WJC 2016 Discussion (seven Coyote prospects on final rosters)

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Leaf fans are "protecting" their player but everyone has been telling them for months that his game doesn't translate directly to the NHL. He is going to have to add strength and play a simpler game at times instead of trying to deke around the entire opposition. Doesn't make him a bad prospect. He has the same development plan as Domi. I think he will be a star player.

It's a fantastic tournament but the hype train has left the station. A game ago Perlini had played his way onto the top line. Now people are questioning his selection and why he shouldn't be the 13th forward now. Give me a break.

It's a 19 year olds tournament and Team Canada's best players are 18. Guess what? Expect peaks and valleys. That's how this tournament works.

Oh absolutely, Marner is a fantastic prospect, some people just take things so seriously. A bunch of leaf fans just feel the need to take away from other players to try and up-talk their prospect.

I have no doubt that he will adapt to play an NHL style game. He has all the talent in the world.

Strome has impressed me a ton with the way he has stepped up. He is Canada's best player and after his less than inspiring playoffs last year, its great to see him step up on the biggest stage of his career

As a 19 year old and #6 pick though, Virtanen looks absolutely brutal. I imagine that Isle fans and super disappointing with Dal Colle as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Having a small following on HF has its perks. Don't have to deal with people being obnoxious about pumping Coyotes prospects' tires. I don't know how the reasonable Leafs fans deal with it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Having a small following on HF has its perks. Don't have to deal with people being obnoxious about pumping Coyotes prospects' tires. I don't know how the reasonable Leafs fans deal with it.

It almost makes you want the hate the prospect. That's unfortunate.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Marner and Strome are doing all they can with an under-performing supporting cast so far in that tournament.

The lines are not right but perhaps the coach will finally find a combination that works. That would be the best scenario for Canada.

I am just wondering if this is simply not a very talented roster and some guys are just a bit out of their depth there. Some individual plays are really hockey immature but that's what this tournament is about too.

Anyway it is also a tournament that really starts with the elimination games and the first week is quickly forgotten from that point onwards.

On a side note, I have really liked Timo Meier for the Swiss.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Crouse - Strome - Konecny

rt suggested it and I had been thinking about it. Crouse has played well on that line and Konecny's speed, motor and skill would seem to be a great fit.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Marner is super creative. Strome isn't as visually appealing but his name is all over the scoresheet.

I laughed when there were some who called Strome's goal today as "lucky". What some view as luck, others view as skill I guess.

Strome's sees the game a few steps ahead of most. If you watch him real close he usually goes where the puck ends up. The more I see him the more I like him.

Virtanen is a total waste of Strome's abilities. The only Strome shifts in the offensive zone that didn't lead to excellent offensive chances were the ones in which Virtanen got the puck. When he had the puck, he doesn't pass. He just tried to either dipsey doodle, or bull his way through, and either way, he just turned the puck over. Many of the brilliant chances generated that failed to result in goals, were Strome setting Virtanen up with golden opportunities that Virtanen just whiffed on. And that's when he managed to actually put himself in the proper position. Virtanen is a line killer. They need to replace him with Konecny or Marner ASAP.

Crouse does work well on that line, though. He doesn't have much offensive talent but he's smart, unselfish, and is an effective straight line player who fore checks very well. I like that with Strome and a talented winger like Marner or Konecny. That should be Canada's number one line.

Oh and Quenneville has been a travesty, as well. That should be Canada's 4th line that get almost no ice time at all: Quenneville-Stephens-Virtanen. Actually, relegate Quenneville to 13th and give Chartier a promotion. Go with:

Crouse-Strome-Konecny
Perlini-Barazal-Marner
Beauvillier-Point-Gauthier
Chartier-Stephens-Virtanen
Quenneville

Virtanen has not played well. I think the reason they took Marner off that line was because he hangs onto the puck and tries to do it all himself. I still think you will see Marner and Strome together soon.

Last edited:

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Strome's sees the game a few steps ahead of most. If you watch him real close he usually goes where the puck ends up. The more I see him the more I like him.

Virtanen has not played well. I think the reason they took Marner off that line was because he hangs onto the puck and tries to do it all himself. I still think you will see Marner and Strome together soon.
I agree. But they need to settle on their lines soon so they can build some chemistry instead of switching it up every game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dvorak has a goal, primary assist in the first period. Swiss being routed 6-0.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Dvorak has a goal, primary assist in the first period. Swiss being routed 6-0.

You can tell he's used to having more time in the OHL. Holds onto the puck for just that extra second. Similar problem Marner is having in some regards

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Good!

And Canada barely beat them.

Yea this hasn't been our best showing for sure. Canada looks like they have the skill but no chemistry and too much individualism. But Strome is doing well. I can't imagine how much better he would be if everyone else around him was clicking. Dvorak too has been pretty good but Perlini is a bit of a disappointment. Between this and training camp, I'm starting to wonder where Perlini will fit in.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Marner and Strome are doing all they can with an under-performing supporting cast so far in that tournament.

The lines are not right but perhaps the coach will finally find a combination that works. That would be the best scenario for Canada.

I am just wondering if this is simply not a very talented roster and some guys are just a bit out of their depth there. Some individual plays are really hockey immature but that's what this tournament is about too.

Anyway it is also a tournament that really starts with the elimination games and the first week is quickly forgotten from that point onwards.

On a side note, I have really liked Timo Meier for the Swiss.

Marner has been part of the under-whelming. His issues are on him, not his line mates. He looks mediocre.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Yea this hasn't been our best showing for sure. Canada looks like they have the skill but no chemistry and too much individualism. But Strome is doing well. I can't imagine how much better he would be if everyone else around him was clicking. Dvorak too has been pretty good but Perlini is a bit of a disappointment. Between this and training camp, I'm starting to wonder where Perlini will fit in.
Still lots of time to change things but at this point I see Perlini in the NHL as a real good third liner that will add some offense from the bottom 6

Or as trade bait to add some defense

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Puljujarvi sure looks like a strong player. Could he bee another Selanne? Another high scoring RW from Finland. Better keep a watch on him.

Hard to project anyone to have the upside of a player who averaged a point per game over 1,451 games anyway, but Puljujarvi plays a very different style. I'd liken him to a more assertive Blake Wheeler. His defensive game is very polished for a player his age. He plays in a pretty tight system in Finland, so he's not producing a ton, but as evidenced by his production in the U20s so far, he's got a lot of skill. He should be a good one.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
One thing is for sure, there is a lot of talent at the top of this coming draft and it will take a lot of knowledge to sort out the details of the different leagues and teams to make the right pick. This is one of the only events where scouts get to see them on the same playing field so no wonder so much is made of the WJHC. Hope our guys get it right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Still lots of time to change things but at this point I see Perlini in the NHL as a real good third liner that will add some offense from the bottom 6

Or as trade bait to add some defense

I hope he is better than a real good third liner.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
a game ago Perlini was on the top line.

Perlini has always had moments where he's quiet. he will wake up and score in bunches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad