GDT: WJC Nuge vs Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Liq, i'm pretty sure that you watched the draft lottery show, didn't you? McKenzie clearly stated that the gap between Yakupov and the others closed due to his playoff struggles.

Here it is from McKenzie's final list......

But of the eight scouts who ranked Yakupov No. 1, most of them said the gap between Yakupov and the rest of the field -- it was generally considered in the first half of the season to be fairly wide -- has closed significantly since Yakupov first suffered a knee injury at the World Junior Championship and later sustained a mild shoulder separation and was only average to below average when he returned, especially in Sarnia's first-round playoff loss.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398680

I'd fire any scout that changes their opinion of a player over a 7 game series.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Unbiased point of view? All I see are some ridiculous conclusions based off a small sample size.

Ok, Yakupov has been worthy of the hype and hasn't struggled at all. :rolleyes:
What ridiculous claims? Are you saying that he should be free of criticism?
The second anybody dare criticizes Yakupov, everybody starts freaking out as if he should be immune from any criticism whatsoever.
I never said that he was a bad player or that he has stunk, i'm just saying that he has underperformed in these tournaments for such a highly touted player with an incredible skillset. I don't think that is such an unfair criticism.

So, CupOfOil, just wondering - do you think the Oilers drafted the right kid with Yakupov?

Yes but my point is that it's a bit concerning that he's getting shut down frequently in these games.
I'm just saying that i'm pretty disappointed in his overall performance with Team Russia.
I do think that he'll be a lot better with the Oilers with similarly skilled players so he should be fine.

Oct 15, 2008
Liq, i'm pretty sure that you watched the draft lottery show, didn't you? McKenzie clearly stated that the gap between Yakupov and the others closed due to his playoff struggles.

Here it is from McKenzie's final list......

But of the eight scouts who ranked Yakupov No. 1, most of them said the gap between Yakupov and the rest of the field -- it was generally considered in the first half of the season to be fairly wide -- has closed significantly since Yakupov first suffered a knee injury at the World Junior Championship and later sustained a mild shoulder separation and was only average to below average when he returned, especially in Sarnia's first-round playoff loss.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398680

But this is what you said.........

Many scouts who watched the games stated that Galchenyuk outplayed Yakupov.

Im still waiting for something that says the above. Not that the gap has shrunk between Yak and the rest of the field.

Fact is, 8 scouts chose Yakupov, and only one chose Galchenyuk.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But this is what you said.........

Im still waiting for something that says the above. Not that the gap has shrunk between Yak and the rest of the field.

I remember reading that some scouts were impressed with Galchenyuk's ability to recover from the injury so quickly and play well in the playoffs. Too lazy to find the quotes.
I guess you'll have to take my word for it. :p:
I still think that Yakupov's the better prospect of the two.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
The second anybody dare criticizes Yakupov, everybody starts freaking out as if he should be immune from any criticism whatsoever.
I never said that he was a bad player or that he has stunk, i'm just saying that he has underperformed in these tournaments for such a highly touted player with an incredible skillset. I don't think that is such an unfair criticism.

Yes but my point is that it's a bit concerning that he's getting shut down frequently in these games.
I'm just saying that i'm pretty disappointed in his overall performance with Team Russia.
I do think that he'll be a lot better with the Oilers with similarly skilled players so he should be fine.

I think the problem here is with your expectations.

He's the type of player that needs help to put up numbers.

The good news is that the same traits that make him easy to shut down without help, make him nearly impossible to stop when he has it.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

He hasn't been great but when you compare him to his peers, it's understandable. Team Russia's offense is reliant on stretch passes and opposing teams' defensive lapses. Eliminate both, as Canada did, and you basically shut them down completely. Obviously, this is a coaching problem since none of the Russian forwards have been lighting it up on a consistent basis. How people think Yakupov is to blame for this Pejorative Slured system is beyond me. The effort and skill is there but there's only so much he can do in a position like this.

Oct 15, 2008
I remember reading that some scouts were impressed with Galchenyuk's ability to recover from the injury so quickly and play well in the playoffs. Too lazy to find the quotes.
I guess you'll have to take my word for it. :p:
I still think that Yakupov's the better prospect of the two.

I watched some of those games, and those saying Galchenyuk was all that are greatly exaggerating. Yakupov had the same number of goals and one more point in that series.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Funny thing is Canada shadowed Yak the whole game. Gave him no space. People think that it is only going to get tougher in the NHL. I disagree. When you throw Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Schultz and Yak out on the PP, who do you shadow?

#OilerProblems

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Funny thing is Canada shadowed Yak the whole game. Gave him no space. People think that it is only going to get tougher in the NHL. I disagree. When you throw Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Schultz and Yak out on the PP, who do you shadow?

#OilerProblems

I agree with you, on Russia's WJC team he's got a spotlight on him.
On the Oilers he's just one of a hand full of players that will need to be shutdown.
With him getting break out passes from Schultz, Petry, and Whitney NHL Dmen are going to have their hands full. It makes me think of the same way Hall commands respect in the way he backs them off.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not just against the Canadian team. He has been underwhelming in all the international series since the draft and he disappeared in the OHL playoffs in his draft year. It's an ongoing problem that he has in big games when there isn't a lot of space to work with. It's a concern IMO.

I would like to see just one break out game from him when he takes the bull by the horns and take over a game because he's certainly capable, something to show that he's worthy of a top pick and i haven't seen it yet. When he skated like he did in the 1st today, you can see how many chances that he can create when he has his skating legs. For some reason, he stopped skating after that. He gets frustrated way too easily and i would like to see him fight through that because the challenges are only going to become more daunting at the NHL level.

Yakupov had two goals and five pts in 6 games in the OHL playoffs. I watched every one of those games. To say he disappeared is false. What is true is that Saad had a fantastic series and Saganw was basically able to shut down both Galchenyuk and Yakupov by isolating them and with great goaltending.

There is a reason why he was so dangerous on the pk. He has room. And what I do agree with is that he does get frustrated. This is an issue but the same thing can be said of Hall.

The Canadians and the Russians both shut down Galchenyuk. This is actually not so uncommon in these sort of situations when teams lack depth.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
RNH didn't play juniors last year. Many people thought he'd be the first #1 pick not to make the team out of training camp. And some thought he'd get pushed around in the NHL.

Yet when he played with talented players, his own skills became even more apparent.

Yakupov isn't Ovechkin or Malkin, but if he's playing with the young talent on the Oilers, his talents will be maximized.

Descendent*

You can really see Yakupov's speed and power on the ice. I'm not at all concerned about his production in the tourney.

Oct 15, 2008
I'm sorry,I forgot Mark jankowski!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Michael Ferland
John Gaudreau
Patrick Sieloff
Laurent Brossoit
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
Jon Gillies
Max Reinhart
Patrick Holland
Greg Nemisz
TJ Brodie

I think they will be ok.

Far from having nothing else in the prospect pool.

In fact several of those names are playing in the WJC right now.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Michael Ferland
John Gaudreau
Patrick Sieloff
Laurent Brossoit
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
Jon Gillies
Max Reinhart
Patrick Holland
Greg Nemisz
TJ Brodie

I think they will be ok.

there's also a lot of guys on that list playing quite poorly this year. they're better than they get credit for, but still not good

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Michael Ferland
John Gaudreau
Patrick Sieloff
Laurent Brossoit
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
Jon Gillies
Max Reinhart
Patrick Holland
Greg Nemisz
TJ Brodie

I think they will be ok.

They also have Horak who is a decent player.. Not sure if he is still considered a prospect..
They have decent depth players coming up the system but aside from Bartschi nothing in terms of top line players

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I have seen him in khl and thats miles from the Nhl and im impressed in his shot and positioning, but im not sure hes gonna be a nhl star. If we get a real offer in areas we need help, i thinks better to take that. Nuge,hall and ebs is enough!

I agree . If we could get a number 2 center that is physical and has a good 2 way game you move him

Hartikainen / RNH / Eberle
Hall / ****** / Hemsky

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
I think dealing yak if the offer is good is the best outcome for us, we have the game winners in our team already, we dont need to wait and hope that yak turn out to be one. He has a damn good release, but is invisible to many times. If you cant dominate the wjc in a home team favorite, then i put ??? in his mentality and skills.
I remember another Russian who got shut down very well by Canada the last lockout. His name was Ovenchicken or something???

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I remember another Russian who got shut down very well by Canada the last lockout. His name was Ovenchicken or something???

still had 7 goals in 6 gms that year. and previous year he had 5 goals in 6. For a sniper in Yakupov 1 goal in 11 games.

and i agree with other poster. if we can come across a deal where we get a big Center, id trade Yakupov for a good package.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov is a great player. The Russian team isn't all that good and they're playing a very un-Russian brand of hockey right now. They're not attacking and there's ZERO forecheck. The Russian coaches are trying to win games 1-0 and 2-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad