WJC talk

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Did you see him get undressed one on one? Im not saying he didn't have a good game, im saying he's been showing inconsistency in his game.
Yea I posted the link in this thread.
Oh my god a 19 year old kid got beat by an awesome move. **** happens, you comparing him to Brendan Smith is a pretty scathing review based on the opinions of this forum.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Did you see him get undressed one on one? Im not saying he didn't have a good game, im saying he's been showing inconsistency in his game.
I didn't see that at all. He's been consistently their best defenseman. I've really been impressed with his defensive play, in particular. He's had to cover multiple guys on a regular basis, and he's done it with poise. That OT goal was the first time I've seen him get beaten, really. He's been a rock for them. And, for the record, Craig Button said the same thing during the game today.

Now, have we seen his offensive game a lot? Not really. This Czech team has really struggled to keep possession, and besides this game today, they've almost never used their defense. So, yeah, he hasn't really torn it up offensively. But that's not his fault.

But he was probably their best player today, even with the OT goal. I have no idea why you're comparing him to Brendan Smith. Defensively sound, composed, heads-up offensively... those things don't even sound like Smith.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Now, have we seen his offensive game a lot? Not really. This Czech team has really struggled to keep possession, and besides this game today, they've almost never used their defense. So, yeah, he hasn't really torn it up offensively. But that's not his fault

...which is not quite true. Czechs had the puck all game long vs the Swiss...they just failed to create high quality chances. Hronek also didn't do much. He was solid defensively but played a quiet game apart from the two stupid penalties he took.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hronek was soundly beaten 1 on 1.

I've seen most of his games this tournament and that is the only instance I can remember.

It happens.

EK, my favourite player, was soundly beaten by a first gamer (a damn good one, I must say) in Auston Matthews, giving up a goal.

Hronek is no EK, obviously...

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
...which is not quite true. Czechs had the puck all game long vs the Swiss...they just failed to create high quality chances. Hronek also didn't do much. He was solid defensively but played a quiet game apart from the two stupid penalties he took.
The Czechs did a bad job of generating what I would describe as "clean" possession. I swear, almost every single shift I've seen this tournament has had the Czechs cycling along the boards, completely surrounded, with zero passing lanes. They almost never generate separation from defenders, which means there are almost never dangerous plays for them. They don't really do outlet passes or anything like that. They just stickhandle around the perimeter all day long, barely keeping the puck.

They remind me of an entire team of Hudlers. Slow, soft, east-west hockey with a total allergy to shooting or dumping the puck. They just try to dangle, cough up the puck, and it goes the other way. That basically describes every game they've played in this tournament.

But Hronek has almost never had the puck in the offensive zone so far in this tournament. This game was the only time I saw them actually use a point shot as a viable offensive opportunity. Which is kind of a shame, because both Hronek and Zboril are very good at that kind of thing. And of course the Czechs have almost never been on the PP, which is another thing Hronek is really good at.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Brendan Smith was a pretty damn good hockey player at 19/20

He had a strong game today, I don't see how you can belittle his performance. I didn't see the 30 minutes between the first intermission and halfway through the third due to work stuff though.

Smith wasn't that good. I remember in his draft year every scout saying he was poor defensively and needed to put a lot of work in to improve in his own zone. Sadly he never improved and to this day is completely lost in his own zone.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Hronek was soundly beaten 1 on 1.

I've seen most of his games this tournament and that is the only instance I can remember.

It happens.

EK, my favourite player, was soundly beaten by a first gamer (a damn good one, I must say) in Auston Matthews, giving up a goal.

Hronek is no EK, obviously...

Every defenseman that has ever played hockey gets beaten.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Smith wasn't that good. I remember in his draft year every scout saying he was poor defensively and needed to put a lot of work in to improve in his own zone. Sadly he never improved and to this day is completely lost in his own zone.

Smith was a good offensive defenseman that the wings were hoping would mold into a Mike Green type player. Problem is his offensive game never translated to the NHL and his defensive game was never fully developed.

The only reason I brought up Smith is because his consistency is always an issue and it's been the same with Hronek this WJC. He makes some great plays, then he takes a dumb penalty or gets beat. He's only 19 so he'll improve but I just worry about this teams ability to farm defenseman, and hope he doesn't turn into a one way player on the 3rd pairing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith was a good offensive defenseman that the wings were hoping would mold into a Mike Green type player. Problem is his offensive game never translated to the NHL and his defensive game was never fully developed.

The only reason I brought up Smith is because his consistency is always an issue and it's been the same with Hronek this WJC. He makes some great plays, then he takes a dumb penalty or gets beat. He's only 19 so he'll improve but I just worry about this teams ability to farm defenseman, and hope he doesn't turn into a one way player on the 3rd pairing.

I don't think we're bad at developing defenseman. I just think we haven't picked a great one in a long time.

If Hronek, Saarijarvi, Cholowski don't become great defenseman, I think it will be 0% because of our development process.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

It sounds to me like you are expecting a bit much from a 19-year-old on an under-skilled team in an international tournament. Young players make mistakes all of the time. This is one of the reasons why the WJC is so great to watch.

I am less concerned about Hronek than any other prospect in the organization.

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
Great pick. Shame he has no plans of coming to NA anytime soon

He has one year left on his KHL deal. Obviously there is the Russian factor, but I have a feeling that sooner or later he will be in the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Looks like Van Pottelberghe will be in again tonight. Wonder if he'll get a break tomorrow.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Hronek with another goal, he's easily been our best player the entire tournament, he's just so steady. He reminds me of Petry without the occasional brain farts.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Smith never played in the WJC he was never good enough to suit up for Canada (thank God).

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
JVP.... Wings goalie of the future.

Liked what I saw from him in the tourney last year, but his glove side was a real weak spot. Looks like he has cleaned that up, he's been real solid this year.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Saarijärvi scores vs Latvia. Nice wrister from the point on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad