WJC Thread/Leafs at WJC

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Don't agree Scott has had a better season?

1st goal, he was not in a great position, too deep in the net. Should have made himself 'bigger'.

2nd goal, he didn't react to the shot in time.... its not like the shot was a laser at all.

A bigger goaltender likely would have stopped both shots...
You are really reaching. Bad position? Make himself bigger? He was in the correct position. It took 2 deflections before going under his arm from behind the goal line. What position do you think he should have been in and how can he make himself bigger on a shot coming from behind him?

2nd goal , I don't think you understand how physics works. If a shot is coming at you from 20 feet out at let's say that shot was 80mph, then changes direction after you've already reacted to the release, how do you have the time to then react to the re direction. Its physically impossible.

Reactions: RLF

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Like all pro coaches accept Crawford, they know who there go-to PK guys are

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No such thing as karma. If anything, that 14-0 game was nothing more than an outlier which threw off the true assessment of the team and the coaching decisions which followed.
If you happen to believe in karma, it has nothing to do with this situation. Karma is the carefully and deliberately considered situation prepared for your next incarnation, one possible factor of which is your behavior in your previous life.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
How bad was the rest of the team in practice shoutout attempts? His best guy’s big move was just skate it in and shoot at the goalie’s pad.

haha, I was thinking he must not have tried his move and went for something else lol

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Can't believe they scored the fluke goal from behind the net and the kid stick breaks with an empty net, just brutal

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why does it seem that nobody wants to give the Finnish team any credit?

They played a very good game, and DiPietro was a large reason they hadn't scored a couple earlier. Luukkonen was also very good, although not tested as much. Yes, a couple of lucky bounces one way or the other decided the game, but both teams have to be fairly even for 'bounces' to be a factor. If Canada were a much better team, then the score would have been 6-0, and a lucky bounce in the last minute would have been meaningless.

I've been saying for at least ten years that Finland was a rising power in hockey, and could easily become one of the best. Of the last five WJC tournaments, Canada and Finland have each won two.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And Leafs officially don't have a prospect playing anymore. Czech's only playing 5 games wasn't much of a surprise, but to have neither Sweden or Canada make the semis is pretty surprising.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And Leafs officially don't have a prospect playing anymore. Czech's only playing 5 games wasn't much of a surprise, but to have neither Sweden or Canada make the semis is pretty surprising.
Sweden has been having trouble scoring for a while, and the Swiss did a very good job of limiting their chances.

It's unfortunate that Canada faced the team with probably the best chance of beating them, in the first round. I'm disappointed by the result, but not particularly surprised.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hunter should have never let the team run up the score against Denmark.

This is a dark spot in the history of Canada's WJ.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
You are really reaching. Bad position? Make himself bigger? He was in the correct position. It took 2 deflections before going under his arm from behind the goal line. What position do you think he should have been in and how can he make himself bigger on a shot coming from behind him?

2nd goal , I don't think you understand how physics works. If a shot is coming at you from 20 feet out at let's say that shot was 80mph, then changes direction after you've already reacted to the release, how do you have the time to then react to the re direction. Its physically impossible.

Bottom line is a larger goaltender had a better chance of stopping those two shots... thats all I was getting at...

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Bottom line is a larger goaltender had a better chance of stopping those two shots... thats all I was getting at...
Samuel Ersson allowed a goal through his arm in the Sweden game just like Dipietro and Is a bigger goalie. It was just a freak goal.

Luukkonen is a 6'5 goalie and allowed a goal in the top shelf similar to the 2nd goal on Dipietro except his want even redirected.

Sure a bigger goalie takes up more net but trying to say that had Dipietro been a couple inches taller he would have stopped it is ridiculous. He played a Fantastic tournament and was awarded the best player for Canada for good reason. Finland won because they worked harder than us in OT and got 2 lucky bounces their way.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't like the "pick a player" for penalty shots. I would just choose whoever gets infracted. It puts even more pressure on whoever you select. Can get in their head.

I don't know how you chalk up that loss to anything other than karma & bad luck

Reactions: hoglund

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If you happen to believe in karma, it has nothing to do with this situation. Karma is the carefully and deliberately considered situation prepared for your next incarnation, one possible factor of which is your behavior in your previous life.
Karma is omnipresent and irrespective of time or incarnations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad