GDT: WJC Nuge vs Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I will take a somewhat candid interview with the potential for legitimate entertainment over the litany of rehearsed rhetoric that players these days seem to have beaten into them 8 days a week.

Y'know, we had a real full team effort there. Y'know, everybody gave 100% and left it all on the ice y'know we had a game plan, and we executed.

Once he meets Ryan Smyth, he'll pick that skill in no time

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just in his demeanour alone -- he seems a little petulant and immature. The way he deals with the media is completely different than Nuge, Eberle, Hall, etc. I get that he's young, that's why I mostly look at the differences between him and RNH since they're both #1 picks, similar ages etc. But there is a world of difference between the two.

I don't know about him being immature, i worry about his immaturity on the ice more than his dealings with the media. I just think that he's a fun loving guy who likes to have fun with the media.
TBH, Yakupov is a breath of fresh air compared to all the robotic interviews that most of these kids due nowadays. I think having some personality on this team to balance out the politically correct group is a nice balance.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
I don't know about him being immature, i worry about his immaturity on the ice more than his dealings with the media. I just think that he's a fun loving guy who likes to have fun with the media.
TBH, Yakupov is a breath of fresh air compared to all the robotic interviews that most of these kids due nowadays. I think having some personality on this team to balance out the politically correct group is a nice balance.

I agree. Hall and Eberle are decent interviews - not Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick good, but certainly not Ryan Smyth bad. RNH sounds a lot like Crosby did his first couple of years - talks for 5 minutes without really saying anything. He's actually a pretty terrible interview - seems so scared to say anything.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree. Hall and Eberle are decent interviews - not Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick good, but certainly not Ryan Smyth bad. RNH sounds a lot like Crosby did his first couple of years - talks for 5 minutes without really saying anything. He's actually a pretty terrible interview - seems so scared to say anything.

I actually enjoy Hall and Eberle's interviews but they are more hockey guys than jokey, fun loving guys. Agreed on RNH, Petry and Dubnyk are kind of the same way also. I would throw Horcoff in that Smyth group as well, just very cliche. I like Whitney's interviews, he's one of those "calls it how he sees it" type of guys, i like the honesty.
I love guys like Ovechkin and Subban. Yes, hockey is their livelihood but it's also a game and it should be fun so it's good to see guys who just like to have fun. Love the candid on ice celebrations also as long as it's not taunting the opponent too much.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yak has been pretty average this tournament. I agree with that, he definitely hasn't dominated like many including myself wanted to see.

Also, like I said "Not just in this thread" when talking about this. There has been plenty of "panic" and "silly" going around. Like I said, maybe it got mixed in together because there has been so much negativity (and maybe the main board is a bad place to be). Just getting tired talking about it and gave up, that's all. Nothing against the intelligent posters who are talking about Yak (I probably agree with most of what they are saying).

And again, above all of that. Just having some fun so don't let it bother you :nod:

He hasn't been dominant.. meh. He's a world-class skater, has a world-class one-timer, and is a good passer. What's the problem?

On the oilers, with rnh and schultz, the points will come.

Mark me down as 'not worried'.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
He hasn't been dominant.. meh. He's a world-class skater, has a world-class one-timer, and is a good passer. What's the problem?

On the oilers, with rnh and schultz, the points will come.

Mark me down as 'not worried'.

There is no problem. That's good to hear as I'm not worried about him either. Watching his games his skills are so obvious, going to be fun to watch him join our team once we get a season.

I think you may have misread my post as I have been telling a lot of people there is no reason to worry.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Honestly theres some over analysis on what a few games in a tournament means. Yakupov is fine, a beautiful talent, hard worker, and can make something happen in an instant. Has all the gifts, great shot, great puck handler.

Limited sample stuff like this means zilch. It means MPS was a valid 10th pick if you believe the notion that the Junior tourney means so much. I think a lot of scouts get fooled as well.

Fact of the matter is Yak is an extremely gifted player with not much to prove at the Junior level.

ANYBODY that saw this guy play in Sherwood Park last summer is already sold. Kid does everything supremely well.

Bingo, anybody can have a good tourney, anyone can have a bad one. Sean Couturier had a pretty bad one IIRC, now he's probably the second or third best player right now from the 2011 draft class.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Honestly theres some over analysis on what a few games in a tournament means. Yakupov is fine, a beautiful talent, hard worker, and can make something happen in an instant. Has all the gifts, great shot, great puck handler.

Limited sample stuff like this means zilch. It means MPS was a valid 10th pick if you believe the notion that the Junior tourney means so much. I think a lot of scouts get fooled as well.

Fact of the matter is Yak is an extremely gifted player with not much to prove at the Junior level.

ANYBODY that saw this guy play in Sherwood Park last summer is already sold. Kid does everything supremely well.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It's paining me to see so many Yakupov proposals in the trade forum. It ain't no coincidence that these proposals are popping up during the wjc in which Yak hasn't been dominant. What's even more frustrating is that it's mostly Oiler fans making these proposals.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Agreed wholeheartedly. It's paining me to see so many Yakupov proposals in the trade forum. It ain't no coincidence that these proposals are popping up during the wjc in which Yak hasn't been dominant. What's even more frustrating is that it's mostly Oiler fans making these proposals.

Yeah this is what I meant by other threads in my post above. It was very obvious to me that people were panicking just because of this tournament. If you weren't one of those people then don't worry about it.

Replacement has said it best.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Yak looked amazing in that game even if he didnt get statistical output. his speed, agility and hands were by far the best on the ice. he's scary.

RNH is a whole different set of skills. he has a "one-speed" sort of Datsyuk plodding-thinking game going on that i like. he makes awesome decisions that keeps plays alive and is really smart on the ice. cant wait for him to fill out a little as he becomes an actual adult.

the Oilers are going to have some tough decisions in the future.

my money is still on them tossing Yak when the big cash comes because he's not a "proper" Canadian boy and will show too much "attitude".

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
The yak discussion is hilirius. if you want to trade him then you are a hater:help:.
If we can have seguin for yak+ first 2013 and 2014 i do it in a sec. Its about have a competing team in all areas and not collect wingers like squirrels. We cant expect to sign good ufas when most of them have oilers on the no trade list.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The yak discussion is hilirius. if you want to trade him then you are a hater:help:.
If we can have seguin for yak+ first 2013 and 2014 i do it in a sec. Its about have a competing team in all areas and not collect wingers like squirrels. We cant expect to sign good ufas when most of them have oilers on the no trade list.

Had them on a no trade list. Times they are a changin. Ask Schultz.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Call me a homer if you will, but trading an 18 year old first overall with a TONNE of passion for the game for a 20 year old 2nd overall (who has impressed but not dominated) is already leaning a bit toward "reactionary" IMO. Adding two firsts on top of that *just* to get the asset you want in the position you want is bordering on lunatic, especially given where those two firsts could end up.

We can certainly trade Yak when the time is right... and the time is WRONG right now for a host of obvious reasons (for starters even opening the conversation would cause suspicion, so you are starting the negotiation with a foot in a hole).

But I agree, suggesting it doesn't make you a hater (it would make me question whether it was a well thought out strategy, or just based on emotion)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

lol And what is Seguin gonna do? He's not even playing center on the Bruins so to expect him to step in right away and perform well is silly. If we're trading Yak + 2 first round picks, I expect a Pietrangelo/Karlsson or Giroux/Toews type player in return. But for Seguin??? Is that you Burkie?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yak + 2 firsts(likely lottery picks) for Seguin? Seriously?

Only way that makes any rational sense is if you've analyzed Seguin's worth entirely on the hype while rarely watching him play. He's not worth that... at all.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
lol And what is Seguin gonna do? He's not even playing center on the Bruins so to expect him to step in right away and perform well is silly. If we're trading Yak + 2 first round picks, I expect a Pietrangelo/Karlsson or Giroux/Toews type player in return. But for Seguin??? Is that you Burkie?

Sequin was not playing center on the Bruins simply because of the depth of that team, and their philosphy for developing players.

Sequin is one of the leading scorers in the Swiss League this year, and for years to come will be one of the best centers in the NHL. Sequin = Hall >>> Yakupov.

The 2012 Oilers draft, given their draft position, will go do as one of their worst yet. Yakupov, though a good player, was trending down and should never have gone 1st over all. He reminds me a lot of MPS; lots of speed and drive ... but no finish. Long term, he should fit in as a solid 2nd line winger, behind Eberle. Unfortunately, with the 1st pick overall we should of had a home run like Galchenyuk.

Unless it's a top 5 pick, the Oilers have no clue now to draft (Eberle was the nut that even a blind squirrel finds now and then). Then again, they have no clue how to make a trade (Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, etc. etc. etc.), sign a free agent (and Schulz picked the Oilers .... not the other way around), sign a decent contract (Horcoff, Khabi etc.). I wonder who KLowe will chose to take the blame next ... perhaps the cleaning staff.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Yak + 2 firsts(likely lottery picks) for Seguin? Seriously?

Only way that makes any rational sense is if you've analyzed Seguin's worth entirely on the hype while rarely watching him play. He's not worth that... at all.

I'd do that trade as Sequin >>> Yak; and assuming the next few 1st picks will be in the 8 to 15 range ... and given this management group's track record, can assure you this team couldn't turn them into real NHL players.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sequin was not playing center on the Bruins simply because of the depth of that team, and their philosphy for developing players.

Sequin is one of the leading scorers in the Swiss League this year, and for years to come will be one of the best centers in the NHL. Sequin = Hall >>> Yakupov.

The 2012 Oilers draft, given their draft position, will go do as one of their worst yet. Yakupov, though a good player, was trending down and should never have gone 1st over all. He reminds me a lot of MPS; lots of speed and drive ... but no finish. Long term, he should fit in as a solid 2nd line winger, behind Eberle. Unfortunately, with the 1st pick overall we should of had a home run like Galchenyuk.

Unless it's a top 5 pick, the Oilers have no clue now to draft (Eberle was the nut that even a blind squirrel finds now and then). Then again, they have no clue how to make a trade (Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, etc. etc. etc.), sign a free agent (and Schulz picked the Oilers .... not the other way around), sign a decent contract (Horcoff, Khabi etc.). I wonder who KLowe will chose to take the blame next ... perhaps the cleaning staff.

Keep telling yourself that.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Mxkev.gif

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen

Wow that i call overvalue yakupov! With a lost season the 2013 pick wouldnt be that high, and 2014 with a stellar 2 c and some talent d taking the next step, we reach the playoffs and that pick isnt a big lost, im pretty sure that boston fans wouldnt take my proposalI hadnt protested if we had picked seguin for hall, both gonna reach star level in a very talent entrydraft.I understand from your nick that you just bought you a yak jersey.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
Sequin is one of the leading scorers in the Swiss League this year

So is Omark

Wow. Guess you'll be eating some heaping helpings of crow over the next couple of years.

Won't argue any of that - the statue people wanted to erect for Stu I think was a bit premature. At least until some of those guys make the jump and succeed in the NHL.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd do that trade as Sequin >>> Yak; and assuming the next few 1st picks will be in the 8 to 15 range ... and given this management group's track record, can assure you this team couldn't turn them into real NHL players.

Who is this Sequin guy? Judging by the name, he may be Seguin's flashier cousin. We should trade yakupov for him instead, he might have similiar talent with a modicum of grit and courage in his game that Seguin currently lacks.

Of course, the Oilers probably wouldn't do it. They can't even take the best player in the draft at number 1. So we are stuck with Yakupov, who is so clearly not a homerun like Galenychuk and has no potential as a player #oilerproblems

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I know I needed to stay off the main board because of all the negativity but I didn't think this many people on the Oilers board would actually believe that we should trade Yak and that apparently he is the worst of all our 1st overalls already.

If you have watched him play you can tell he is the one that should have gone first overall...not worried one bit about him. He will be amazing in our system with Hall, Ebs, Nuge, and Schultz. It would be silly to trade him now. I also have a lot of respect for Krueger and I think he will be a very good coach for us and help Yak thrive here.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Yak hasn't looked good..
but lets be honest.. Russia has sucked and looked out of sync all tournament.

Why even talk about trading him? Talk about overreaction. Hopefully we will get to see him later this month in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad