournament, one of which was the worst gaffe I have ever seen from a goalie, but I'm not employed by an NHL team so what do I know?

Don't sell yourself short. 29 GMs passed on Mike Hoffman last year and one put him on waivers.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wouldn't really worry about those gaffs. O'Conner is the same age as Lehner. He still needs to develop. He even said it himself that he wants to work with a goalie coach to take him to the next level.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I came here to post this. Haha I agree, I think the same thing.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Keep them all and see what we've got. Hammond has not said it's a 'one way or the highway' yet as far as I know... Lehner may not even be an option b/c his status is still unknown for September... and O'Connor has said he's good to play in the AHL fort he time being. Four goalies and four spots - maybe even only three if Lehner is not ready to go come training camp. If we're lucky enough to get the guy for free, we shouldn't rush to make a move. And of you think BM saying we'll have to move somebody means it'll happen immediately you're likely to be disappointed - he's normally pretty patient about pulling the trigger until he's sure (save the Ryan trade).

BigBush*

Keep them all and see what we've got. Hammond has not said it's a 'one way or the highway' yet as far as I know... Lehner may not even be an option b/c his status is still unknown for September... and O'Connor has said he's good to play in the AHL fort he time being. Four goalies and four spots - maybe even only three if Lehner is not ready to go come training camp. If we're lucky enough to get the guy for free, we shouldn't rush to make a move. And of you think BM saying we'll have to move somebody means it'll happen immediately you're likely to be disappointed - he's normally pretty patient about pulling the trigger until he's sure (save the Ryan trade).

Hammond doesn't need to say this, it's a given. There will be a team willing to give him a cheap one-way contract to be a back-up. Hammond knows that he has a golden opportunity to make a few million in the next few years, he will not accept a two-way contract from Ottawa or any other team.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
There will be a team willing to give him a cheap one-way contract to be a back-up. Hammond knows that he has a golden opportunity to make a few million in the next few years, he will not accept a two-way contract from Ottawa or any other team.

I don't think this is a given at all. Most fans think it was nothing more than a hot streak - to give a one-way as an NHL GM? For a hot streak with someone else? I don't think it's a slam dunk for him at all - heck, O'Connor is the hotter property. Hammond doesn't have the whole league lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad