WJC Thread/Leafs at WJC

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Figured it was time for this with camp rosters starting to be announced.

Leafs at WJC:

Canada: Ian Scott

Czech Republic: Filip Kral

Sweden: Rasmus Sandin, Pontus Holmberg.

2019 Draft Eligibles:

Denmark: Mads Sogaard, Jonathan Brinkman, Gustav Green.

Finland: Kaapo Kakko, Ville Heinola, Anttoni Honka,

Kazakhstan: David Muratov, Oleg Boiko, Dias Guseinov, Maxim Musorov,

Russia: Vasili Podkolzin

Slovakia: Samuel Hlavaj, Andrej Golian,

Sweden: Philip Broberg

Switzerland: Valentin Nussbaumer

United States: Spencer Knight, Jack Hughes

Re-entries of Interest:

Canada: Brett Leason

2020: Draft Eligibles:

Canada: Alexis Lafreniere

Finland: Anton Lundell

Kazakhstan: Artyom Korolyov

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Holmberg is more then likely going to be on Sweden.
I think he has a solid chance, just waiting until I see him officially on the camp roster before I added him. I specifically mentioned Sandin and Liljegren, just because Dubas has been quoted on it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Looking forward to the WJC this year

Nothing better than seeing plenty of kids in the Leafs prospect pool on the world stage against there peers

Should be fun following them all

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is Rasanen not being there for Finland due to his play or injury?
Unclear, but he barely played this year even when healthy. Can't blame the national team for leaving him off even if they expect him to be healthy by then.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Unclear, but he barely played this year even when healthy. Can't blame the national team for leaving him off even if they expect him to be healthy by then.
I think he made a big mistake going back there. I mean if he was home sick, so be it, you have to be in good shape mentally too, but he probably has set himself back a year or two.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he made a big mistake going back there. I mean if he was home sick, so be it, you have to be in good shape mentally too, but he probably has set himself back a year or two.

Probably would have been better to go to a Finnish league team as opposed to a Finnish KHL team

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Kizimov played for Russia in the Four Nations tournament, IIRC. I think he had at least a moderate degree of success. Probably a long shot however

Aho and the Bunnaman

May 5, 2015
I hope Scott snags the starting job! Last time I remember Leafs prospects playing a big role in the WJC for Canada was that team with Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo...or the Pogge year :cry: (Marner I suppose, but I didn't really pay attention to the juniors that year)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hope Scott snags the starting job! Last time I remember Leafs prospects playing a big role in the WJC for Canada was that team with Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo...or the Pogge year :cry: (Marner I suppose, but I didn't really pay attention to the juniors that year)

Marner
Kadri
Rielly
Gauthier (actually won Gold)

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I thought he was still eligible, did he get past over once or twice in the draft?
Just once but he has a late birthday which is why it seems he was passed over twice. Essentially he is 2 months too old for the tourney.

Even if he were eligible, I don't think he would come close to an invite, Canada D far too strong this year.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Pontus Holmberg is on the Swedish preliminary roster, per the Swedes on the International tournament board. Also Sandin and Liljegren.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I just don't think he's any good.

Never liked him as a prospect.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
From what I remember, the Russians usually bring a team full of 19 year olds so SDA would be too young. I also believe I read somewhere that playing in the CHL greatly hurts his stock for that team.
Both are solid arguments.

But he's really starting to come on I hear. You have to wonder if the Russians can be that picky.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hard to root for Team Canada (I still will of course) when the Leafs have 3 prospects on Team Sweden.

I hate this tournament for judging players but it's always nice to see players on the big stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad