WJC Thread/Leafs at WJC

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Samuel Ersson allowed a goal through his arm in the Sweden game just like Dipietro and Is a bigger goalie. It was just a freak goal.

Luukkonen is a 6'5 goalie and allowed a goal in the top shelf similar to the 2nd goal on Dipietro except his want even redirected.

Sure a bigger goalie takes up more net but trying to say that had Dipietro been a couple inches taller he would have stopped it is ridiculous. He played a Fantastic tournament and was awarded the best player for Canada for good reason. Finland won because they worked harder than us in OT and got 2 lucky bounces their way.

To suggest that a smaller goalie isn't at a disadvantage is ridiculous... I can't believe you're trying to suggest otherwise...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's a western, non-religious view of karma, and certainly not the original eastern one.
Actually it's the Tibetan Buddhist view of it.
They believe that karma exists in our actions and choices at every moment as long as it is ego driven hence the need to become enlightened to transcend ego and escape karma
Edit
This does not exclude past or future lives

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Threads like this is why you have 19 year olds like Ian Mitchell crying while apologizing to all of Canada for letting them down.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
To suggest that a smaller goalie isn't at a disadvantage is ridiculous... I can't believe you're trying to suggest otherwise...
I acknowledged in the 3rd paragraph that a bigger goalie takes up more net but I also gave you 2 examples from yesterdays games of 2 bigger goalies that were scored on almost identically.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I acknowledged in the 3rd paragraph that a bigger goalie takes up more net but I also gave you 2 examples from yesterdays games of 2 bigger goalies that were scored on almost identically.

Well, no shit... All goaltenders get scored on... :laugh:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You know better than me, but my feeling is that a lot of smaller goaltenders are quicker on the skates. So while they might be smaller, they can use their skating to challenge the shooter further out and therefor cut off as much of the angle as the bigger goaltender?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
You know better than me, but my feeling is that a lot of smaller goaltenders are quicker on the skates. So while they might be smaller, they can use their skating to challenge the shooter further out and therefor cut off as much of the angle as the bigger goaltender?

When you are smaller it just means that you use speed to make up for your size or a difference in technique/stance to make yourself bigger. Smaller goalies get around the crease quicker and seal the ice quicker.

It's the same thing with the equipment changes. Everyone thought that shorter pads was gonna result in more goals but it just made them faster and helped with not hindering movement. I know when I went with smaller pads it helped my game. Goalies just adapt and play to their strengths.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
When a team that starts with K goes further in the World Juniors .... you has a bad year.

5429D84E-83D8-4667-A7C3-10AD89950654.jpeg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Finns were lucky as **** to win that game lol
Finland outplayed Canada for most of the game, and DiPietro was the main reason Canada didn't lose in regulation.

Like it or not, Finland is producing some of the best players in the world right now, which is why they have won two of the last five WJCs (the same number as Canada), and have eliminated Canada twice in four years.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I don't like the "pick a player" for penalty shots. I would just choose whoever gets infracted. It puts even more pressure on whoever you select. Can get in their head.

I don't know how you chalk up that loss to anything other than karma & bad luck

While they were unlucky, Finland played as well (if not better) and it was an even game. IMO, chalking it up to luck isn't fair to the game the Finns played.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Finland outplayed Canada for most of the game, and DiPietro was the main reason Canada didn't lose in regulation.

Like it or not, Finland is producing some of the best players in the world right now, which is why they have won two of the last five WJCs (the same number as Canada), and have eliminated Canada twice in four years.

Not really, the Finns were just chasing a lead trying not to get eliminated, Finns goalie made some great saves during the game.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not really, the Finns were just chasing a lead trying not to get eliminated, Finns goalie made some great saves during the game.
Yes, Luukkonen was good too, but he didn't have as many hard saves to make as DiPietro. I don't see how anyone who watched the game can think the Finns weren't the better team, but if you do, that's ok with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad