GDT: WJC Nuge vs Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
It's not just against the Canadian team. He has been underwhelming in all the international series since the draft and he disappeared in the OHL playoffs in his draft year. It's an ongoing problem that he has in big games when there isn't a lot of space to work with. It's a concern IMO.

He was injured/recovering from injury.

Oh yeah, and getting 4 assists against Canada in 2012 is apparently "disappearing in big games."

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's not just against the Canadian team. He has been underwhelming in all the international series since the draft and he disappeared in the OHL playoffs in his draft year. It's an ongoing problem that he has in big games when there isn't a lot of space to work with. It's a concern IMO.

I would like to see just one break out game from him when he takes the bull by the horns and take over a game because he's certainly capable, something to show that he's worthy of a top pick and i haven't seen it yet. When he skated like he did in the 1st today, you can see how many chances that he can create when he has his skating legs. For some reason, he stopped skating after that. He gets frustrated way too easily and i would like to see him fight through that because the challenges are only going to become more daunting at the NHL level.

You do realize that for Yakupov to do so, he would be deviating from the gameplan his coach set out, regardless of how crappy it is. As much as you want him to do so, Russian hockey isn't like Canadian hockey. Hell, Euro hockey is extremely disciplined when it comes to systems, line changes etc etc. You never know what's going on with the Russians-for all we know, Yak may know that deviation will put him in the dog house.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You can see that the skills are there it's just that he didn't get any bounces going his way tonight.

Stamkos didn't do that in the world junior tournament either.

It's a tough tournament for shooters given their lack of chemistry with linemates and the intensity of the defense being played.

Need to remember that Tyler Seguin was non-existent against Taylor Hall in the OHL playoffs as well.

RNH wasn't too great in his last WHL playoff series either. Same for Stamkos in his last OHL series IIRC.

This is no place for logical posts such as these.

Yakupov bad Rabble Rabble.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Seems like more excuses. Galchenyuk was coming off of a more serious injury and according to many in the know, outplayed Yakupov in that series.

5p for Yakupov while playing through an injury.
4p for Galchenyuk after recovering from an injury but not having played a whole season.

Just more excuses, though amirite? :sarcasm:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
5p for Yakupov while playing through an injury.
4p for Galchenyuk after recovering from an injury but not having played a whole season.

Just excuses, though amirite? :sarcasm:

Stats are only a small part of it. Many scouts who watched the games stated that Galchenyuk outplayed Yakupov. Even McKenzie made a mention of the gap closing due to Yakupov's playoff struggles.
I'm not trying to claim that Yakupov isn't going to be a great NHLer but the facts are that he has failed to show up in big games more times than not.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
One thing that I'm more concerned about is which centreman does Nail Yakupov play along with in the future.The kid deserves better than Sam Gagner.
Nobody 'deserves' any spot until they show they earned it. (except Schultz because he could have gone to any team but chose us)

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Yaks looked decent in a system that was clearly not working at all.
He had a few dangerous sniffs and if not for sticks in the lane or a stick check he would have had one in the third, made a nice give and go and got into the slot.
He was playing set up man on their PP and anytime he got into a shooting position the D man closed him down, pretty clear the Canadian MO was shut down Yakupov.
The guy can fly. He looked dangerous while PKing even. It's too bad him and Grigorenko couldn't make anything work because with a play making C or even a great puck moving D Yakupov will be downright scary. I can't help but think of the way Hall backs off Dmen when he's flying down the wing, and it looks like Yaks is as good if not a better skater than Hall is.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Stats are only a small part of it. Many scouts who watched the games stated that Galchenyuk outplayed Yakupov. Even McKenzie made a mention of the gap closing due to Yakupov's playoff struggles.
I'm not trying to claim that Yakupov isn't going to be a great NHLer but the facts are that he has failed to show up in big games more times than not.

So what is your explanation on the hat trick he got in the bronze medal game in the u18 tournament and the 4 assists he got against Canada in the 2012 WJC?

Oct 15, 2008

Link?

Hope you arent calling HF posters scouts.:help:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So what is your explanation on the hat trick he got in the bronze medal game in the u18 tournament and the 4 assists he got against Canada in the 2012 WJC?

He was terrific in the U18 without a doubt but that was a long time ago now.
He was good in the game against Canada but Kuznetsov was a much bigger standout IMO.
He has had some moments but has been largely disappointing on the big stage and this is over about a 20 game sample size now. He hasn't stunk but he has been subpar for the most part.
I'm just trying to bring an unbiased point of view in a largely biased thread.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006

This post isn't directed 100% at you. You just kind of trigger this thought.

People seem to be a lot more critical of Yakupov than any other player right now. No one is talking about Huberdeau's stock falling....and despite getting an assist yesterday, Galchenyuk was worse against the Canadians than Yakupov was today. He's collected his points in blowouts.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Galchenyuk assisted on the US goal, but for 2 periods against Canada he was invisible. I didn't watch the third period so couldn't comment on that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Link?

Hope you arent calling HF posters scouts.:help:

McKenzie stated that a lot of the scouts he polled indicated that the gap shrunk after that playoff series and that Gally's stock rose. I recall that a few other scouting services called out Yakupov for his playoff performance as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

People seem to be a lot more critical of Yakupov than any other player right now. No one is talking about Huberdeau's stock falling....and despite getting an assist yesterday, Galchenyuk was worse against the Canadians than Yakupov was today. He's collected his points in blowouts.

Galchenyuk wasn't that great either, Huberdeau as well and Grigorenko has been underwhelming also but this thread is about Yakupov, not the others. Just because others struggled, doesn't mean that Yakupov didn't.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

Agreed, Yakupov was way better against us than Gally was despite Gally having much less pressure and attention on him.

Oct 15, 2008
McKenzie stated that a lot of the scouts he polled indicated that the gap shrunk after that playoff series and that Gally's stock rose. I recall that a few other scouting services called out Yakupov for his playoff performance as well.

I guess Ill just have to take your word for it then.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I guess Ill just have to take your word for it then.

Liq, i'm pretty sure that you watched the draft lottery show, didn't you? McKenzie clearly stated that the gap between Yakupov and the others closed due to his playoff struggles.

Here it is from McKenzie's final list......

But of the eight scouts who ranked Yakupov No. 1, most of them said the gap between Yakupov and the rest of the field -- it was generally considered in the first half of the season to be fairly wide -- has closed significantly since Yakupov first suffered a knee injury at the World Junior Championship and later sustained a mild shoulder separation and was only average to below average when he returned, especially in Sarnia's first-round playoff loss.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398680

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
He was terrific in the U18 without a doubt but that was a long time ago now.
So were the OHL playoffs but that's not the point. You said he has a tendency to disappear in big games. That is false based on the examples I've given.
He was good in the game against Canada but Kuznetsov was a much bigger standout IMO.
And what does Kuznetsov have to do with anything? Yakupov was an underage player in that tourney iirc, so I'm pretty sure he didn't get much icetime.
He has had some moments but has been largely disappointing on the big stage and this is over about a 20 game sample size now. He hasn't stunk but he has been subpar for the most part.
20 games? So that would have to include his KHL games no? So then him being sub-par for that long would be absolutely incorrect.
I'm just trying to bring an unbiased point of view in a largely biased thread.

Unbiased point of view? All I see are some ridiculous conclusions based off a small sample size.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I do not look forward to the future Oiler-famers laying the smackdown on the Canucks for the next decade. :cry:

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I was completely satisfied with Yakupov's game today despite getting no points-- he's such a determined player. You can see when he gets the puck he gets the fire in him, and he is a tough guy to contain. He looks a lot like Ovechkin when he takes the puck across the blue line and tries to open the defenders up to get a shooting lane. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch, especially with the Oilers powerplay. The Russians weren't able to make use of his exceptional shot on the PP. I don't like him working the half wall with the puck, it needs to be controlled on the opposite wall and worked over to him. I know Nuge likes the same side as him on the PP, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Hemsky with him first. We've been saying Hemsky needs a Yakupov for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad