WJC-Russia-2016

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Hopefully Polunin isn't overlooked. Another highly skilled small guy, I feel its either him or Vovchenko who will get a spot, but not both. I remember the guy putting up some highlight real goals from the MHL, now producing in the K.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think neither will. I would prefer someone like Nekolenko or Kuzmenko over either of them.

This said, on European ice these small guys can do well.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Just remembered that Vovchenko-Kamenev-Pilipenko line was pretty good at U18 in 2014, at least until Vovchenko got that suspension. And Bragin was a consultant there, iirc.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I think neither will. I would prefer someone like Nekolenko or Kuzmenko over either of them.

This said, on European ice these small guys can do well.

Kuzmenko yes, Nekolenko no. Vovchenko has some serious skill and we've yet to see him line up with other high profile guys. There's a reason Severstal uses him on the PP with Buchnevich and he's pointing at .5ppg. Im almost certain he'll be there. He has the upper hand on Polunin at the very least, because of age, Bragin considers 97s to be "under agers". Having said that, next to Kaprizov, these are the 2 most accomplished players in the KHL at the moment.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Vovchenko has skill but there's plenty of skilled guys here. Russia will need role players.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I dunno. Not convinced such concepts truly exist in Russian coaching circles. Usually lines are pretty balanced.

I'm not convinced such concept as coaching circles truly exist in Russia. :sarcasm: I have an impression everyone is basically on his own and has it's own "system" (c) Bill. For example, iirc, Varnakov had a very clear distinction between Top6 and Bottom6, just like Bill. Last year I had an impression we had some concept of Top9 consisting of Barbashov, Kamenev and Sharov lines, that's why I'm expecting something similar this year.

Kuzmenko yes, Nekolenko no. Vovchenko has some serious skill and we've yet to see him line up with other high profile guys. There's a reason Severstal uses him on the PP with Buchnevich and he's pointing at .5ppg. Im almost certain he'll be there. He has the upper hand on Polunin at the very least, because of age, Bragin considers 97s to be "under agers". Having said that, next to Kaprizov, these are the 2 most accomplished players in the KHL at the moment.

Polunin is LW, so his competition is: Svechnikov, Kaprizov, Vovchenko, Lauta, Afonasyevsky, Zhelezkov, Kuzmenko, Nikolishin + I think I can recall that Nekolenko, Pilipenko and Guryanov played LW on occasion. To me it's hard to imagine that Polunin makes it over those guys.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Would Leo Lazarev be a consideration in goal? Also is Sergachev in consideration? He's probably a first round prospect.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Checked allhockeyru and other sites for info about camp invites and found nothing. Anybody have any news?

Oh, forgot about fhr. Nothing yet.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No list yet, it seems. Piecing together clues. Hearing of blueline invites for Sergeev, Boikov, Zborovsky.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't expect anything big from the camp roster announcment as looks like even doubtful guys like Nikolishin, Fazleyev and Zborovskiy will be there. The only question that is still there for me is if some new guys like Letunov and Poryadin are invited.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Tretiak's results are offensively bad. This is a farce. We're a slight groin tweak away from seeing him on the final roster.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bragin doesn't like the soft types, it seems. That's fine.

Just I'm still worried about the possible lack of creativity aside from Svechnikov and Lazarev. Hope for the best, of course, but i have a bad feeling about this. Although I'm pretty sure I had a similar feeling last year when Scherbak and Tkachyov were cut, so it's no big deal. :)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Amusing interview with Bragin: http://fhr.ru/main/news/card/?id_4=11421

Says Vovchenko still has to serve two tournament games of suspension for prior incidents if he were to play in the tournament, which was a factor. However also notes that he underachieved at SS.

Acknowledges that Tretiak is not in play for #1 or #2, as the primary job will be between Samsonov and Georgiev. Gives politically correct answer about Tretiak making the camp roster due to outplaying Trushkov (which is debatable and only made possible by cutting Krasotkin, of course).

Bragin is handling the politics of this very elegantly, I think.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Just I'm still worried about the possible lack of creativity aside from Svechnikov and Lazarev. Hope for the best, of course, but i have a bad feeling about this. Although I'm pretty sure I had a similar feeling last year when Scherbak and Tkachyov were cut, so it's no big deal. :)

I also sense a lack of offensive explosiveness at forward. Maybe this team will need Guryanov after all, unless he stinks at camp.

I would not mind seeing Kaprizov-Kamenev-Guryanov, even though that's a couple of 97s at wing. Intriguing combo, but if the Kamenev line does not work this team might be in tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad