GDT: WJC Nuge vs Yak

Status
Not open for further replies.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
How is it whenever someone has a contradictory word to say about Yakupov you are right there to say they are "panicking".
Do you know what "panic" means?

No you're right....I have no idea what panic means. Thanks for showing me the light :shakehead

First off, just a joke...calm down.

Second, I have had multiple posts talking about a lot of (what I believe) are overreactions about Yakupov's play this tournament. When there are people worrying and jumping to conclusions over a small sample of games then that is the definition of panicking.

I have tried a few times to explain why he might be playing like he is but those posts usually go unnoticed a long with the other posters doing the same. So I have resorted to sarcasm, it's much easier and apparently draws a lot more attention.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
still had 7 goals in 6 gms that year. and previous year he had 5 goals in 6. For a sniper in Yakupov 1 goal in 11 games.

and i agree with other poster. if we can come across a deal where we get a big Center, id trade Yakupov for a good package.

I'm fine with his KHL production. Players who can actually produce points and ungimp our secondary scoring is more important than The Incredible Hulk as our center.

You guys throwing Yak under the bus for a one off tournament is laughable.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I'm fine with his KHL production. Players who can actually produce points and ungimp our secondary scoring is more important than The Incredible Hulk as our center.

To be fair... as it has come to my attention I may have been a little harsh on some people. There are a lot of people who are being realistic in this thread and just expected more than they are getting right now which is understandable.

However, there are plenty of people who seem to legitimately believe that Yak's stock has dropped and we should have picked someone else. This is silly, the former is not.

(not just in this thread)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
To be fair... as it has come to my attention I may have been a little harsh on some people. There are a lot of people who are being realistic in this thread and just expected more than they are getting right now which is understandable.
Yakupov has been pretty average so far. That said, there's still time for him to change the way history records this tournament.

However, there are plenty of people who seem to legitimately believe that Yak's stock has dropped and we should have picked someone else. This is silly, the former is not.
Plenty? I haven't seen one person saying the Oilers picked the wrong guy.
In fact CupofOil (the guy taking the most heat here for speaking the truth) has been clear in saying that he doesn't believe that.

Maybe ease up on your use of the words "panic" and "silly" when you run into a poster with a different opinion.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I liked Zharkov's play. Just throwing it out there. He played physical, and created some things in the offensive zone. The penalty he took on Nugent-Hopkins might have just saved a goal.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Yakupov has been pretty average so far. That said, there's still time for him to change the way history records this tournament.

Plenty? I haven't seen one person saying the Oilers picked the wrong guy.
In fact CupofOil (the guy taking the most heat here for speaking the truth) has been clear in saying that he doesn't believe that.

Maybe ease up on your use of the words "panic" and "silly" when you run into a poster with a different opinion.

Yak has been pretty average this tournament. I agree with that, he definitely hasn't dominated like many including myself wanted to see.

Also, like I said "Not just in this thread" when talking about this. There has been plenty of "panic" and "silly" going around. Like I said, maybe it got mixed in together because there has been so much negativity (and maybe the main board is a bad place to be). Just getting tired talking about it and gave up, that's all. Nothing against the intelligent posters who are talking about Yak (I probably agree with most of what they are saying).

And again, above all of that. Just having some fun so don't let it bother you :nod:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yak has been pretty average this tournament. I agree with that, he definitely hasn't dominated like many including myself wanted to see.

Also, like I said "Not just in this thread" when talking about this. There has been plenty of "panic" and "silly" going around. Like I said, maybe it got mixed in together because there has been so much negativity (and maybe the main board is a bad place to be). Just getting tired talking about it and gave up, that's all. Nothing against the intelligent posters who are talking about Yak (I probably agree with most of what they are saying).

And again, above all of that. Just having some fun so don't let it bother you :nod:

A lot of Yakupov's mediocre play in my opinion has to do with the system he is made to be playing.

People getting mad at him for floating and always looking for the big pass and such, but really thats is the Russian calling card. That isn't yak being stupid and making dumb plays, its him doing what he is told.

You see the same thing with guys liek Kovi, Ovechkin, Datsyuk etc every time they put on a russian sweater.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
A lot of Yakupov's mediocre play in my opinion has to do with the system he is made to be playing.

People getting mad at him for floating and always looking for the big pass and such, but really thats is the Russian calling card. That isn't yak being stupid and making dumb plays, its him doing what he is told.

You see the same thing with guys liek Kovi, Ovechkin, Datsyuk etc every time they put on a russian sweater.

A agree, that is definitely part of what I have been saying. The system they are playing is a big part of it and it shows in their games. Yak is still leading their team in points with 4 pts in 4 games...that is definitely the result of the coaches defense first system which the players are playing. This Russian team has a lot of firepower and they are one of the lowest scoring teams in the tournament.

JA

It's not that Yakupov has struggled in just one tournament. He was very ineffective in the Canada-Russia Challenge this summer, and looked quite frustrated in the Subway Series in November. Every time he has played on the international stage this year, he has looked dreadful. I've been hoping for one great performance from him thus far, but there have been none.

I am still hoping for the best. His production in the KHL should preserve some optimism in Oilers fans, but in the 15+ international games he has played since the summer, he has been very disappointing. Of course, with the right linemates, he could still thrive in the NHL next year by just relying on his skills alone. At the moment, he doesn't seem like one who can carry the entire team on his back with a single dominant performance, though. This can change, but I think he needs one of his coaches to steer him in the right direction and guide his development. He possesses skills that just can't be taught, but his overall approach to the game needs some work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Yakupov has still had some pretty good chances even if he's not producing. I'm not worried, but it would be nice to see him score some goals already. The kid would have been better off just playing in the NHL instead of dealing with the Sarnia bs, going from the KHL to the Super Series, to the KHL, to the WJHC. Kind of a weird year for him so far.

I was happy this morning though. Nuge with 3 points, some good chances for Yakupov and a win for Canada. :nod:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
It's not that Yakupov has struggled in just one tournament. He was very ineffective in the Canada-Russia Challenge this summer, and looked quite frustrated in the Subway Series in November. Every time he has played on the international stage this year, he has looked dreadful. I've been hoping for one great performance from him thus far, but there have been none.

I am still hoping for the best. His production in the KHL should preserve some optimism in Oilers fans, but in the 15+ international games he has played since the summer, he has been very disappointing. Of course, with the right linemates, he could still thrive in the NHL next year by just relying on his skills alone. At the moment, he doesn't seem like one who can carry the entire team on his back with a single dominant performance, though. This can change, but I think he needs one of his coaches to steer him in the right direction and guide his development. He possesses skills that just can't be taught, but his overall approach to the game needs some work.

Aside from a crappy team, coaching and being shut down. I think captaincy may be an issue for him, on the international stage anyway. I don't think he is suited for the pressure of it, he always seems awkward during interviews and media attention, especially negative attention this WJC around that misinterpreted interview. He'd be better off with an A.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Aside from a crappy team, coaching and being shut down. I think captaincy may be an issue for him, on the international stage anyway. I don't think he is suited for the pressure of it, he always seems awkward during interviews and media attention, especially negative attention this WJC around that misinterpreted interview. He'd be better off with an A.

I agree with pretty much all of that. On another note, Nuge is handling the captaincy very well.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008

Agree. It's the system this Russia team plays.

Here's what I saw after watching them 3 games in this tourney:
- Forward carries puck in with speed and gain blue line as much as possible, do not pass once getting to red line(probably not wanting neutral zone turnovers, and believe they've enough skill/speed to gain zone most of time on big ice)
- If puck carrier has no speed or boxed in, then make short pass for give n go between red line and blue line to gain zone
- Never shoot the puck in, unless going for line change

- Once gaining zone, try beat d 1 on 1 and get to the net (if no open teammate available for a pass), if not able to, plan B is to use the opposing Dman as screen for screen shot
- Plan C is to carry it deep then make a play (even if they lose puck, it's deep in opponent zone and limits the opponent chances of a quick counter attack)

Every Russian forward follows that, not just Yakupov, so they are all prone to losing puck deep in the opponent zone if the opponent plays sound defense. And if you are Yakupov, you are dealing with the opponent's top defensive fwd/d unit, which means it's going to be tough go for Yakupov's line during even strength most of the game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Honestly theres some over analysis on what a few games in a tournament means. Yakupov is fine, a beautiful talent, hard worker, and can make something happen in an instant. Has all the gifts, great shot, great puck handler.

Limited sample stuff like this means zilch. It means MPS was a valid 10th pick if you believe the notion that the Junior tourney means so much. I think a lot of scouts get fooled as well.

Fact of the matter is Yak is an extremely gifted player with not much to prove at the Junior level.

ANYBODY that saw this guy play in Sherwood Park last summer is already sold. Kid does everything supremely well.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree with you, on Russia's WJC team he's got a spotlight on him.
On the Oilers he's just one of a hand full of players that will need to be shutdown.
With him getting break out passes from Schultz, Petry, and Whitney NHL Dmen are going to have their hands full. It makes me think of the same way Hall commands respect in the way he backs them off.

You're bang on with this. Yak is an excellent transition player and only needs a decent breakout to leave defenders in his fumes. He's pretty hard to cover and even though Canada threw a blanket on him he still was getting chances.

Of the star Oilers Hall and Yak will be the hardest to shutdown in tight checking games. They'll be the Messier type guys that can just take intensity to another level and can't be contained. Physically these two will always find a way to get to the net with nothing stopping it.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Yakupov has still had some pretty good chances even if he's not producing. I'm not worried, but it would be nice to see him score some goals already. The kid would have been better off just playing in the NHL instead of dealing with the Sarnia bs, going from the KHL to the Super Series, to the KHL, to the WJHC. Kind of a weird year for him so far.

I was happy this morning though. Nuge with 3 points, some good chances for Yakupov and a win for Canada. :nod:

Yak was dangerous a number of times, while the rest of his team looked pretty average against Canada. All one can ask for under the circumstances.

I agree he has had a bizarre year. My head would still be spinning doing that. Never mind he's been Captain of two of those teams as a teenager.

He'll be a better player for it, but its a bit of a write off stats wise compared to having a solid season of hockey in one league with no international travel tourneys.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
RNH has handled it extremely well, but he is tremendously composed and mature. Yakupov, with all due respect and sympathy, still has alot of room for growth -- just seeing how he's handled the media, the way he has conducted himself, well... :dunno:. I am sure he will be fine with the right guidance and some years of NHL life to adjust.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
RNH has handled it extremely well, but he is tremendously composed and mature. Yakupov, with all due respect and sympathy, still has alot of room for growth -- just seeing how he's handled the media, the way he has conducted himself, well... :dunno:. I am sure he will be fine with the right guidance and some years of NHL life to adjust.

Not sure what you mean by this. There was the "Canada plays dirty" comment (which the media thought was a huge deal for some reason) but other than that, I haven't found anything wrong with his demeanor.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Not sure what you mean by this. There was the "Canada plays dirty" comment (which the media thought was a huge deal for some reason) but other than that, I haven't found anything wrong with his demeanor.

Just in his demeanour alone -- he seems a little petulant and immature. The way he deals with the media is completely different than Nuge, Eberle, Hall, etc. I get that he's young, that's why I mostly look at the differences between him and RNH since they're both #1 picks, similar ages etc. But there is a world of difference between the two.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
Just in his demeanour alone -- he seems a little petulant and immature. The way he deals with the media is completely different than Nuge, Eberle, Hall, etc. I get that he's young, that's why I mostly look at the differences between him and RNH since they're both #1 picks, similar ages etc. But there is a world of difference between the two.

I will take a somewhat candid interview with the potential for legitimate entertainment over the litany of rehearsed rhetoric that players these days seem to have beaten into them 8 days a week.

Y'know, we had a real full team effort there. Y'know, everybody gave 100% and left it all on the ice y'know we had a game plan, and we executed.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yakupov is a live wire entertainer on and off the ice in pro sport entertainment. The kind of personality that rakes in money, attention, quotes, and remains talked about.

Personally I prefer RNH because thats the kind of behavior I'm used to. But in terms of marketing most any team wants a Yakupov around. The Oilers will do very little to tame this act nor should they. Yak's a personality, a character. With a pretty damned good sense of humor. We take just about everything too seriously on this continent.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think captaincy is an issue for Yakupov. He seems like the personality who doesn't want to talk to media (he always looks awkward doing so) and would rather just play hockey. He also seems like someone who would over think being a captain and become plagued by it rather than be natural about the job. I think he'd make a fine A but C puts him into uncomfortable territory and I think that affects his game. Just my 2 cents.

Then you have people jumping down your throat because of the wonderful Canadian media misinterpreting an interview in another language. This tourney just seems like a **** time for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad