WJC-Russia-2016

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Really hoped to see Dervuk, Pilipenko, Vovchenko, Nikolishin, Letunov and Poryadin in the camp. But that's Bragin I guess, he prefers other values in players.

Dervuk stunk up the joint, Pilipenko underachieved, Vovchenko - suspension and didn't impress at ss. Nikolishin was useless at ss.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Amusing interview with Bragin: http://fhr.ru/main/news/card/?id_4=11421

Says Vovchenko still has to serve two tournament games of suspension for prior incidents if he were to play in the tournament, which was a factor. However also notes that he underachieved at SS.

Acknowledges that Tretiak is not in play for #1 or #2, as the primary job will be between Samsonov and Georgiev. Gives politically correct answer about Tretiak making the camp roster due to outplaying Trushkov (which is debatable and only made possible by cutting Krasotkin, of course).

Bragin is handling the politics of this very elegantly, I think.

There wasn't even any political correctnes about Tretiak. Among the 4 goaltenders pre-selected to he 2 tournaments he really was the third best. Trushkov just mailed it in himself. I have no trouble with the decision and the message is very clear. Tretiak as no chance unless one from the top duo is injured, becuase the gap between #2 and #3 is very obvious.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As I have said the only reason Tretiak was "third best" is because the otherwise mediocre Trushkov was invited to SS. There are other better goalies out there than Trushkov, and Tretiak for that matter.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
There wasn't even any political correctnes about Tretiak. Among the 4 goaltenders pre-selected to he 2 tournaments he really was the third best. Trushkov just mailed it in himself. I have no trouble with the decision and the message is very clear. Tretiak as no chance unless one from the top duo is injured, becuase the gap between #2 and #3 is very obvious.

Besides the first game Trushkov was lights out, was solid as a rock. Tretyak was dirt awful, just horrible in every technical way possible. There are other guys like Krasotkin, Fedotov or even the U18 goalies who are better. Tretyak is a heaping piece of garbage. Its not just me, the announcers were saying this the whole series, this guy couldnt stop a balloon. I havent seen something this laughable in a long time on here - Trushkov was 100x better than Tretyak at the SS and thats fact.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Gives politically correct answer about Tretiak making the camp roster due to outplaying Trushkov (which is debatable and only made possible by cutting Krasotkin, of course).

Bragin laughing in his head profusely as these words slip out of his mouth. Whatever, he's a good coach, sometimes you have to suck back your pride and do what the boss wants.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
As I have said the only reason Tretiak was "third best" is because the otherwise mediocre Trushkov was invited to SS. There are other better goalies out there than Trushkov, and Tretiak for that matter.

I doubt that. Let's not pretend ANY country can produce bunches of world class goalie prospects every year. Having two in Samsonov and Georgiev is rich enough.

Besides the first game Trushkov was lights out, was solid as a rock. Tretyak was dirt awful, just horrible in every technical way possible. There are other guys like Krasotkin, Fedotov or even the U18 goalies who are better. Tretyak is a heaping piece of garbage. Its not just me, the announcers were saying this the whole series, this guy couldnt stop a balloon. I havent seen something this laughable in a long time on here - Trushkov was 100x better than Tretyak at the SS and thats fact.

I get it people don't like Tretiak because of the name. And it's wrong. Yes, Tretiak was bad, but Trushkov was worse. Just admit it. I don't care why or how or what some idiots of anouncers said(we barely have any with even scraps of knowledge). That's what I saw.

As for other goalies there is evidence besides your love for them. And let's not forget an underager in Samsonov is getting the nod already. I highly doubt there are bunches of U18 goalies who are future stars.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I doubt that. Let's not pretend ANY country can produce bunches of world class goalie prospects every year. Having two in Samsonov and Georgiev is rich enough.

I get it people don't like Tretiak because of the name. And it's wrong. Yes, Tretiak was bad, but Trushkov was worse. Just admit it. I don't care why or how or what some idiots of anouncers said(we barely have any with even scraps of knowledge). That's what I saw.

As for other goalies there is evidence besides your love for them. And let's not forget an underager in Samsonov is getting the nod already. I highly doubt there are bunches of U18 goalies who are future stars.

The losses in 5 of the 6 Super Series games were due largely to goaltender incompetence. It is psychologically deflating for a team when they work hard to generate scoring opportunities only to be subverted by their goalie on the other end allowing goals on routine, easy saves. Tretiak and Trushkov were equally awful in all 6 games.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

I didn't say there are many world class goalies. I said that there are many goalies out there better than Tretiak.

Tretiak was purposefully given a spot on SS with another mediocre goalie, which gave him a chance to "prove" himself worthy of a token spot for the training camp.

It is not hard to see through the smokescreen here.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The losses in 5 of the 6 Super Series games were due largely to goaltender incompetence. It is psychologically deflating for a team when they work hard to generate scoring opportunities only to be subverted by their goalie on the other end allowing goals on routine, easy saves. Tretiak and Trushkov were equally awful in all 6 games.

The goalies were not good, although there were other problems at forward and defense as well. Russia was routinely outshot and outskated. Losing a lot of players, particularly defensemen, to the CHL really hurt them, as well as the decision to release a middling roster for the SS.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The goalies were not good, although there were other problems at forward and defense as well. Russia was routinely outshot and outskated. Losing a lot of players, particularly defensemen, to the CHL really hurt them, as well as the decision to release a middling roster for the SS.

I actually think the CHL has developed Russian defensemen quite well.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I agree with you about defensemen in the CHL. I am happy with what I have seen in Provorov, Shaprizyanov, Sergeev and Boikov. However I was referring to the way in which this exodus has hurt the SS team, because CHLers could not be used continuously.

CHLer Russians are also often difficult to reintegrate into national teams due to the fact that their playing habits and styles are recalibrated in a different playing culture.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I remember the problem we had in early 2000's with goalies at jr level. We were able to fix it with federation heavily focusing on developing goalies. Why can't we do the same for defenders and centres.

It's also very frustrating that our centers are generally poor in the face off circle. And its a serious problem all the way up to Olympic team.

I hate the thought of relying on CHL for this. Certainly not the way to go.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

That is basically what I meant. We have two good ones and that's about it. Tretiak and Trushkov will hopefully see no ice time, but Bragin had to choose one.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
That is basically what I meant. We have two good ones and that's about it. Tretiak and Trushkov will hopefully see no ice time, but Bragin had to choose one.

why had to? why not choose Sidorov or one of the leading goalies in the MHL? why put Tretiak - who struggles at every level (rhetorical question of course)

I am surprised actually, that Trushkov isn't all that good.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I remember the problem we had in early 2000's with goalies at jr level. We were able to fix it with federation heavily focusing on developing goalies. Why can't we do the same for defenders and centres.

I remember Zhelobnyuk and company and not very fondly.

Defensively things might be improving. Sergachev is the best '98. Rubinchik and Alexeev are promising '99s.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I miss the days of having elite defenseman like fetisov, zubov, or gonchar in their prime. Now even Nikulin has fallen off significantly and we are left with undersized Orlov, Antipin.. Hopefully Zadorov works out

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I miss the days of having elite defenseman like fetisov, zubov, or gonchar in their prime. Now even Nikulin has fallen off significantly and we are left with undersized Orlov, Antipin.. Hopefully Zadorov works out
But he won't. Damaged good already.

Same is true for Provorov. Sad that his career is practically over at 18.

All those elite defensemen you mentioned were developed in the Russian system. Now that Russia loses basically all of it's best juniors to Canada we won't see any more top Russian players coming out for years. Guys like Kuznetsov, Tarasenko and Panarin are exceptions because they didn't go to Canada.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
The 1996 of Russian crop don`t look promising at all, only Kaprizov, Polunin, Kraskovski have some interesting flashes and those are mostly 1997 born player either way.
Well Go, go, go Fins, Swedes.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The 1996 of Russian crop don`t look promising at all, only Kaprizov, Polunin, Kraskovski have some interesting flashes and those are mostly 1997 born player either way.

IMO the 1996 players are short on star power, but relatively high on overall quality. One of the deepest teams in recent memory this year.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site

Russia had some better talent like Svechnikov in this age group, but then Svechnikov did something not so smart.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Russia had some better talent like Svechnikov in this age group, but then Svechnikov did something not so smart.

This gets old, stop blaming the kids blame the system. You expect a kid who was 17 at the time to go against what his agent has told him, they are young kids. Neither they or their agents care enough or even look at the success rates of Russians previously. There is nothing you or anyone on these boards can do, we know the problem already.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I've never seen Svechnikov being such uninterested in playing hockey. Even more, I've never seen anyone on Bragin's teams to play that way ever. I really hope everything is fine in the locker room.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves

Svechnikov=Filatov, Semin.

Do you remember even Filatov ? Poor guy.
On other side Polunin seems to be next generation Datsyuk, or one of the very few offense guys who does not such at defense and sometimes even offense like most of the Russian "superstars".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad