WJC-Russia-2016

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Assuming Dervuk has played himself off the team, I would try something like this:

F
Kaprizov - Kamenev - Korshkov
Guryanov - Svechnikov - Lazarev
Kuzmenko - Svetlakov - Dergachev
Afonasevsky - Rubtsov - Pilipenko
Lauta

D
Provorov - Sharipzyanov
Sergeev - Boikov
Tsulygin - Kolganov
Mikulovich

G
Samsonov - Georgiev

Sharipzyanov is normally a LD, but I know he has played RD before. Boikov has been on LD and RD.

I think the defense needs a right-hand shooting defenseman. So either Tsulygin or Zborovsky. IMO Zborovsky was a big mess at SS.

No Letunov for me. Had a hot start, but he is just another skinny skilled guy. Plenty of those here.

Kamenev could be a question mark because of how good he has been in the AHL.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Perhaps but if he can't win faceoffs he should at best play at wing.
the roster seems very weak. at the last u20 tournament how many points did korshkov, guryanov and kaprizov put combined? one? that's doesn't overwhelm me with optimism. and the last two lines are plain brutal.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Some thoughts after the SuperSeries:

Don't really want to even think about Tretyak and Trushkov, can we have an extra skater instead of the third goalie at WJC? :sarcasm:

Defense situation is still uncertain, although Zhuldikov was named as a captain for those last games and that's definitely a sign of trust from Bragin. On the negative side, to me it looks like Zborovskiy should wait a year.

Bragin is using Dergachyov and Svechnikov at wings, which leaves us rather short of center options. If Kamenev is not there, we have Kraskovsky, Svetlakov and... and... Trenin? Letunov? Fazleyev (I still have that turnover in front of my eyes)? Not the greatest options, imo. No idea who can be a 4-th line center, Protapovich doesn't look convincing, same with Fazleyev.

Have a mixed feelings about Vovchenko and Pilipenko. I still think it might have been much better if they had someone at center who is better than Igumnov at... at the game of hockey basically. Vovchenko had too much missed chances. Pilipenko looked creative and explosive, but rather soft and inconsistent, still he did the backcheck very often.

Svechnikov and Lazarev shouldn't be separated (you can send this to Ken Holland too, btw :) ).

Again mixed feelings, this time about Dergachyov, he is, of course, good at the physical part and all the dirty stuff, but I'm not sure if his offensive side is good enough for the leading role at the Top6.

I have an impression that there is a certain deficit of creative guys this year. Before the SuperSeries I thought it will be between Lazarev and Pilipenko for the roster spot at RW, right now I would take them both just because they can actually generate the offense with some unexpected moves.

Nekolenko is a huge surprise, he suddenly remembered that he was considered one of the biggest talents of 1996 birth year. He is one of the few guys who I can't say anything bad about.

Lauta and Afonsyevskiy looked rather inconsistent, but still decent, I think they are the main options for the bottom six LWs.

I have a feeling that right now lines could be something like that:

Svechnikov-Kamenev/Trenin-Lazarev
Kaprizov-Svetlakov-Dergachyov
Lauta-Kraskovsky-Korshkov
Afonasyevskiy-?????-Nekolenko

As I already mentioned, I still think we need Pilipenko's abilities, but I just don't see a place for him. Zhelezkov could still fight for the bottom six LW position. Hope that Nikolishin can have another chance too, he just got a hat-trick in WHL game, although again I fail to see a place for him as Svechnikov and Kaprizov look like having reserved Top6 LW roster spots. Letunov is a mystery for me, he has good stats at NCAA, even faceoff stats have been slightly improved, I wouldn't mind at least to have him invited to the camp, having in mind our center situation. Oh, yes, and there's still Guryanov as a possibility for RW.

Btw, any updates on Dervuk's and Dergachyov's injuries? It's not a long time until the training camp (December 11-th, iirc), so any injury trouble is worrisome.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
the roster seems very weak. at the last u20 tournament how many points did korshkov, guryanov and kaprizov put combined? one? that's doesn't overwhelm me with optimism. and the last two lines are plain brutal.

On paper the roster looks good to me. I am looking primarily at the professional success of some of these players. Otherwise who knows.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Bragin is using Dergachyov and Svechnikov at wings, which leaves us rather short of center options.

He is, but it doesn't mean he will stick with that approach. It is not like Kraskovsky is better at playing the middle.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He is, but it doesn't mean he will stick with that approach. It is not like Kraskovsky is better at playing the middle.

Kraskovsky at least is playing C, Dergachyov has been playing at W this season, although we need someone like him to be centering the 4-th line. Agree about Svechnikov though, it would be logical to at least try him at C in NT.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Trenin does well on faceoffs and at Center, Bragin seemed to like him as he was using him in late game situations against the QMJHL. I think Letunov should be heavily considered as he is in a position of need and has the skill to play in the top 6.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The forwards are adequate, but the defense is the same story as usual - too slow and non-physical to cope with the speed and skill they will come up against in the WJC. Last year was an exception, with a fairly talented group of D men, but this year is back to normal - awful. It doesn't matter if you have 12 Ovechkins or Datsyuks at forward if you have 6 Tyutins on defense. The team will spend the entire time in its own zone trying to clear pucks, but, unfortunately, too many will go in.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sharipzyanov and Boikov are plenty physical. This defense looks fine on paper to me.

There real problem is Provorov's crappy play this year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
There is no reason why Russia can't fully upgrade the defense and put high quality defensemen on the ice. They just need to get busy and focus on it!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
There is no reason why Russia can't fully upgrade the defense and put high quality defensemen on the ice. They just need to get busy and focus on it!

It's strange because some other nations don't have this problem, if Russia had good D close to the level of the forwards , good chance they would dominate international tournaments. The ones who have made it recently are very capable and have a physical element. Voynov, Marchenko, Nesterov, all good solid d-man.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It's strange because some other nations don't have this problem, if Russia had good D close to the level of the forwards , good chance they would dominate international tournaments. The ones who have made it recently are very capable and have a physical element. Voynov, Marchenko, Nesterov, all good solid d-man.

From U17 all the way up to Olympic class, Russian teams are plagued by the lack of talent and skill on defense. There are too few guys who skate well enough and are sufficiently physical to (1) separate opposing forwards from the puck when they come into the Russian zone, (2) control the loose puck until they can skate it to a position where they can pass it to a forward in position to launch an attack, and (3)support the forwards when they are in the opposing team's zone to lock the puck in. Other teams can do that, but for some reason, Russia can't. The offensive skill of an Ovechkin or Malkin is useless if the other team has the puck in the Russian zone. Except for last year, this has been a huge problem at the U20 tournament.

Of the guys you mentioned, Nesterov certainly has the physical ability to play that kind of game, even though many of the mental decisions that he makes on the ice are frightening!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
first of all we need to breed the dmen - not just pick the ones who aren't good enough to be forwards

Absolutely agree! And there are many examples of Russian defensemen of the past (e.g., Vasiliev, Fetisov, Kasatonov, Gusarov, Gonchar, etc.) who had great skill and played great hockey from the defense position. Its up to the organizers and coaches to build a platform in which great D men can be developed.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
According to Bragin, Kamenev will be released by Nashville for WJC. That's just a huge addition. Centre axis of Kamenev-Svetlakov-Kraskovsky-Trenin looks good on paper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad