WJC talk

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Wow you guys my 1st games of the tourney, what a show. Swiss played a great game, I agree Hischier is an exciting player to watch. Thought he could score every shift. Czech is getting out shot but playing solid. I love when teams get under USA and Canada's skin. :D

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hronek reads the play really well. Seems to be in the right place to pick up the puck constantly. Czechs under a lot of pressure and Hronek is maybe the only d-man that seems able to handle it.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Hronek is a mean SOB. He's like Svechnikov in that sense. If you try anything, he's going to put the hurt on you. It's a nice quality, but he's definitely going to have to calm down a little bit at the pro level.

Late birthday too which means he could be up for Grand Rapids next season. Interesting with VS coming up too.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well, the Czechs are out. Overall, I really liked what I saw from Hronek. That guy is a total competitor. Very good defensively, a good puckmover, a capable shooter, and overall very good hockey sense. Plays with a lot of edge for a smaller guy, to the point where it was actually too much, but I think that'll come with time.

I wish we could have seen him with more PP time, but the Czechs didn't seem to have a lot of PPs. He seems to have really top notch skills on the blueline in the offensive zone, but it was a pretty small sample size.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Well, that's the tournament done for Hronek.

He finishes with 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games (equal 1st in scoring with Zboril), was named best player for the Czechs in one game and among their 3 best for the tournament (alongside 2 forwards).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Late birthday too which means he could be up for Grand Rapids next season. Interesting with VS coming up too.

I could see him getting some games in GR at the end of this season. There isn't a ton of competition and he has played against men before.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nice. Will be good to see him put on 30-40lbs and then keep that edge. Sounds like a real good goer (did not see a minute of his games)
He doesn't look very small to me, I should say. He might have been really skinny at the draft, but it looks like he's had a good summer. If I had to guess, I'd say he's 6'1 175 or so now. He was noticeably bigger than Spacek, who is 5'11 190.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Well, the Czechs are out. Overall, I really liked what I saw from Hronek. That guy is a total competitor. Very good defensively, a good puckmover, a capable shooter, and overall very good hockey sense. Plays with a lot of edge for a smaller guy, to the point where it was actually too much, but I think that'll come with time.

I wish we could have seen him with more PP time, but the Czechs didn't seem to have a lot of PPs. He seems to have really top notch skills on the blueline in the offensive zone, but it was a pretty small sample size.

You are spot on with your description of his play, thanks for your enthusiasm the last week. The bolded statement though, I hear said but he doesn't look small to me. Not sure what he's listed at but size will not be a problem.

In the single game I saw Hronek kept very calm. Things just went right on his shifts getting pucks out. His rushes were aggressive and led directly to one goal and inadvertently to another. Encouraging prospect to keep an eye on.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I could see him getting some games in GR at the end of this season. There isn't a ton of competition and he has played against men before.

Grand Rapids has a good D. Brian Lashoff, Nathan Paetsch, Robbie Russo, Nick Jensen, and Joe Hicketts is a very good D. I'm really hoping James De Haas gets a contract and ends up there to finish the year.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Grand Rapids has a good D. Brian Lashoff, Nathan Paetsch, Robbie Russo, Nick Jensen, and Joe Hicketts is a very good D. I'm really hoping James De Haas gets a contract and ends up there to finish the year.

Can anyone describe De Haas' game to this point? I only remember reading pretty tepid reviews from guys like Malik and Sporka during prospect camps.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Can anyone describe De Haas' game to this point? I only remember reading pretty tepid reviews from guys like Malik and Sporka during prospect camps.

Big and rangy, good skater, ordinary puck skills. Clarkson streams their games on their website if you want to watch him.

FWIW he will technically be a UFA after he graduates.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Saarijarvi's tournament is done now with Finland avoiding relegation.

He finished with 2 PP goals and 2 assists in 6 games. He was also named among the best 3 players for Finland.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Saarijarvi's tournament is done now with Finland avoiding relegation.

He finished with 2 PP goals and 2 assists in 6 games. He was also named among the best 3 players for Finland.

Could have been better but that's fine

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yep, he had a good tournament without being great. The powerplay was lacklustre for most of the tournament and only came to life against Latvia.

We didn't learn anything new about Saarijarvi. He's still an offensive dynamo at junior/international level.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yep, he had a good tournament without being great. The powerplay was lacklustre for most of the tournament and only came to life against Latvia.

We didn't learn anything new about Saarijarvi. He's still an offensive dynamo at junior/international level.

I was kind of surprised to see how well he handled the forecheck and especially avoiding some big hits from forwards.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Very entertaining semifinal game between USA and Russia.

The Minnesota Wild must be happy, they have a solid group of forwards in Kunin, Greenway, Kaprizov...and Eriksson Ek is also doing well.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I hope this allays any concerns about Motzko coaching our prospect.

USA has a tendancy to win gold with those Badger captains:thumbu:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Great tournament! Honestly and people can look at those games however they want. But the USA just best Russian and Canada twice in a row each while claiming goal. That is what some of us have dreamed about. Just a great Tourny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad