Wooing Matt O'Connor to Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Murray said during one of the intermission interviews that he is in on the Matt O'Connor frenzy, that he wants Matt in Ottawa that he has been to development camps here, but that there is a lot of competition to lure him.

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/oconnor_matt00.html

Does anyone have insight into Matt or our chances of landing him ?

Do we want him ?

Does having two signed goalies going into next year hurt our chances of him picking us ?

If Murray knew he had the inside track, maybe he'd be inclined to move Lehner this season.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
he's depth. Murray seems pretty good at landing college FAs DaCosta, Butler and Winchester to name some off the top of my head.

Realistically we could sign O'Connor and give him the number 1 ahl spot with little to no competition.

Last edited:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Murray said during one of the intermission interviews that he is in on the Matt O'Connor frenzy, that he wants Matt in Ottawa that he has been to development camps here, but that there is a lot of competition to lure him.

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/oconnor_matt00.html

Does anyone have insight into Matt or our chances of landing him ?

Do we want him ?

Does having two signed goalies going into next year hurt our chances of him picking us ?

If Murray knew he had the inside track, maybe he'd be inclined to move Lehner this season.

Best example to tell him: just look at Hammond!!!

We give chances to our goalies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Somebody (maybe Dreger?) said teams are offering O'Connor NHL starts this year to try to lure him into the fold. Not sure the Sens would be willing to do that if they continue to push for a wildcard spot.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'd love to see Ottawa get him. Realistically, other than Anderson and Lehner our depth in goal is thin for the near future. We've got some great goaltending from Hammond for sure and I think we can all agree it was a pleasant suprise but I don't expect him to keep up like this. We know that if we draft a goalie it will take a good 5 years until he makes his way onto the NHL and how long to be a starter? who knows. O'Connor is already 23 years old and well along in his development and that saves us a couple years for sure of waiting. Goalies takes so long to develop and their value is usually weak, I sometimes feel like it's not worth it to draft goalies and rather just go and trade for a goalie that's already started developing that doesn't have a chance on the team he's playing. Like Fucale, Subban, Gudlevskis amongst many of them or the other option is to sign a young guy like O'Connor.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'd imagine we're in the running with teams desperate for goaltending depth like Edmonton, Minnesota, Buffalo, etc.

Advantages those three teams have is their goaltending is horrendous and the chances of at least being a back-up are very high.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
Somebody (maybe Dreger?) said teams are offering O'Connor NHL starts this year to try to lure him into the fold. Not sure the Sens would be willing to do that if they continue to push for a wildcard spot.
If the push to "get games" is to get his ELC down a year by giving him time this year, I believe being the backup would still count.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If the push to "get games" is to get his ELC down a year by giving him time this year, I believe being the backup would still count.

Didn't Lehner try to weasel his way out of his ELC a year early by saying games where he backed up should count? It didn't work for him, but that may be a different case due to his contract being eligible to slide at the time. It's an interesting angle as teams like Edmonton and Buffalo will have no issues giving him actual minutes this year.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If you're a young goaltender who can choose where he goes why would you choose to go to one of the worst teams in the league? Yeah, you'll get NHL minutes, but honestly those aren't the kinds of minutes you want and will do nothing to establish your value in the league when your stats inevitably suffer because of the bad teams in front of you.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
he's depth. Murray seems pretty good at landing college FAs DaCosta, Butler and Winchester to name some off the top of my head.

Realistically we could sign O'Connor and give him the number 1 ahl spot with little to no competition.

Add Hammond, Robinson & Thompson last yr as NCAA guys who signed with Ottawa. If they are able to sign him he would have to compete along with everyone else, we should never give anything to anyone who hasn't earned it himself. Hammond is an RFA & by the way he has played these 4 games will more than likely get another contract. He at the very least has shown us that he is a very reliable callup when Ottawa needs one.

BTW when is Hogberg scheduled to come to NA, wouldn't he be ready to play in Bingo next yr? I guess playing where he is could be just as good for another yr or two as well but being in NA gives him more of an opportunity to get to Ottawa especially when the two goalies we have now keep getting hurt. I assume if they don't sign O'Connor they could draft a goalie, there could be a couple available in the late 2nd to 3rd round.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Add Hammond, Robinson & Thompson last yr as NCAA guys who signed with Ottawa. If they are able to sign him he would have to compete along with everyone else, we should never give anything to anyone who hasn't earned it himself. Hammond is an RFA & by the way he has played these 4 games will more than likely get another contract. He at the very least has shown us that he is a very reliable callup when Ottawa needs one.

BTW when is Hogberg scheduled to come to NA, wouldn't he be ready to play in Bingo next yr? I guess playing where he is could be just as good for another yr or two as well but being in NA gives him more of an opportunity to get to Ottawa especially when the two goalies we have now keep getting hurt. I assume if they don't sign O'Connor they could draft a goalie, there could be a couple available in the late 2nd to 3rd round.

There was some specualtion that the sens were thinking about rushing him over since bingo doesnt have much goalie depth. I doubt he doesnt come over till hes 22 myself. One or two full years as a starter in the SHL

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I love the sense of entitlement these kids have. Haven't proven **** at the NHL level, but expect to be in the show. Even Jesus Price played in the AHL.

I think most people would handle this the same way- He's being pursued by a bunch of teams as a free agent. Why not try to put yourself in the best possible situation? Wouldn't you do the same in contract negotiations if you were being offered jobs by multiple companies? He's in a position of power, might as well see what type of incentive offers he can get.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I love the sense of entitlement these kids have. Haven't proven **** at the NHL level, but expect to be in the show. Even Jesus Price played in the AHL.

He's going to be offered contracts by teams with no goalies and teams with goalies. Anyone in his position would choose the team that gives him the best chance to start.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Show him the awesome February weather we have.

I saw he's been playing for one of the Boston schools. Based on the winter they had down there as well I have a feeling it won't be too much of a shock if he did end up coming here lol.

But in all seriousness..if we do sign this guy and he ends up being a stud in a season or two.. what do we do with our main duo in Anderson and Lehner? What is Hammond proves he isn't a fluke and keeps on killing it everytime he plays?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Do we ever beat out other teams for players like this? I remember we were in on Sekac, but we lost out to the Canadiens.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not a chance he signs with us. He won't play in Ottawa and Bingo has horrendous defense that makes every goalie look awful.
I'm watching BSens game right now and I'm actually pretty mad.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Let's not forget that he is a Ontario Kid. I'm pretty sure BM will try to get him by saying he will play near home. It's his country. That they a plan for him to be in the Nhl next year or the year after, but they want him to play a little in the AHL to get the feeling.

If i'm O'connor, of course i want to play ASAP in the Nhl. But i will not be stupid enough to think that i'm currently NHL ready.

He's playing against people who don't even have enough talent to play in the AHL. The AHL is way more competitive.

But, I guess he will go to another team. Get rush into the NHL, and will probably failed and get back down in the AHL.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Apparently he wants to be in the NHL ASAP, so our chances are probably low.

Yeah, that worked out really well for Schultz in Edmonton....that kid may not get another NHL contract after how brutal he has been.

O'Conner won't last long if he jumps straight into the NHL. That will kill any chance of a long-term career.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Yeah, that worked out really well for Schultz in Edmonton....that kid may not get another NHL contract after how brutal he has been.

O'Conner won't last long if he jumps straight into the NHL. That will kill any chance of a long-term career.

You don't know this. People didn't give Hammond any chance.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He impressed me at sens development camp a few years ago and has been steady for BU this year in the 3-4 games ive watched. Giant dude and plays a similar game to Bishop somewhat reminds me of John Gibson as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad